Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: What sealant (replacing external power socket)

What sealant (replacing external power socket) 2 months 2 weeks ago #440207

• Jules_ht
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi All,

I managed to leave the external power socket cover flap open on my Bailey Pageant S5- and somewhere on the M5 the wind took it off, beaking the hinges at the housing.

I've sourced a new entire housing and door, and am happy fitting it- but I'm wondering if I need to use a specific sealant type (as oppose to just using silicone, which would be my default)?

Thanks,

Jules.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What sealant (replacing external power socket) 2 months 2 weeks ago #440210

• audiorob
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
W4 Mastic sealing strip is available in various lengths on Ebay. I found a helpful YouTube video (actually replacing a water inlet) that might be worth a viewing using the W4 tape - Look up 'Replacing a Truma Water Inlet'. Incidentally did you purchase the more recent replacement inlet with sliding cover that saves the 'blowing in the wind' effect if the flap type is not fully closed before travel!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jules_ht

What sealant (replacing external power socket) 2 months 2 weeks ago #440211

• Jules_ht
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks I'll have a look at that stuff. The video is informative. I particularly liked the "Haynes manual" style of glossing over what I suspect looks like the tricky part- removing the old mastic. The vid started off with shed loads of really sticky looking mastic left on the van once he'd cut out the part, then a quick cut to "remove old mastic" that already had 90% of it removed and he gave it a bit of a rub with a sponge that appeared to do nothing to the remaining mastic! Is soapy water the best thing for getting it off or is a solvent useful?

This is the part Bailey recommended, I'm happy to go along with that in the absence of alternative advice.

www.bailey-parts.co.uk/product/1150020
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Jules_ht. Reason: Elucidation

What sealant (replacing external power socket) 2 months 2 weeks ago #440213

• biley_adam
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
You remove all the old mastic left on the 'van using a plastic scraper, white spirit and a cloth. You then wipe over with meths to remove any residue from the white spirit.

You are then ready to fit the new one!

What sealant (replacing external power socket) 2 months 2 weeks ago #440215

• Jules_ht
  • Expert Boarder
Cool, I expected there was more to it than the chap videoed!

Might reseal the fridge vent cover whilst I'm at it, it's been getting a bit loose and I've bought 5M of the stuff.

What sealant (replacing external power socket) 2 months 2 weeks ago #440220

• biley_adam
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
That's exactly what I did! Bought 5m and ended up doing toilet door, battery box etc. Worth knowing it's done :-)

What sealant (replacing external power socket) 2 months 2 weeks ago #440240

• welshti
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
After taking off the awning rails recently and resealing with this sealant, I had tubes left which I used to do the outside locker doors, toilet door and all truma housings. Great stuff and cheaper than the sikaflex 512. Be careful not to mark outside of the area which is to be resealed when removing the old tape / sealant :angry: gives a nice finish to the job once the excess has been removed.

Pembrokeshire, South Wales

What sealant (replacing external power socket) 2 months 1 week ago #440302

• DrZhivago
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
biley_adam wrote:
You remove all the old mastic [using] white spirit and a cloth. You then wipe over with meths to remove any residue from the white spirit.
Does white spirit leave a residue? I have used it for cleaning for years and it had never occured to me that it did not wipe/evaporate completely away. This afternoon I was using it to clean up a photographic flashgun I got from ebay (must have been a sticky label on it once) and I was particularly looking at the smooth black plastic under a bright light to check it was completely clean and saw nothing remaining, but I'm prepared to be wrong.

What sealant (replacing external power socket) 2 months 1 week ago #440318

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 222
Where I'm looking for a clean surface to stick something to I always us meths or isopropanol after using white spirit or sticky stuff remover.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

What sealant (replacing external power socket) 2 months 1 week ago #440324

• intransient1
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
I have just had to reseal one of my rails, I used W4 mastic to reseat the rail on then used Sikaflex 512 to seal round the rail giving a cleaner smoother finish and hopefully stop the dirty edges that only using mastic ends up with.
Intransient1
2012 VW Touran, Lunar Ultima 560
Don't dream of living, live your dreams.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 570/4

£16,499

The Practical Caravan Venus 570/4 review – 1 - Tweaked for 2018, the Venus 570/4 is priced from £16,499 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on