Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thetford fridge not working

Thetford fridge not working 3 months 3 weeks ago #438035

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi vic ,yes it is the model you describe,and wee have never had to use it on gas till now ,I never knew that the button pressed in till you said ,that would explain why I couldn't get it to light it is now been on for a couple of hours and is working fine, there is power both 12v and 240volt at the plugs at the rear of the fridge, but no heat or anything , does this mean it could be the heating element,many thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thetford fridge not working 3 months 3 weeks ago #438102

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi vic , yes it is the older type, it is the first time I have tried it on gas ,I did not know that the button pressed in I thought it was just a high or low setting for the fridge,I held it in and it light and is now been on for a few hours and is working fine on gas,yes I have a meter and can check the element if I know where to look , the fridge has got mains power at the plug at the back of the fridge,thanks for all your help guys ,

Thetford fridge not working 3 months 3 weeks ago #438105

• VicMallows
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
Pleased that you have sorted it on gas!

The electric elements are thin metal tubes tucked in under the glasswool-insulated heating tube directly above the gas burner. You can normally access this easily after removing the external ventilation grills. If you can measure resistance, the 230v element should be something like 350 ohms. The 12v element will be just a few ohms, so will appear to be nearly a short circuit if OK.

The external grills have catches to release them. On mine each has two slide catches near the top which you slide towards the middle to release. There are variations, but they all work in a similar way.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by VicMallows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anseo, Pauliil1948

Thetford fridge not working 3 months 2 weeks ago #438306

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi vic I have checked both elements and the 12v one is ok but the 230 v one is not ,so I have ordered one and should have it in by Thursday,fingers crossed all should be good , will report back thanks

Thetford fridge not working 3 months 3 days ago #439254

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks to everyone ,fitted new element and all is fine,much appreciated.

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 2 weeks ago #440179

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi guys ,seem to have another problem with my fridge,put new element in and was working fine for a couple weeks,now it's stopped , so it is warm where the chimney is and not anywhere else with the 240volt , now I have lite the gas it's getting cold again,not sure what that means now , any help much appreciated.

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 2 weeks ago #440185

• VicMallows
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
Well, you say it was working OK on 230v after you replaced the element, but it is not now. You also say that it is still working OK on gas. It is reasonable to conclude therefore that your 230v element is not now providing enough heat.
The first thing we need to know is whether the element is actually consuming the power needed to produce the required heat (about 130w). The element itself could have an intermittent fault (unlikely); the thermostat could be faulty; or there could be a high resistance somewhere in the circuit which is either intermittent or has occurred since the fridge was last working OK on 230v.

The easiest way to analyse this is with a cheap plug-in power monitor if you have one.....you can just leave it for a few hours and see if the power consumed (Wh) is as you would expect. Alternatively you could monitor the current with a multimeter, but would need to keep a close eye on it to spot an intermittent problem.

If the element is in fact consuming the power you would expect, then it is probably not making good enough thermal contact with the refrigerant pipe in the heat stack. (I can't think why this might have changed since you replaced the element though)
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by VicMallows.

Thetford fridge not working 2 months 2 weeks ago #440190

• Pauliil1948
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks again I will have look at it during the week many thanks
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 570/4

£16,499

The Practical Caravan Venus 570/4 review – 1 - Tweaked for 2018, the Venus 570/4 is priced from £16,499 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on