Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Brittany in August

Brittany in August 5 months 3 weeks ago #464594

• Wyrewanderer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all,
Just picked a new van up a few weeks ago and we are considering going to Brittany in August (this will be our first trip abroad in a caravan).
The coastline, villages and campsites all look great but a posts have been putting me off saying we need to go further south for the weather.

For those who say go further south, is this because you want temps above 25c or because there is a high chance it'll rain for two weeks?

I'd be happy with 18c or above, high 20's is too hot..............two weeks of rain would be another matter!

Anybody speak from experience?

The only guarantee is you can't guarantee the weather anywhere!!
Volvo XC60 2.4D SE Lux
Swift Sprite Super Quattro FB
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Brittany in August 5 months 3 weeks ago #464597

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1379
Wyrewanderer wrote:
Hi all,
Just picked a new van up a few weeks ago and we are considering going to Brittany in August (this will be our first trip abroad in a caravan).
The coastline, villages and campsites all look great but a posts have been putting me off saying we need to go further south for the weather.

For those who say go further south, is this because you want temps above 25c or because there is a high chance it'll rain for two weeks?

I'd be happy with 18c or above, high 20's is too hot..............two weeks of rain would be another matter!

Anybody speak from experience?

The only guarantee is you can't guarantee the weather anywhere!!

Our first foreign holidays were to Britanny and we always had good weather. Of course there were wet days but that’s unavoidable given that its temperate maritime. But our kids still reflect on the good times that they had. Temperatures were always nicely warm but not baking. But of course baking might be the new norm.

As we progressed in adventure we ventured to the Vendee which climate wise is warmer and drier than Britanny with endless beaches. And eventually you finish at Biarittz.

Enjoy Britanny for your first adventure.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by otherclive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung, Wyrewanderer

Brittany in August 5 months 3 weeks ago #464612

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 651
I'm with Clive on that one we have been to france 2 times once to the Loire Valley , the weather was spot on it's a good drive from Calais and the second time to the Dordogne which is a good few hours but worth it in the end , we are doing the Vendee and Loire Valley this year and can't wait , it's about 5 or 6 hour drive from Calais but also worth it .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Brittany in August 5 months 3 weeks ago #464613

• Wyrewanderer
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the reply's.
We haven't fully decide on Brittany yet, I suppose one reason its on the list is it's closeness to the ports. The Vendee and Loire Valley have been looked at as well.
Out of interest, where abouts in the Loire and Vendee have you been and how long did it take you?
We travel from Lancashire to Cornwall in one hit so don't mind a bit of a journey if need be!
Volvo XC60 2.4D SE Lux

Brittany in August 5 months 3 weeks ago #464615

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
The first place we done was
www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=...KHQulDLQQ0Qx6BAgMEAE
but we did a stop over at a site nr Le man's then continued the next day as it was quite a hike , then we done the Dordogne www.soleilplage.fr/ even though we had a good 5am start in the morning it still took about 8 hours though , and it was a lovely site as we spent most of the time on the river which was a 2 minute walk from the site , this year we are going to
www.google.co.uk/search?safe=active&clie...5i304i39.CGsX5HB7jKg , I think this is about the 5 hour drive 6 with a break or 3 but I'm not bothered about that.. B)

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Craigyoung.

Brittany in August 5 months 3 weeks ago #464617

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
But before you venture over there a good tip would be to get yourself a good caravan sat nav kit , you need one for driving abroad !

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
Sorry !!

Brittany in August 5 months 3 weeks ago #464619

• Wyrewanderer
  • Junior Boarder
Any suggestions on the Sat Nav kit?
Volvo XC60 2.4D SE Lux

Brittany in August 5 months 3 weeks ago #464622

• Woodentop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171
This may sound a daft question, but why are you going in August? France is packed with Grockles at that time. Best time if you can is mid June just into the beginning of July before Le Grand Depart of city dwellers to the coast takes place.

Brittany in August 5 months 3 weeks ago #464623

• Wyrewanderer
  • Junior Boarder
I know but unfortunately we are stuck to school holidays, not ideal but for another few years we are stuck with it.
Would the Loire valley be quieter in August than the coast?
Volvo XC60 2.4D SE Lux

Brittany in August 5 months 3 weeks ago #464624

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
Wyrewanderer wrote:
Any suggestions on the Sat Nav kit?

We have this one but we've had it for a few years now but there's a lot on the market to choose from and like you are stuck to six week holidays but we just get on with it .

Another tip is if you do decide to go is drive to Dover first stop the night and get an early shuttle ( 35 mins ) or ferry across ( 1h4o ) so that you are fresh in the morning for driving .

Happy hunting !!

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Craigyoung.

Most recent caravan reviews

Hymer Nova 470GL - The Hymer Nova offers great build quality, meaning it's no lightweight van (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)