Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: More poor design.

More poor design. 1 week 3 days ago #465258

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1001
The bathroom sky light uses those spring loaded handles for opening and closing.
The tiny securing screws go into very small lugs moulded into the main frame. One broke off, barely 6mm in diameter. Result a whole new frame is needed requiring total removal from the roof, replacing and resealing. Parts alone from Bailey are £179.00 :woohoo:
I managed to drill through the frame with a 2mm drill in the dremel , glue the lug back into place and using a longer screw all is well. If that breaks I may get away with a small nut and bolt.
These lugs are tiny and take the full spring pressure of opening and closing the sky light, plus the force of high winds in bad weather.
A pretty poor design imo :(
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

More poor design. 1 week 3 days ago #465262

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 754
You are absolutely right, bad design, cheap product to make but expensive to replace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

More poor design. 1 week 3 days ago #465265

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1098
Dustydog wrote:
The bathroom sky light uses those spring loaded handles for opening and closing.
The tiny securing screws go into very small lugs moulded into the main frame. One broke off, barely 6mm in diameter. Result a whole new frame is needed requiring total removal from the roof, replacing and resealing. Parts alone from Bailey are £179.00 :woohoo:
I managed to drill through the frame with a 2mm drill in the dremel , glue the lug back into place and using a longer screw all is well. If that breaks I may get away with a small nut and bolt.
These lugs are tiny and take the full spring pressure of opening and closing the sky light, plus the force of high winds in bad weather.
A pretty poor design imo :(

Agreed they are poor design. My rooflight over the rear dinette was double glazed but with open sides to the top and bottom layers. It let in dirt which required access from the roof to dismantle it for cleaning. It was quite fragile too. “Was” being the operative word. It’s now been replaced with a midi Heki roiflight. A much superior piece of kit and not much more expensive than your Bailey priced replacement.

If we keep the caravan then the toilet rooflight like yours will be changed fir a Heki. Looks so much better when I view the caravan roof from the bedroom. Three colour matched and similar shaped Hekis. Cool. :-)
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 1 week 3 days ago by otherclive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dustydog, Dodger524

More poor design. 1 week 3 days ago #465271

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 422
We have the mini Heki in the bathroom, and you guys are quite right, they are a vast improvement. The only advantage with the sprung one was that it was directional in bad weather.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive, Dustydog, Craigyoung, Dodger524

More poor design. 1 week 2 days ago #465285

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
On the subject of poor design and lack of thought, I have just had a new AGM battery delivered and I am about to shorten the cables and change the terminals to bolt through rings. The battery is very snug in the box and the stiff 12v battery cables are overly long, enough for the battery to reach the floor whilst connected. However, when trying to refit the battery to the box, its extremely difficult to get the cables back in and close the door without undue pressure on the door.
I understand sort of why the cables are so long, but surely sense would see you lifting the battery out to the caravan step, and therefore negating the need for such excess cable.

More poor design. 1 week 2 days ago #465287

• Dodger524
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122
Thingy wrote:
On the subject of poor design and lack of thought, I have just had a new AGM battery delivered and I am about to shorten the cables and change the terminals to bolt through rings. The battery is very snug in the box and the stiff 12v battery cables are overly long, enough for the battery to reach the floor whilst connected. However, when trying to refit the battery to the box, its extremely difficult to get the cables back in and close the door without undue pressure on the door.
I understand sort of why the cables are so long, but surely sense would see you lifting the battery out to the caravan step, and therefore negating the need for such excess cable.

I agree, but nothing stops you shortening the cables. ;)
Regards Dave
Volvo XC70 D5 auto towing a 2012 Lunar Clubman SB wandering.me.uk/

More poor design. 1 week 2 days ago #465289

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
Exactly what I am going to do. Just praying I can find my crimping tool.
On the subject of poor design and lack of thought, I have just had a new AGM battery delivered and I am about to shorten the cables
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Thingy.

More poor design. 1 week 2 days ago #465291

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1001
The Hartal door bin is another example. My flimsy securing ring broke years ago. To get a new one I have to buy the entire bin assembly. Yet the strong hinges are available . Weird :woohoo:
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

More poor design. 1 week 1 day ago #465355

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 669
Basically everything on the caravan is made down to as low a cost as possible and with as little weight as they can get away with. This encourages both poor quality and design, but that is true of lots of things these days.
Ray

More poor design. 1 week 1 day ago #465359

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
I still dont know to this day why there isnt an autofill on the flush tank. I get so fed up of standing out there filling the wretched thing by hand. Barrel to jug, jug to tank, back to barrel and on and on.

Most recent caravan reviews

Coachman Pastiche 520 - Clean lines and understated decals give the Pastiche 520 an elegant exterior, and Al-Ko ATC and stabiliser mean it should be an easy tow (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Altea 472 DS Eden - Maximising the window area has helped Adria create a roomy feel, and the whole interior exudes a sleek, modern look that's unusual at this price (© Practical Caravan)
Moto-trek Trek-Away - The Moto-trek Trek-Away standard exterior is off-white; our test model was a very smart silver, one of a choice of colours that's available as a £1620 cost option (© Practical Caravan)

Alaria TS

£33,799

Lunar Alaria TS - The smart Alaria has subtle updates for 2019, including new graphics and front locker; self-levelling corner steadies are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)