Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Nose Weight - rough check

Nose Weight - rough check 2 months 5 days ago #457841

• Grey13
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
Ok buffs, correct me if you think differently.

The issue of forces is very simple, a force = distance x weight. So in a van, using the axle as a fulcrum and as is the case with my van from axle to hitch is roughly 4 meters and backwards to basin area is 2.4 meters.

Now in order to have roughly 75 Kg force down on hitch to balance that I would need ROUGHLY 125 Kg standing in the bathroom.

So if I stood in the bathroom it would almost balance and if not be very easy for someone to lift the hitch.

Quick easy test.

Reborn caravanner !
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by Grey13.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Nose Weight - rough check 2 months 5 days ago #457844

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 700
So what exactly is your point???
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Nose Weight - rough check 2 months 5 days ago #457845

• audiorob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
Maybe ok for a see-saw but the caravan furnishings and fittings give it a noseweight on manufacture, for example the position of heavy items like fridge and oven. Then add to this the gas that may well be in the front locker that is a variable according to how full the bottle is.....

Nose Weight - rough check 2 months 5 days ago #457846

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 355
But you need around 75kg or more for a safe tow, what you are talking about will cause a zero noseweight wont it? Put your theory to the test, leave the legs up and go stand in the bathroom :cheer:
No prizes for guessing what will happen.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by Thingy.

Nose Weight - rough check 2 months 5 days ago #457847

• Grey13
  • Gold Boarder
Gentlemen, lets just clarify something. Notwithstanding everything in the van, fridges canopy and everything else, all pilled on the "beam" you goal is to have 75 kg roughly pressing down on the hitch. Well for my van that is. So any calcs will assume all that all that is sitting on the chassis. Accepting all that you still want the manufacturers recommended weight on the hitch and as I said in my case 75 kg. so if my chassis fully loaded has 75 kg downward force on the hitch if someone weighing roughly 125 kg stands in the bathroom it should balance. I imagine a large number of people travel with heavily overloaded hitch weights and this is an easy way of at least making sure you are roughly OK.
Reborn caravanner !

Nose Weight - rough check 2 months 5 days ago #457848

• Grey13
  • Gold Boarder
Thingy Quote
But you need around 75kg or more for a safe tow

Yes you do. am not suggesting someone travels in the van standing in the bathroom. Just a simple quick method of ensuring you are not grossly overloading the hitch.

Having it too light and equally having it too heavy affects towing and mechanical stresses.
Reborn caravanner !

Nose Weight - rough check 2 months 5 days ago #457849

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 886
Grey13 wrote:
Ok buffs, correct me if you think differently.

The issue of forces is very simple, a force = distance x weight. So in a van, using the axle as a fulcrum and as is the case with my van from axle to hitch is roughly 4 meters and backwards to basin area is 2.4 meters.

Now in order to have roughly 75 Kg force down on hitch to balance that I would need ROUGHLY 125 Kg standing in the bathroom.

So if I stood in the bathroom it would almost balance and if not be very easy for someone to lift the hitch.

Quick easy test.

It’s not that revolutionary Grey I have used the same approach to off load my jockey wheel when needing to extract the van from a wet/muddy pitch using the mover as the 4wd just span all wheels (Sorento on AT Tyres and XC70 too). My wife nips into the van and carefully moves to the back. Although she’s not 125kg so all the noseweight doesn’t come off but it worked for us.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Nose Weight - rough check 2 months 5 days ago #457850

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 886
Grey13 wrote:
Gentlemen, lets just clarify something. Notwithstanding everything in the van, fridges canopy and everything else, all pilled on the "beam" you goal is to have 75 kg roughly pressing down on the hitch. Well for my van that is. So any calcs will assume all that all that is sitting on the chassis. Accepting all that you still want the manufacturers recommended weight on the hitch and as I said in my case 75 kg. so if my chassis fully loaded has 75 kg downward force on the hitch if someone weighing roughly 125 kg stands in the bathroom it should balance. I imagine a large number of people travel with heavily overloaded hitch weights and this is an easy way of at least making sure you are roughly OK.

125kg is 19+ stone in old money. Your next problem is when that person gets into your car passenger seat the extension mirror will drop and all you will see is ground. :-)
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Nose Weight - rough check 2 months 5 days ago #457851

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 355
I see your point, but if you get it wrong your caravan will be sat on its backside looking for all the world like Thunderbird Three. And he called me a gentleman, I have never done anything gentle in my life. :whistle: Overwhelming force gets the job done. Where is my big 'ammer.

Isnt it far simpler just to stick the noseweight tool under for an equally rough guide?
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by Thingy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grey13

Nose Weight - rough check 2 months 5 days ago #457853

• Woodentop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 138
That is exactly the formula that I used calculating how to get pretty well any noseweight on my Unicorn S4 Seville. It comes of the heading of couples and moments - or as my old Applied Maths master use to say
"Every couple has its moments!"
When we got home with the van from new I weighed the nose - 33Kg. We loaded the van and had 20Kg on the nose. Why? Because the cooker, gas bottle cabinet and all food/crocks storage is at the back - not near the back but at the back!
After much pushing and shoving things around - not least descending to using a 3.9Kg Propane - the absolute maximum we have ever managed to achieve on the nose is 53Kg. I even got my son who weighs 76Kg to stand inside the van as far forward as possible and we still only got 71Kg but with his weight would have been well over (uprated) MPTLM of 1450Kg.
Hence we are stuck with what we can manage to dream up and weighing the nose every time we set off.
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by Woodentop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grey13

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 420 - The exterior of the new Phoenix is smartly finished in white GRP, with understated graphics (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 462 2019 - This season, the Quasar's exterior has a distinctive green stripe on the decals, differentiating it from other caravans at this price point (© Practical Caravan)

Venus 590/6

£18,399

Venus 590/6 - The Venus 590/6 has had a revamp inside and out, including improved exterior styling for the 2019 season (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 480 - The sweeping black front panel incorporates flush-fitting tinted windows and complements the black and brown decals (© Practical Caravan)