Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Swift Sprite Roof Joint Tape

Swift Sprite Roof Joint Tape 2 months 3 weeks ago #439822

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 221
Gave the caravan a good cleaning today and noticed that the tape which covers the rear roof joint that goes across the caravan had been damaged by a tree/hedge bough. The damage isn't extensive and consists of a tear near to the off side rear corner. The tear is contained within the overall width of the tape and hasn't breached the edges. I was thinking of using craft knife to remove the damaged section of tape, and to make a rectangular cut out within the tape. Then by using section of new tape I would cut out a section that would fit into the neat rectangular hole that I had cut out in preparation for the repair. Then I would cover the repaired area with an extended section of tape overlapping the repair by around three inches each side. Unlike some Swift group owners both my front and rear taped joints are neat and well bonded to the caravan. The tape covers the joint seal so is for additional protection to the joint seal itself. So complete removal of what is a well bonded joint tape across the whole width of the van isn't necessary.

Can anyone please tell me the specification, or supplier of the jointing tape or similar?
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Swift Sprite Roof Joint Tape 2 months 3 weeks ago #439829

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 728
I'll bet your Swift dealer or repair centre will carry it
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Swift Sprite Roof Joint Tape 2 months 3 weeks ago #439830

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks I guess they will but I was preferring an online purchase rather than a long drive. I plan to ring the two Swift dealers “ local” to see if they stock it. In the meantime as its not a primary seal the clear duct tape I have used will suffice. The van is due a service in December so I could wait till then I guess. My other option would be to tidy up the gouge and use Sugru.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by otherclive.

Swift Sprite Roof Joint Tape 2 months 3 weeks ago #439852

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 728
Try ringing them to see if they will post it to you?
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Swift Sprite Roof Joint Tape 2 months 3 weeks ago #439857

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
ProfJohnL wrote:
Try ringing them to see if they will post it to you?

John,
Thanks Already in hand they are looking to see if they have any.
Todays "challenge: has been the roof light cleaning!
Cheers

Swift Sprite Roof Joint Tape 2 months 3 weeks ago #439859

• thosoneill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
otherclive wrote:
Todays "challenge: has been the roof light cleaning!
Cheers
Oh the joys of caravanning
Abbey Iona vogue
VW golf 1.6 tdi match edition
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive

Swift Sprite Roof Joint Tape 2 months 3 weeks ago #439861

• VicMallows
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
How wide is your tape? There is plenty of 'Elddis' roof tape on Ebay, but it's only 29mm, which seems rather narrow to me. (My Elddis doesn't have anything resembling tape on the roof).

Swift Sprite Roof Joint Tape 2 months 3 weeks ago #439863

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
The roof tapes on Ebay are for internal ceiling/wall joints. I suspect my external tape is a butyl or EPDM. Got a call in to "local" Swift dealer to see if they have any. The temporary repair of Duct tape clear glazing tape has held thus far. I use it on the greenhouse and it does a good job. It will probably stay on the van for years!
Cheers

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 570/4

£16,499

The Practical Caravan Venus 570/4 review – 1 - Tweaked for 2018, the Venus 570/4 is priced from £16,499 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on