Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thetford fridge not working

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 2 days ago #437617

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
Not working on gas or electric - kept plugged in all of the time so not lying dormant at anytime. Any ideas fridge is 2012.

Not digital model.

Thanks. Paul
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 2 days ago #437630

• VicMallows
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Does the condenser (the big black coil at the back) get hot ... particularly towards the top ?

If it does, but the fridge itself does not get cold, then most probably it has lost refrigerant (ammonia), although this is rather unusual in a fridge only 6 years old which previously worked well. Sometimes it can be due to an air-lock developing, and you may have success with the old trick of turning the fridge upside-down for 24hrs. However in my experience this is often just a short term fix ....and of course is a lot of effort with a built-in fridge.

Sadly, when absorption fridges fail in this way there is not really any economical way of repairing them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pauliil1948

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 2 days ago #437638

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for that ,I will have a look and check that out ,many thanks,

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 2 days ago #437643

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
Pauliil1948 wrote:
Thanks for that ,I will have a look and check that out ,many thanks,
f hi what if the condenser dose not get warm ,

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 2 days ago #437650

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 345
If you have heat at the chimney, where the gas burner is located and the electric elements are, but no heat transferring to the cooling matrix (which should be very hot on the right hand side at the top, slightly cooler on the left hand top and gradually reducing the lower you go) then the cooling matrix has failed and with Thetford fridges that means a new fridge.

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 1 day ago #437662

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
Damian-Moderator wrote:
If you have heat at the chimney, where the gas burner is located and the electric elements are, but no heat transferring to the cooling matrix (which should be very hot on the right hand side at the top, slightly cooler on the left hand top and gradually reducing the lower you go) then the cooling matrix has failed and with Thetford fridges that means a new fridge.
hi tried it on gas 12volt and mains don't think the gas was has ignited ,tried it a few times the indicator dose not go green and the chimney isn't warn , nor is the condenser,everything stone cold,thanks.

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 1 day ago #437668

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 351
Pauli, meet up with me on Monday when , my Thetford man is coming out to check my fridge out and give me the bad news that the PCB is duff. KERCHING, £££. Then send it off for repair. Less Kerching ££
Hutch
The site must be around here somewhere.????
2014, Sante Fe, 2013 Coachman, 560, VIP, Woburn Sands , Milton Keynes
Sir Were-Rabbit.
On a Chair, at the Woosie, Round Table.

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 1 day ago #437702

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
What is the price of a new fridge , is it possible it could be the heating element, I don't know just someone just suggested that , iam no expert with fridges,thanks again guys ,

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 1 day ago #437704

• timhowarduk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
is it possible it could be the heating element
Sadly this is unlikely. There are three different ways of generating the heat; the mains element, the 12v element and the gas burner. You say the first two are not working and it would unusual in any case for both elements to die together.
The usual first-principles test is running on gas, which is a simple burner. Are you 100% sure the gas is lighting and staying lit? If so, and it still isn't working then as said above it's unfortunately likely to mean a new fridge.
If you can't get the gas to stay lit, then there might be other avenues worth exploring.

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 1 day ago #437708

• VicMallows
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Both my initial response, and Damians, assumed that you DID have a source of heat working. It now seems that you do not, in which case of course the fridge will not get cold.

Can you confirm that your fridge is an older style manual type with a selector switch to select 12v/230v/gas, and a press-button piezo igniter to light the gas while holding in an adjustment knob; also a little meter where the pointer moves to the green sector when the gas lights? Has the fridge worked properly on gas recently ..... or are you only now trying it on gas because it stopped working on 230v?

It is entirely possible that the 230v element has failed ..... but it could equally be another electrical problem such as a fuse, MCB, or even the thermostat. (It is by no means unknown for a switched- socket where the fridge plugs in to get accidentally knocked off!). If you know how to use a multimeter it is easy to check the heating element etc with the fridge disconnected by measuring the resistance. A new element is relatively cheap and easy to install.

I would forget about working on 12v for now. The way normally wired, the fridge will only work on 12v when the car engine is actually running, and you would have to wait a long time before noticing the heat. There are also numerous other potential problems with the wiring which could confuse the issue.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 day ago by VicMallows.
  • Page:

Follow us on