Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 days ago #450721

  • Brasso530
  • Brasso530's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 165
  • Thank you received: 64
Hi all,Query for our tech bods.Sticker by door usual stuff,make model miro(1089) and mtplm(1253) tire pressure.
Sticker in gas locker,Elddis explorer group,then loads of numbers/ letters(assume type approval),next line 1253,next line 0-100 kg(assume nose weight limit),next line 1-1350(axle max)next line 2-nothing/ blank.
So my question is,if I get pulled over towing and let's say I'm showing 1320kg on weightbridge,am I illegal? Car is over 1600 kerb weight,can tow 1800kg,and I'm full licence entitled.I asked at several dealers coz I thought the gas locker one was the chassis upgrade plate you can get,no one could give me an answer and elddis just fobbed me off.
Thanks in advance.
2014 Kuga 2ltr tdi,2014 explore 530
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 days ago #450724

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 11248
  • Thank you received: 1126
Hello Brasso

Its important to understand that becasue a caravan is not manufactured by just one company, but is actually classed as a "multi-stage product" that uses major components from a number of different suppliers some of which have to meet individual type approval standards. The last company to add weight or load critical components is authorised to to set the weight limits for the whole product.

This means the chassis components will be rated by the chassis supplier, but becasue the body is added afterwards, the caravan manufacture has the right to set lower weight limits to never to exceed the strength body work they have fitted, or lower to suit their marketing strategy.

A conforming data plate has to be This means the conforming vehicle data plate fitted by the body manufacture will be the one that would be taken into account by the authorities, when checking the loads acting in the caravan and towing vehicle.

I refer you to the almost identical thread in the "Caravan Weight. Carefull." in the Technical section with Lutz's reply

Lutz wrote:
As discussed to death in another forum, the so-called plate by the door (actually usually a sticker) has no legal bearing if it doesn't comply with the requirements for a statutory plate - and many of them don't. On a caravan built after implementation of whole vehicle type approval (in most cases Oct 2014) to be legal, it's also got to display the type approval number and the maximum permitted axle loads. If it doesn't, it's not a legal plate and one will probably find another plate, the actual statutory one, in the front locker and that is binding.
Often the sticker next to the door serves only to confirm that the caravan meets NCC approval, but NCC approval has nothing to do with what legislation requires.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
Last Edit: 5 months 3 days ago by ProfJohnL.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brasso530

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 days ago #450727

  • Lutz
  • Lutz's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 8768
  • Thank you received: 60
Brasso530 wrote:
Hi all,Query for our tech bods.Sticker by door usual stuff,make model miro(1089) and mtplm(1253) tire pressure.
Sticker in gas locker,Elddis explorer group,then loads of numbers/ letters(assume type approval),next line 1253,next line 0-100 kg(assume nose weight limit),next line 1-1350(axle max)next line 2-nothing/ blank.
So my question is,if I get pulled over towing and let's say I'm showing 1320kg on weightbridge,am I illegal? Car is over 1600 kerb weight,can tow 1800kg,and I'm full licence entitled.I asked at several dealers coz I thought the gas locker one was the chassis upgrade plate you can get,no one could give me an answer and elddis just fobbed me off.
Thanks in advance.

Let me add to some of the comments that I made in the thread that the Prof referred to.
At least the MTPLM shown on the sticker by the door (1253kg) agrees with that on the statutory plate. That is not always the case. The 1350kg is, as you say, the maximum permissible axle load, but that doesn't mean that you're OK if your caravan weighs 1320kg. The MTPLM remains the absolute limit. It just means that the caravan manufacturer could upgrade the caravan from 1253kg to 1350kg subject to certain conditions being fulfilled. The caravan must be technically OK to cope with the upgrade. For instance, the tyre load index must be adequate. The caravan manufacturer must also have covered the higher MTPLM in his type approval documentation. That is why only the manufacturer can issue a plate with a revised figure.

Things get a bit screwed up where the sticker by the door shows a lower MTPLM than the plate in the front locker, as is the case with some other makes. That just shows that the manufacturer hasn't grasped the purpose of each plate. The one by the door is in line with NCC (National Caravan Council) requirements and they calculate an MTPLM according to a formula based on the size of the caravan and the number of berths, but which really has nothing to do with the actual technical load carrying capacity. It is therefore for guidance only. The legal limit is that shown on the statutory plate which can be identified by the one that displays the type approval number.

The one in the front locker is not the chassis plate. There should be a further plate on the chassis frame itself which is the actual chassis plate, but it is important only for the Stage 2 build, in other words the caravan manufacturer. It is the caravan manufacturer who finally determines the load carrying capacity of the finished product.
BMW X4 3.0d
Dethleffs Beduin 545V
Last Edit: 5 months 3 days ago by Lutz.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ProfJohnL, Brasso530

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 days ago #450728

  • Brasso530
  • Brasso530's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 165
  • Thank you received: 64
Cheers guys,just wanted it clearing up as I couldn't get an answer anywhere.1253 it is,cheers.
2014 Kuga 2ltr tdi,2014 explore 530
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 days ago #450732

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 4691
  • Thank you received: 837
Brasso530 wrote:
Hi all,Query for our tech bods.Sticker by door usual stuff,make model miro(1089) and mtplm(1253) tire pressure.
Sticker in gas locker,Elddis explorer group,then loads of numbers/ letters(assume type approval),next line 1253,next line 0-100 kg(assume nose weight limit),next line 1-1350(axle max)next line 2-nothing/ blank.
So my question is,if I get pulled over towing and let's say I'm showing 1320kg on weightbridge,am I illegal? Car is over 1600 kerb weight,can tow 1800kg,and I'm full licence entitled.I asked at several dealers coz I thought the gas locker one was the chassis upgrade plate you can get,no one could give me an answer and elddis just fobbed me off.
Thanks in advance.

Th gas locker plate is installed at manufacture. When I had an upgrade from Swift and Bailey I received new tally plate to go on the side near the door, and an updated Certificate of Compliance showing the new loading details against the chassis number. So my locker plate showed three figure. Top one 1300kg, Line 0 100 kg and Line 1 1300 kg.
So there no doubt it serves to confuse as if said above the door plate has no significance then the pervious owner could have accepted 1300kg as the MTPLM as shown in the locker plate without transgressing the law. I remain firmly of the view that we enjoy the products of a cottage industry! Just look at how payload loading is defined as well.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 5 months 3 days ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 days ago #450736

  • Raywood
  • Raywood's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 3614
  • Thank you received: 568
If the plate inside the gas locker is an Eldiss one and shows a higher weight than that by the door then it would be very difficult for the prosecution to prove that a caravan weighing something between the two was overloaded. I would doubt that if this higher weight plate bearing the Eldiss name was shown to whoever weighed the caravan that they would take the risk of creating a new precedent but you never know.
If the second plate was the chassis manufacturer then the Eldiss one would prevail.
I am still of the opinion that where the caravan manufacturer would upgrade the weights with no change to the caravan to a figure above the weight when checked that a court would be unlikely to convict assuming the caravan manufacturer confirmed that the caravan was in fact safe at that weight. As far as I know it has never been tested possibly because the prosecution would not want to test that theory or possibly the defence has never been tried.
Ray
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 days ago #450742

  • Lutz
  • Lutz's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 8768
  • Thank you received: 60
Raywood wrote:
If the plate inside the gas locker is an Eldiss one and shows a higher weight than that by the door then it would be very difficult for the prosecution to prove that a caravan weighing something between the two was overloaded. I would doubt that if this higher weight plate bearing the Eldiss name was shown to whoever weighed the caravan that they would take the risk of creating a new precedent but you never know.
If the second plate was the chassis manufacturer then the Eldiss one would prevail.
I am still of the opinion that where the caravan manufacturer would upgrade the weights with no change to the caravan to a figure above the weight when checked that a court would be unlikely to convict assuming the caravan manufacturer confirmed that the caravan was in fact safe at that weight. As far as I know it has never been tested possibly because the prosecution would not want to test that theory or possibly the defence has never been tried.

Eldiss seem to have got things right inasmuch as their plate in the locker agrees with the one next to the door and both carry the Eldiss name.
Yes, the plates applied by the caravan manufacturer will prevail but the chassis plate is often not readily visible anyway, especially when it is hidden behind the A-frame fairing, as is very likely.
BMW X4 3.0d
Dethleffs Beduin 545V
Last Edit: 5 months 3 days ago by Lutz.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 days ago #450744

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 11248
  • Thank you received: 1126
This topic has highlighted an issue that does need further investigation.

We know that some caravan manufacturers issue a caravan with an artificially lowered MTPLM make their caravans more attractive to drivers who do not have entitlement BE on their licence. If the driver chooses a caravan based on the manufacturers advertised (and lowered NCC value) MTPLM but the caravan has fixed plate with a higher stated MTPLM.

If the NCC plate is now classed as not official, and the authorities will use the fixed plate to establish the caravans legal MTPLM, the driver may now be driving without a valid licence for the vehicle.

This may mean caravan manufactures have to stop reducing MTPLMs and thus being able to offer upgrades.

However there is a formal process already in place for HGV's. Vehicle manufacturers produce vehicles as large as possible and with as much weight capacity as they can, but the greater the weight limit the more it is taxed. But there are industries where they need a large volume transport, but the density of the goods is low so they don't need the manufactured weight capacity with its high taxation rate.

Such companies can apply to have the "plated load" capacity reduced to reduce the taxation burden. The original manufactures data plate remains permanently attached to the vehicle but , The "Plate" is attached to the vehicle, but it is not permanent. (rather like the NCC sticker) The plate is accepted and used by the authorities.

Does the NCC sticker carry the same authority as the HGV plate?
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 days ago #450747

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 4691
  • Thank you received: 837
ProfJohnL wrote:
This topic has highlighted an issue that does need further investigation.

We know that some caravan manufacturers issue a caravan with an artificially lowered MTPLM make their caravans more attractive to drivers who do not have entitlement BE on their licence. If the driver chooses a caravan based on the manufacturers advertised (and lowered NCC value) MTPLM but the caravan has fixed plate with a higher stated MTPLM.

If the NCC plate is now classed as not official, and the authorities will use the fixed plate to establish the caravans legal MTPLM, the driver may now be driving without a valid licence for the vehicle.

This may mean caravan manufactures have to stop reducing MTPLMs and thus being able to offer upgrades.

However there is a formal process already in place for HGV's. Vehicle manufacturers produce vehicles as large as possible and with as much weight capacity as they can, but the greater the weight limit the more it is taxed. But there are industries where they need a large volume transport, but the density of the goods is low so they don't need the manufactured weight capacity with its high taxation rate.

Such companies can apply to have the "plated load" capacity reduced to reduce the taxation burden. The original manufactures data plate remains permanently attached to the vehicle but , The "Plate" is attached to the vehicle, but it is not permanent. (rather like the NCC sticker) The plate is accepted and used by the authorities


Does the NCC sticker carry the same authority as the HGV plate?

In similar vein some Motorhome owners replate their MH to 3500 kg when they reach age 70 years as they align this with their new licence entitlement rather than the hassle and cost of an annual recertification of fitness to drive a heavier vehicle. A new younger driver with full entitlement can pay to have the MH replated back to its original weight. P
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 days ago #450748

  • camel
  • camel's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 363
  • Thank you received: 63
How is it that the caravan industry seem to just please themselves when it comes to displaying chassis plates, weight plates, manufacturers plates, do they not have to follow DSA guidelines and have the informaton in a place that it can be viewed by the DSA or the Police, I could go to an LGV and find the plates within seconds because they are either positioned for a trailer on the N/S front of chassis or on the cab unit N/S door panel or on the N/S dash.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 590/6

£18,399

Venus 590/6 - The Venus 590/6 has had a revamp inside and out, including improved exterior styling for the 2019 season (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 480 - The sweeping black front panel incorporates flush-fitting tinted windows and complements the black and brown decals (© Practical Caravan)
Buccaneer Aruba 2019 - The Buccaneer Aruba replaces the 6-berth twin-axle Galera, thanks to feedback from NEC showgoers (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Challenger 580 - The Challenger profile has been streamlined for 2019, with a GRP front panel and a new panoramic sunroof in the hail-resistant GRP roof (© Practical Caravan)