Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spare wheel woes

Spare wheel woes 1 week 1 day ago #463707

• JayTea
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I need to buy a spare wheel for the Hobby caravan and as sods law determines if I don't have one I will have a puncture either on the motorway or some remote place miles from nowhere. The wheel size is nothing out of the ordinary at 5/112 ET30 / 5½Jx14

The problem I have is I've been told that if I put a steel wheel on I will need to use shorter wheel bolts therefore would like to ask other owners if they have had a similar dilemma
Hobby 575 VIP & XC90
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Spare wheel woes 1 week 17 hours ago #463718

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 648
Our Lunar also needs different nuts for the steel spare, so I would think they are a standard item and should be available from the supplier who sells the wheel. If not any caravan dealer should have them.
Ray
The following user(s) said Thank You: JayTea

Spare wheel woes 1 week 16 hours ago #463722

• JayTea
  • Senior Boarder
I've managed to solve this by ordering the correct load rated wheel & tyre from Germany along with the correct bolts for £98.75 compared to the £155 I was quoted in the UK
Hobby 575 VIP & XC90
Last Edit: 1 week 15 hours ago by JayTea. Reason: typo

Spare wheel woes 1 week 5 hours ago #463740

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 837
JT, glad you got it sorted, on our Coachman the spare is a steel, normal is Alloy. Coachman state we can use the same wheel bolts, even though, they will go deeper into the hub. :dry: must try it.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
The following user(s) said Thank You: JayTea

Spare wheel woes 1 week 3 hours ago #463743

• JayTea
  • Senior Boarder
I chose the wheel from Germany for several reasons, the main one being the rim is load rated to 900kg, other wheels I've enquired about were only 680kg and as my MTPLM is 1600kg this meant 680kg was unsuitable, the tyre is 104/102n whereas tyres on the UK ones I enquired about were 102/100n, price was very much a no brainer and when I enquired with the vendor about the bolts they said they had the correct bolts for the wheels at an extra €12.50 for all five and no extra postage
Hobby 575 VIP & XC90

Spare wheel woes 6 days 19 hours ago #463746

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1016
EH52ARH wrote:
JT, glad you got it sorted, on our Coachman the spare is a steel, normal is Alloy. Coachman state we can use the same wheel bolts, even though, they will go deeper into the hub. :dry: must try it.

Do your bolts have a different torque when used on the steel spare wheel?
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Spare wheel woes 6 days 18 hours ago #463750

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 837
otherclive wrote:
EH52ARH wrote:

Yes there is a difference, 65 ft lbs for steel and 96 ft lbs for alloy wheels. The bolts must be marked 10.9 for alloy wheels but can be used for steel wheels.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive

Spare wheel woes 6 days 18 hours ago #463751

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1016
EH52ARH wrote:
otherclive wrote:
EH52ARH wrote:

Yes there is a difference, 65 ft lbs for steel and 96 ft lbs for alloy wheels. The bolts must be marked 10.9 for alloy wheels but can be used for steel wheels.

Same as mine.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Spare wheel woes 6 days 17 hours ago #463755

• DaveA1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 74
otherclive wrote:
EH52ARH wrote:
otherclive wrote:
EH52ARH wrote:

Same as mine.

Same here. Same as my motor, which has a steel spare,
Regards Dave A

Vauxhall Insignia Eilite 163 Sport Tourer CDTI Auto
Swift Challenger Sport 442 2012
Last Edit: 6 days 17 hours ago by DaveA1.

Spare wheel woes 6 days 16 hours ago #463757

• JayTea
  • Senior Boarder
110Nm for steel and 120Nm for alloy which equates in old money to 81 ft-lb for steel and 88.5 ft-lb for alloy
Hobby 575 VIP & XC90
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Alaria TS

£33,799

Lunar Alaria TS - The smart Alaria has subtle updates for 2019, including new graphics and front locker; self-levelling corner steadies are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)

Venus 550/4

£17,899

Venus 550/4 - The single gas bottle locker is clearly defined in graphite and the lid raises on struts (© Practical Caravan)
Compass Casita 586 - The Casita is Compass' entry-level range, accommodating a family of six in a standard width van (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Fairway Platinum 635 - The smart twin-axle has triple front windows and chrome grab handles, as well as a handle on the A-frame that makes it easier to manoeuvre (© Practical Caravan)