Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 12v Accessory socket problem

12v Accessory socket problem 2 months 2 weeks ago #440120

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 146
Hi
Well if you're going off the grid , point taken about wanting the 12 volt system working otherwise a dustpan and brush is the other cheap option !! ha ha !! :P
Good luck
Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone)!?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

12v Accessory socket problem 2 months 2 weeks ago #440227

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 596
Craigyoung wrote:
Hi
Well if you're going off the grid , point taken about wanting the 12 volt system working otherwise a dustpan and brush is the other cheap option !! ha ha !! :P
Good luck

Quite right Craig. You can't beat a good scrubber :P
Anseo.
What's you vac wattage rating?
It is not uncommon for the 12v plug and or socket to short internally causing a fuse to blow.
May be worth checking their wiring.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Dustydog.

12v Accessory socket problem 2 months 1 week ago #440300

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 102
Sir Dustydog wrote:

Anseo.
It is not uncommon for the 12v plug and or socket to short internally causing a fuse to blow.

Hi Sir Sir Dustydog ,

Sorry for the late reply.

Sir Dustydog, label on the appliance shows 120w.

Thanks,
Anseo
Sir Haggis
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Anseo.

12v Accessory socket problem 2 months 1 week ago #440303

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 596
Anseo wrote:
Sir Dustydog wrote:

Anseo.

Hi Sir Sir Dustydog ,

Sorry for the late reply.

Sir Dustydog, label on the appliance shows 120w.

Thanks,
Anseo
Sir Haggis.
I'd check the plug and socket wiring for a loose wire causing a short.
Have you tried the cleaner on the car socket?
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

12v Accessory socket problem 2 months 1 week ago #440456

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
[quote="Dustydog"
Sir Haggis.
I'd check the plug and socket wiring for a loose wire causing a short.
Have you tried the cleaner on the car socket?[/quote]

Dustydog, the vac works fine when used in the car, I have not checked the socket wiring as yet.

Cheers,
Anseo
Sir Haggis
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Anseo.

12v Accessory socket problem 2 months 1 week ago #440462

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
But have you tried it again in the caravan yet on the 12v ?? :huh:

C.

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone)!?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anseo

12v Accessory socket problem 2 months 1 week ago #440523

• glenno
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
If its 120watt then at 12v its pulling 10amps. If the voltage is 13.8v (on EHU) then the draw is 8.7amps. Pretty close to the 10amp capacity of the fuse in that circuit - and that fuse might be supplying other items such as radio or tv antenna.

Best not to use that vac in the van unless you have a good supply of fuses.

Don't put a higher amp fuse in - that's not a good thing to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

12v Accessory socket problem 2 months 1 week ago #440526

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 728
glenno wrote:
If its 120watt then at 12v its pulling 10amps. If the voltage is 13.8v (on EHU) then the draw is 8.7amps. Pretty close to the 10amp capacity of the fuse in that circuit - and that fuse might be supplying other items such as radio or tv antenna.

Best not to use that vac in the van unless you have a good supply of fuses.

Don't put a higher amp fuse in - that's not a good thing to do.

Hold on there! You have an error in your basic volts amps and watts. Most appliances are not constant wattage (including 12v dc vacuum cleaners) The wattage will vary depending on the supply voltage.

An appliance is given a rated wattage at a specified voltage, so from that you can calculate the current at that voltage, but what essentially defines the current is the resistance of the appliance. Now I fully appreciate that a motor is not a constant resistance device, but for the purposes of this post a 120W device running at 12V will consume 10A and that gives an equivalent resistance of 1.2Ohms

If you increase the supply voltage across a resistance the current goes up in this case 13.8V /1.2Ohms = 11.5Amps which in turn produces a wattage of 159W!

In practice it is not quite that simple becasue motors are not constant resistance devices, but the same general principle applies, increase a supply voltage and the current will increase also. This is good enough for this type of situation.

If a power socket in a car is rated at 10A (at 12V) that socket should be capable of supplying 10A without blowing a fuse, Equally as the 12 supply in a car can often reach 14.4V when the alternator is charging, most fuses should withstand a nominal 12V 10A load being fed with 14.4V and producing a current of 12A without rupturing.

Filament fuses do suffer wear, and if one has continually been operated at close to its limit, it may fail with time, or if the is only a marginal excess current. and or vibration.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

12v Accessory socket problem 2 months 1 week ago #440535

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
Craigyoung:
I have tested the vac in the caravan 12v system and it worked OK, but I was not on EHU at the time, I will get round to testing on EHU this weekend.

glenno:
I have a plentiful supply of fuses :lol:
I'd prefer not to uprate the fuse and if it does blow when on EHU then I can make a point of switching off EHU for the small amount of time I will be using the vac, not a big deal considering how little the vac is used.

Prof:
You have me wondering what fuse rating is used in the car 12v accessory socket, I must check that out also (the vac works fine in the car.).

Thanks all.
Sir Haggis

12v Accessory socket problem 2 months 1 week ago #440553

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
The fuse rating is a chance to be higher in the car as when our kettle blew the fuse in the caravan I checked it in the car to see if it was problem on the kettle that had gone but as soon as I put it in on the car it worked straight away ? As it happened we never did use that kettle it was meant to be for when we were in the Eurotunnel crossing and then driving through France to plug in and boil whilst on the move but that didn't happen !!! :P

Craig

Sir Crying - will get to

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 570/4

£16,499

The Practical Caravan Venus 570/4 review – 1 - Tweaked for 2018, the Venus 570/4 is priced from £16,499 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on