Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2

Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2 1 year 3 months ago #431885

• ericd2477
  • Fresh Boarder
Problem is fumes coming into caravan when using Thetford Fridge on GAS.
I have been caravanning for 30 years now and have used Fridges on Gas most of that time. Electrolux, Dometic and Thetford (Norcold) over that time I have had Two major problems with them .
1. Electrolux Fridge fitted incorrectly and vented fumes into Caravan . This nearly killed our family. But was a simple fix as the fridge vent missed the external flue when assembled at Lunar.
2. Thetford N97 Fridge Venting fumes into Coachman 470/2 Caravan - Solution was to try to reseal cabinet.
Then it was a list as long as my arm of Faults with the Thetford N97 Fridge Burners x 4 , Circuit Board, Digital Display and finally the fault that killed it corrosion of the Gas Cooling unit vented all the gas and Thetford could not supply a new one. £800 for new fridge.

So I got a New Caravan and compromised on the Fridge Thetford. I thought they must have sorted the problems out by now .
How wrong was I !!! Been out in the van 5 times now and the fumes are that strong my wife wont sit on the same side as the fridge.

I removed the vent covers and to my horror it was the same setup of a flue which vents into the Cabinet but worse than before because Coachman have fitted a Double Baffle at the top of the Cabinet which actually Traps the Hot Gasses Inside the Cabinet.

This would NEVER be allowed in a HOUSE WHY is it ALLOWED in A CONFINED CARAVAN ???????
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2 1 year 3 months ago #431902

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 518
This sounds very dangerous if the exhaust gas from the fridge is getting into the caravan. I would be looking first towards Trading Standards who might take action as a technical report would be needed. If the set up is that dangerous then there is a serious risk to life and action needs to be taken.
Have you contacted Coachman to see what they say?
Ray

Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2 1 year 3 months ago #431911

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1031
ericd2477 wrote:
Problem is fumes coming into caravan when using Thetford Fridge on GAS.
I have been caravanning for 30 years now and have used Fridges on Gas most of that time. Electrolux, Dometic and Thetford (Norcold) over that time I have had Two major problems with them .
1. Electrolux Fridge fitted incorrectly and vented fumes into Caravan . This nearly killed our family. But was a simple fix as the fridge vent missed the external flue when assembled at Lunar.
2. Thetford N97 Fridge Venting fumes into Coachman 470/2 Caravan - Solution was to try to reseal cabinet.
Then it was a list as long as my arm of Faults with the Thetford N97 Fridge Burners x 4 , Circuit Board, Digital Display and finally the fault that killed it corrosion of the Gas Cooling unit vented all the gas and Thetford could not supply a new one. £800 for new fridge.

So I got a New Caravan and compromised on the Fridge Thetford. I thought they must have sorted the problems out by now .
How wrong was I !!! Been out in the van 5 times now and the fumes are that strong my wife wont sit on the same side as the fridge.

I removed the vent covers and to my horror it was the same setup of a flue which vents into the Cabinet but worse than before because Coachman have fitted a Double Baffle at the top of the Cabinet which actually Traps the Hot Gasses Inside the Cabinet.

This would NEVER be allowed in a HOUSE WHY is it ALLOWED in A CONFINED CARAVAN ???????

I am very sorry to read of your experiences. The fitting of gas fridges should be subject to the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations, which firstly set out the products must be installed safely and in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. Being a gas burning product a caravan fridge should be constructed and installed using room sealing techniques which will provide adequate segregation between the gas and flue circuit and the living space.

Whilst that might appear to suggest a perfect seal should be the norm, in fact there are permitted leak rates determined by the gas consumption of the burner. There is no way a consumer could reasonably check for the installations compliance with the regulations and so you have to rely on the design and constructional prowess of the manufacturer and dealer.

I in no way wish to diminish the seriousness of what has happened to you, and I can understand your sensitivity to the matter. What does really surprise me is that your experience was attributed to the fridge. The reason I question it is because the fridges burner is a relatively small 100 to 150W. Even if this were discharging into the living space, the amount of fixed ventilation that is a regulatory requirement should have diluted any build up of dangerous products of combustion.

When you also consider that the cooker hob has burners of much greater capacity and the fixed ventilation is designed to mange that it really highlights my reason to wonder if the fridge was the only problem your older caravan had?

Having raised my concern, It still doesn't detract from your need to be certain about your appliances, and I support Rays suggestions.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2 1 year 3 months ago #431913

• ericd2477
  • Fresh Boarder
Not Contacted Coachman but have contacted dealer who is having a look at it in 8 weeks time

Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2 1 year 3 months ago #431917

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 830
Exactly when did you take delivery of your new Coachman ?
8 weeks to look at a potential gas rated problem does seem a long time.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Dustydog. Reason: typo

Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2 1 year 3 months ago #431918

• ericd2477
  • Fresh Boarder
This is a photo of the gap between the baffles which allows the fumes to rise into the gap between the wall an cabinet . As a mechanical engineer I could have done better with my eyes shut
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Parksy. Reason: Privacy issue resolved

Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2 1 year 3 months ago #431919

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1031
ericd2477 wrote:
This is a photo of the gap between the baffles which allows the fumes to rise into the gap between the wall an cabinet . As a mechanical engineer I could have done better with my eyes shut

I don't think its wise to link to a Facebook page. And I could not see a picture of the gap you relate.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Parksy. Reason: Privacy issue resolved
The following user(s) said Thank You: ericd2477

Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2 1 year 3 months ago #431936

• ericd2477
  • Fresh Boarder
Got caravan end of January this year , it was one they had got stuck with but brand new

Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2 1 year 3 months ago #431937

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 890
ericd2477 wrote:

I've edited your comment and the quote from the Prof to remove the link to your​ Facebook account Eric .
To post pictures to the message boards
please see the instructions on the Our Website message board.
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LizziePope, ericd2477

Thetford Fridge Venting In to Coachman VIP 460/2 1 year 3 months ago #431939

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 830
www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulati...WXp8mq3NChoCsbTw_wcB
Eric.
Read the above. Tell the Dealer you are fully conversant with the Consumer Credit Act. The two months delay to check your caravan is far too on so you would like an immediate refund.
Hopefully they will move rapidly!
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ericd2477

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 640 - The Bailey Phoenix 640 is a great starter van for comfort-seeking couples (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Adora Sava 623 DT - For 2019, Adria introduces a brand new model, the 5-berth twin-axle Adora Sava (© Practical Motorhome)
The Unicorn Vigo has had a facelift - The fourth generation of the Vigo has a revamped look to the front of the van (© Practical Caravan)
Osprey 866 exterior - The Elddis Osprey 866 dealer special edition has unique decals down its GRP sides (© Practical Caravan/Andrew Jenkinson)