Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spare Wheel

Spare Wheel 4 months 2 days ago #453963

• pensioner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Hope I'm in the right section,,
We've just been away for a week and we tend to make early ( 5am ) starts.
A mile into the journey I realised I had a flat tyre,,rear left,,so I fitted the spare, one of those skinny emergency things that limit you to 80kph,,and completed the 240 mile journey.
I'm sure several of you will say I shouldn't have traveled that far on that wheel, but the alternative would have been to sit around untill 8 or 9 for a tyre place to open,,defeating the object of the early start.
My technical question is,,should I have put the spare on the front to ease the stress, as I'm towing a caravan,,but risk compromising the steering,,or put it where I did on the rear left.
I did have visions of being pulled over by traffic police or highways agency,,but it never happened.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Spare Wheel 4 months 2 days ago #453969

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1156
It is reasonable for a car manufacturer to offer a spacesaver wheel and place distance speed limits on how it can be used, but it would be unreasonable (and might be illegal) if the space saver was incapable of carrying the maximum permitted loads of the vehicle including any trailer loads it can legitimately tow.

As for fitting it to any preferred axle, all wheels do important jobs, but in the grand scheme of things I view the front wheels as having the more important role of providing more braking and of course steering, Consequently I would choose to keep the regular tyres on the front, and space saver on the rear.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dustydog, pensioner

Spare Wheel 4 months 2 days ago #453985

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 883
ProfJohnL wrote:
It is reasonable for a car manufacturer to offer a spacesaver wheel and place distance speed limits on how it can be used, but it would be unreasonable (and might be illegal) if the space saver was incapable of carrying the maximum permitted loads of the vehicle including any trailer loads it can legitimately tow.

As for fitting it to any preferred axle, all wheels do important jobs, but in the grand scheme of things I view the front wheels as having the more important role of providing more braking and of course steering, Consequently I would choose to keep the regular tyres on the front, and space saver on the rear.

I’d agree with your thoughts. My 2010 XC 70 had a space saver that was marked 80kph for 50 miles. Very useful in Scotland on a weekend. But it’s outer diameter was 2 inch less than the road wheels so the recommendation was to fit it to the rear. Great when you have a flat front tyre. My Forester I converted the space saver stowage by removing foam undertrays and squeezing a full size alloy spare in. Australian Foresters could only be sold with an OEM fitted full size spare
Thankfully my Skoda Superb has a full size spare but on a smaller OD rim which means it has a greater aspect ratio. So Skoda have marked it 80kmh but no mileage restriction as it’s in all other respects a standard road tyre.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Spare Wheel 4 months 2 days ago #453990

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
We don't actually possess a spare in ours, Volvo XC60 but we have tyre replacement on our breakdown cover, I agree though that can't imagine they can restrict distance, speed isn't too much of a problem anyway as caravan keeps you down to 60 anyway.
I believe that if its not fun don't do it
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan
:)

Spare Wheel 4 months 2 days ago #453992

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
AlexandriaUK wrote:
We don't actually possess a spare in ours, Volvo XC60 but we have tyre replacement on our breakdown cover, I agree though that can't imagine they can restrict distance, speed isn't too much of a problem anyway as caravan keeps you down to 60 anyway.

What does the XC60 give? Runflat, skinny or goo kit?
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Spare Wheel 4 months 2 days ago #453999

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
It supplies you with air compressor so in theory you can get to nearest garage and AA come out but I hate the Idea of blow out as you can't blow that up can you, suppose some cello tape and superglue would help LOL

Just been to check and it has a glug kit LOL knackers tyres though I think
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan
Last Edit: 4 months 2 days ago by AlexandriaUK.

Spare Wheel 4 months 2 days ago #454000

• audiorob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
My Ford handbook expressly forbids using the spare while towing - when my rear n/s got gashed by some road rubbish on a Sunday afternoon - fortunately without the van on the back - I had to delay departure by a day to get the tyre replaced and then tow home. The tyre was only a couple of months old and sourcing one to match the other three without being able to pre-book on the internet was almost silly money!

Spare Wheel 4 months 2 days ago #454001

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
AlexandriaUK wrote:
It supplies you with air compressor so in theory you can get to nearest garage and AA come out but I hate the Idea of blow out as you can't blow that up can you, suppose some cello tape and superglue would help LOL

Just been to check and it has a glug kit LOL knackers tyres though I think

You have a point about the goo kit but in Europe tyre depots will repair a repairable tyre that has had goo inserted. Continental actually publish the correct procedure for tyre depots to use if repairing a tyre with goo in it. I’m dear old UK Health and Safety stops us doing it sir! Either they can’t be bothered or more likely see it as a chance to sell you a brand new tyre at top notch price.

Spare Wheel 4 months 2 days ago #454005

• Gafferbill
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep active be happy and stay safe
  • Thank you received: 427
.......I don't and wouldn't tow without a full size spare available.
In the OP'S case I would have delayed the journey.
(Sir) Baldrick WC......I have a cunning plan!
  GB West Sussex

Spare Wheel 4 months 2 days ago #454007

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
Excuse me sir but what would we do without health and safety

Live LOL I'm always surprised when I see the risks with having babies and we are still allowed to do it
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Lunar Quasar 462 2019 - This season, the Quasar's exterior has a distinctive green stripe on the decals, differentiating it from other caravans at this price point (© Practical Caravan)

Venus 590/6

£18,399

Venus 590/6 - The Venus 590/6 has had a revamp inside and out, including improved exterior styling for the 2019 season (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 480 - The sweeping black front panel incorporates flush-fitting tinted windows and complements the black and brown decals (© Practical Caravan)
Buccaneer Aruba 2019 - The Buccaneer Aruba replaces the 6-berth twin-axle Galera, thanks to feedback from NEC showgoers (© Practical Caravan)