Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Levelling ramps

Levelling ramps 1 week 12 hours ago #465439

• Madtaffy
  • Fresh Boarder
First time I’ve used a levelling ramp with a caravan tonight, we couldn’t release from the tow hitch, do you have to use the motor mover .
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Levelling ramps 1 week 12 hours ago #465440

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1098
Yes it can happen at times. Have you made sure the car is relaxed away from the hitch. The bellows should be extended but not so far that it is “pulling” the van. If not just move the car forward a smidgeon. Also when trying to free the hitch even with the bellows extended release car handbrake when trying to unhitch. But do have someone in the car if there is a risk that it could roll away.

Another approach is car and van handbrakes on full. Lift tow hitch handle, lower nose wheel to ground open rear hatch or boot and sit on it. Then bounce hard trying hard not to damage car. Tow ball should free.

Stabiliser arm must be fully retracted off of the ball. Failing that try readjusting on the ramp back and forth with mover.

It’s a good idea before you hitch up to ensure the stabiliser pads and ball are clean.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 1 week 12 hours ago by otherclive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Madtaffy

Levelling ramps 1 week 12 hours ago #465444

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1325
Its a sensible idea to have some chocks to help keep the caravan wheel from trying to roll down the ramp. This can also allow the hitch to relax before releasing
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Levelling ramps 1 week 11 hours ago #465446

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 422
I have stopped carrying a ramp. I find that a couple of boards is usually enough.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)

Levelling ramps 1 week 11 hours ago #465448

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 548
Thingy wrote:
I have stopped carrying a ramp. I find that a couple of boards is usually enough.

Precisely Thingy , we have never used a leveling ramp in 5 years , like you I have a few bits of chocks in my front locker which I use one each for the steadies and a 2 foot long bit for the wheel just to give it a bit elevation if needed .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thingy, Madtaffy

Levelling ramps 1 week 10 hours ago #465450

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 871
As OCsays, , reverse the van up the ramp until the other half say its just too much, then put a chock in front of the ramp wheel, caravan brake on and just ease forward until the hitch bellow relax, then wind the jockey wheel down until released from the car. Unhook the brake cable and relax a bit. Level the caravan front and back, hook up the electrics, stabilizers down, make a cup of tea or in my case have a beer. Then do the rest.
Another learning curve.
:P
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive, DaveA1, Dodger524, Madtaffy

Levelling ramps 6 days 13 hours ago #465485

• bertieboy1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
Never used levelling ramps,I use flat pieces of wood,you can make them yourself very cheaply also they are much less difficult to use than ramps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung, Madtaffy

Levelling ramps 6 days 11 hours ago #465497

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
bertieboy1 wrote:
Never used levelling ramps,I use flat pieces of wood,you can make them yourself very cheaply also they are much less difficult to use than ramps.

I don't agree, one piece of wood , not high enough,, drive offf reverse back on , still not high enough, off , on too much faffing around. . . Reverse onto a ramp until the Boss says its correct. Jobs done.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Rural Milton Keynes
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive

Levelling ramps 6 days 11 hours ago #465499

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 422
With a spirit level you can make a guesstmate, one board, two or three. No shunting. If the pitch is that cockeyed that you need more, pick another pitch.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
Last Edit: 5 days 22 hours ago by Thingy.

Levelling ramps 6 days 10 hours ago #465503

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
We are on dry land, You have an inherent Spirit level. :P
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Rural Milton Keynes

Most recent caravan reviews

Coachman Pastiche 520 - Clean lines and understated decals give the Pastiche 520 an elegant exterior, and Al-Ko ATC and stabiliser mean it should be an easy tow (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Altea 472 DS Eden - Maximising the window area has helped Adria create a roomy feel, and the whole interior exudes a sleek, modern look that's unusual at this price (© Practical Caravan)
Moto-trek Trek-Away - The Moto-trek Trek-Away standard exterior is off-white; our test model was a very smart silver, one of a choice of colours that's available as a £1620 cost option (© Practical Caravan)

Alaria TS

£33,799

Lunar Alaria TS - The smart Alaria has subtle updates for 2019, including new graphics and front locker; self-levelling corner steadies are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)