Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 weeks ago #450866

• Lutz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
camel wrote:
Lutz, i'm making two points one mot's and the other a clarification of identifiing the gross , tare and payload of a caravan and put in one place on the caravan regardless of make inside a locker so we all know where to look for the information.

But the weight plates are not in the same location on cars, either. Some have the plate on the front upper crossmember, others on the front bulkhead, others again on the B-pillar. There is no requirement to plate the tare or payload. There is little point in plating ex-works tare anyway because more often than not, and especially with caravans, further permanent fittings, such as batteries, motor movers, etc., are added before it is delivered to the customer, so an ex-works figure is not particularly useful. Plating tare would also mean that every caravan would have to be weighed in the factory before the plate can be made.
BMW X4 3.0d
Dethleffs Beduin 545V
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 weeks ago #450867

• Brasso530
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
On the subject of MOT, when a vehicle(or trailer/caravan)is tested its tested as presented and only in the garage space.I say this as an mot on a trailer would be pointless.I'll give you an example.vehicle comes in for test,I fail it for bald tyres and wiper blades non existent,fail and put back outside on yard.customer comers with another vehicle,same,swaps wheels and blades.I drive back into garage,mot pass,drive back outside.Customer then swaps all parts back to original vehicle.
So having a statatury mot would be pointless.
P.s this was on an ice cream van.
2014 Kuga 2ltr tdi,2014 explore 530

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 weeks ago #450868

• Lutz
  • Platinum Boarder
Brasso530 wrote:
On the subject of MOT, when a vehicle(or trailer/caravan)is tested its tested as presented and only in the garage space.I say this as an mot on a trailer would be pointless.I'll give you an example.vehicle comes in for test,I fail it for bald tyres and wiper blades non existent,fail and put back outside on yard.customer comers with another vehicle,same,swaps wheels and blades.I drive back into garage,mot pass,drive back outside.Customer then swaps all parts back to original vehicle.
So having a statatury mot would be pointless.
P.s this was on an ice cream van.

On that basis any MOT on any vehicle is pointless.
However, there are items that are safety related and which are not so easily replaced after the vehicle has been successfully submitted for an MOT. One is structural corrosion and another braking performance. There are undoubtedly a not insignificant number of caravans that have never been serviced since they were delivered to the customer and have spent many years slowly rotting away between infrequent use.
BMW X4 3.0d
Dethleffs Beduin 545V

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 weeks ago #450869

• Brasso530
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
My example was just to highlight that people like you and me,law abiding citizens who take pride in our vehicles and like to put our and others safety at the front of all things would respect the system,others who do not care about you or I will always get around any testing system.
Tyres and brakes are the most important,galvanised chassis will very rarely cause any roadworthy issues.
2014 Kuga 2ltr tdi,2014 explore 530

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 weeks ago #450870

• Lutz
  • Platinum Boarder
Brasso530 wrote:
My example was just to highlight that people like you and me,law abiding citizens who take pride in our vehicles and like to put our and others safety at the front of all things would respect the system,others who do not care about you or I will always get around any testing system.
Tyres and brakes are the most important,galvanised chassis will very rarely cause any roadworthy issues.

Don't you believe it. I have seen even galvanised chassis frames that have rotted right through and the axle to come adrift as a result. I would therefore expect corrosion in general, also of the hitch itself, to be a major factor if caravans were subjected to an MOT.
BMW X4 3.0d
Dethleffs Beduin 545V

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 weeks ago #450871

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 884
The discussion on caravan MoTs is a diversion from the more serious issue of those who drive without licence, insurance, MoT and possibly under the influence of drink and/or drugs. Hit these areas and you really begin to reap a benefit without the negativity of introducing more bureaucracy.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 weeks ago #451112

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 450
So after getting mine back and looking round I've noticed numbers are different compared to outside compared to the gas locker , top is front locker , lower one is beside entrance door .

Craig .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Craigyoung.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brasso530

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 weeks ago #451137

• Lutz
  • Platinum Boarder
Craigyoung wrote:
So after getting mine back and looking round I've noticed numbers are different compared to outside compared to the gas locker , top is front locker , lower one is beside entrance door .

Craig .

That doesn't surprise me but the details shown in the lower picture don't comply with the regulations. The type approval number and the maximum permissible axle loads and noseweight are missing and details that are not legally required (model designation, MIRO, tyre size, tyre pressure, wheel torque) aren't clearly separated from those that are required.
BMW X4 3.0d
Dethleffs Beduin 545V
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Lutz.

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 3 weeks ago #451139

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 884
Lutz wrote:
Craigyoung wrote:

Craig .

That doesn't surprise me but the details shown in the lower picture don't comply with the regulations. The type approval number and the maximum permissible axle loads and noseweight are missing and details that are not legally required (model designation, MIRO, tyre size, tyre pressure, wheel torque) aren't clearly separated from those that are required.

The lower picture information label is pretty standard for UK manufactured caravans. Give its couple of years and Craig's enthusiastic washing and it will be illegible anyway. I note the difference in maximum weight between the door label and the label in the locker. Little wonder that some get confused
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

MTPLM Sticker/chassis plate. 5 months 2 weeks ago #451425

• Mark31415
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
I have a similar but slightly different question. Again an Elddis van. Door sticker says -
MIRO 1132 KG
MTPLM 1310 KG
Tyresize 185 R14 102
Tyre pressure 57 psi

and gas cupboard sticker says -
1310 KG
0- 100 KG
1- 1500 KG
2- N/A KG

Door sticker is almost illegible and likely to fall off next time it's washed so would this suggest that in reality I have a safe MTPLM of 1500 and that 1310 is "just" a marketing number kept low for people who need a low number?
If I could work out how to attach pictures I'd do so if it helped....

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 420 - The exterior of the new Phoenix is smartly finished in white GRP, with understated graphics (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 462 2019 - This season, the Quasar's exterior has a distinctive green stripe on the decals, differentiating it from other caravans at this price point (© Practical Caravan)

Venus 590/6

£18,399

Venus 590/6 - The Venus 590/6 has had a revamp inside and out, including improved exterior styling for the 2019 season (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 480 - The sweeping black front panel incorporates flush-fitting tinted windows and complements the black and brown decals (© Practical Caravan)