Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Insulation & Keeping Warm

Insulation & Keeping Warm 1 week 3 days ago #463607

• alphapets
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi All,

We have decide to site our Bailey Barcelona Caravan this season. 1st March - 30th November. I was wandering what is the best way to try and insulate during the colder periods. Is their a recommended reflective flooring insulation you can use? Is it worth lagging the pipes etc?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Insulation & Keeping Warm 1 week 3 days ago #463612

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1016
With its existing insulation plus heating system it should be able to attain a comfortable heat especially since it’s not deep winter. I’ve never had a more modern caravan where I felt the need for additional insulation.
Are you living off grid without 240 v electrics for heating? In which case insulation would reduce your heating costs for gas.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alphapets

Insulation & Keeping Warm 1 week 3 days ago #463613

• alphapets
  • Senior Boarder
We will be hooked up on metered electric. Was just trying to be more green.... :sick:
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive

Insulation & Keeping Warm 1 week 3 days ago #463617

• jamestaylor18
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
We are going seasonal too this year for the same dates, also metered electric. I’ve done winter caravanning for the past two years and found the heating/insulation to be absolutely fine.
Heating wise, we have blown air heating. I leave it on low overnight, and turn it up during the day. Keeps us perfectly warm enough!
I plan to drain down my water system for the earlier part of the season whilst frost is still about, and if we are not going for a week or two.
When I’m not at the caravan, I will disconnect my water supply and store the aquaroll. To be honest, on cooler nights in the summer I find the oven whacks out a fair bit of heat when cooking tea, so don’t think I’ll be using the heating that much after April/May time.
James
Kia Ceed SW auto towing Sprite Alpine (2012)

Insulation & Keeping Warm 1 week 3 days ago #463621

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1261
Any additional insulation will help reduce heat loss but it wont stop it completely, and whilst the standard insulation will allow the caravans heating system to cope with most of what the UK's spring summer and Autumn will throw at it when your there, whilst its unoccupied and unheated between holidays, it will not be protected from frost.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Insulation & Keeping Warm 1 week 2 days ago #463627

• Mandarin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
When we had a static I glued 25mm fire retardant polystyrene sheet under the floor which transformed the van in cooler weather. Modern tourers have far better insulation, but probably not on the floor so you might find that useful.

However I have no idea if my method would be ok for a tourer on the move, you might end up shedding environmentaly unfriendly foam along the road, but there are probably alternative materials. Incidentally it was a horrible job to do.
Bailey Unicorn Valencia, pulled by Mitsubishi Outlander 2.2 DI-D auto
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH, alphapets

Insulation & Keeping Warm 1 week 2 days ago #463629

• alphapets
  • Senior Boarder
I appreciate I can turn up the heating, but on extra layers of clothing. I was simply asking for alternatives in keeping the van insulated, by being greener, with some form of insulated reflective carpet/underlay....

Insulation & Keeping Warm 1 week 2 days ago #463631

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
Mandarin wrote:
When we had a static I glued 25mm fire retardant polystyrene sheet under the floor which transformed the van in cooler weather. Modern tourers have far better insulation, but probably not on the floor so you might find that useful.

Hello Mandarin,

Since then 1970's most if not all touring caravan floors have been constructed using a double wall fitted with a foam, and typically have been about 35mm or thicker.

More recently floors have used bonded construction which will have further improved the insulative effect of the foam. And whilst there will always some heat loss through the floor construction, it's probably not worth adding more insulation, as most losses will be through the required ventilation, and the walls roof and windows.

Unfortunately this form of floor construction can start to delaminate usually in high use areas or where there has been a water ingress problem.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Insulation & Keeping Warm 1 week 2 days ago #463634

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
alphapets wrote:
I appreciate I can turn up the heating, but on extra layers of clothing. I was simply asking for alternatives in keeping the van insulated, by being greener, with some form of insulated reflective carpet/underlay....

Hi your post came whilst I was answering Mandarin's point.

I imagine your hoping your caravan would be as thermally comfortable as your living room at home. If so then I'm sorry but it's not going to happen, because of a number of factors. But the two main reasons are the lack of thermal mass of a caravan, and the amount of legally required ventilation.

Most of our homes are built of bricks and concrete. Whilst both of these materials sent the best insulators, they generally have enough thickness to provide a decent temperature barrier. It's far from perfect which is one reason why cavity walls and later additional insulation became mandatory. But it's a characteristic of the materials to accumulate heat, and will pay some of it back if the room looses it's primary heat source.

The wooden surfaces in caravans have by comparison very little capability to accumulate heat, so whilst they are insulative, they don't pay back any where as much heat either.

The other game changer is the amount of ventilation which is large compared to room in a modern home, which means the caravan will still seem to go from warm to cool and vice versa comparatively quickly.

Because of the low thermal mass of caravans you receive most heat through the temperature of the air, where as in houses a lot more radiated heat from both the radiators but also low level radiation From walls, floors and ceilings. This keeps a more even "feel" to the comfort, at home, but in the caravan the warmed air has a greater tendency to collect at the ceiling level, leaving it much cooler at floor level, unless you have something to stir it up, such as a blown hot air system.

For comfort you might consider some form of under floor heating. This would remove the cold to touch sensation, and it can provide a useful background heat. A quick Google for heated floor mats reveals there are some available, and might be good in a caravan.

Insulation & Keeping Warm 1 week 2 days ago #463636

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1016
I think your suggestion re a carpet underlay could be a simple approach. If your van has sectional removable carpets it would be quite simple to cut out some foam underlay to match the shapes.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Alaria TS

£33,799

Lunar Alaria TS - The smart Alaria has subtle updates for 2019, including new graphics and front locker; self-levelling corner steadies are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)

Venus 550/4

£17,899

Venus 550/4 - The single gas bottle locker is clearly defined in graphite and the lid raises on struts (© Practical Caravan)
Compass Casita 586 - The Casita is Compass' entry-level range, accommodating a family of six in a standard width van (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Fairway Platinum 635 - The smart twin-axle has triple front windows and chrome grab handles, as well as a handle on the A-frame that makes it easier to manoeuvre (© Practical Caravan)