Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Putting USB socket in van

Putting USB socket in van 2 months 1 week ago #453977

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Another question, what a great site, what would we do without it, i would like to add a couple of USB sockets in my van fed directly from my leisure battery, I want to be able to charge my phone and run a fan IF it's stays hot.
What's the best solution for this, have looked at a few but always best to get advice from someone who's done it and not burnt down their van :)
I believe that if its not fun don't do it
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan
:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Putting USB socket in van 2 months 1 week ago #453982

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 922
If your caravan has a built in round 12v socket, rather than making holes in the cabinets or fiddling about with fuses and wiring it might be a better idea to use on of These
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Putting USB socket in van 2 months 1 week ago #453986

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
No sadly it hasn't got one, it has 7 240v plugs but we go wild quite often and I want to be able to charge phone and run fan but was thinking crocodile clips onto battery and run lead in window to save on holes LOL just need something with long enough cable and safe
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by AlexandriaUK.

Putting USB socket in van 2 months 1 week ago #453988

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 785
AlexandriaUK wrote:
No sadly it hasn't got one, it has 7 240v plugs but we go wild quite often and I want to be able to charge phone and run fan but was thinking crocodile clips onto battery and run lead in window to save on holes LOL just need something with long enough cable and safe

Why not use a couple of larger charge through power packs? Although more difficult to use if off grid.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Putting USB socket in van 2 months 1 week ago #453991

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
Sorry to be blonde, but what are these and yes it is specifically for wild camping
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan

Putting USB socket in van 2 months 1 week ago #453994

• audiorob
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 54
Not tried it myself but used '12v USB port' as a search and first up was Amazon who supply the like with 2 x 2.1 sockets - one even has a useful battery voltage display for about £11.00. Connected with two wires +ve and -ve. It's sold for caravans, cars, boats etc. Unless another reader thinks it inadvisable these could be connected piggyback to the battery terminals with an automotive fuse in the +ve line.

You can also replace single mains sockets for socket that has additionally 2 usb sockets -various finishes available from white to satin so the socket and the usbs can be used simultaneously. (about 10.00 to 20.00 depending on how posh you choose.

Putting USB socket in van 2 months 1 week ago #453996

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 785
www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/1405...chargers-you-can-buy

This should give you an idea but there are lots out there. Some do charge from solar cells as my son has one linked into a cell he carries on his rucksack. But thats one I’ve not really examined.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Putting USB socket in van 2 months 1 week ago #453997

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
First one sounds feasible but second one how do you use a mains socket for 12 volt, does that mean I have to disconnect the mainstay on that one and bring lead from battery to behind plug??
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by AlexandriaUK. Reason: Wrote wrong words

Putting USB socket in van 2 months 1 week ago #454018

• audiorob
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 54
Two alternatives - the mains version would clearly only operate when using electric hook-up on site, while the 12v version would work from battery only.

Putting USB socket in van 2 months 1 week ago #454019

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
We are only going to need 12 volt when we are off grid because when we are on EH we have loads of plugs in fact we only use four.
Have ordered a kit of eBay so when it arrives I will let you know how easy it is too fit
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Elddis Avante 586 2019 - As a six-berth single-axle, the Avanté is a sizeable van to manoeuvre, so Al-Ko's ATC and AKS hitch stabiliser are welcome features (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 470 2019 - The revamped layout in the new Pastiche 470 might tempt buyers looking for something a bit different (© Practical Caravan)
ph01 - The Bailey Phoenix 420 has a similar look to its siblings. There’s no front gas locker, and the graphics are quite low-key (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
Bailey Phoenix 640 - The Bailey Phoenix 640 is a great starter van for comfort-seeking couples (© Practical Caravan)