Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Watts v amps?

Watts v amps? 2 months 5 days ago #466803

• WinnieSophie
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Evening all.
Am I right in thinking that (with trauma ultraheat), if a campsite electrical connection is at least 10 amp then I can safely have the thermostat at 2000w? What about 6amp,can I only have it at 500w?
Bit confused.
I gather at UK sites it will be 2000w anyway??
Going on a short trial run to Suffolk on Monday, before crossing the Channel mid May, so need to know in case I trip all the fuses!!
Thanks.
Cath
Mean truma, I've got the trauma :blink:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Watts v amps? 2 months 5 days ago #466805

• bertieboy1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
Dear Trauma,here's the truma,
Site don't rate their electrical supplies in Watts,they are rated in amps.
For ac electrical heating you can easily find out what the current will be by dividing the Watts by the voltage.
eg, for 2000W divide Watts by voltage - 2000/230 = 8.695 amps..As long as your load (in amps)is less than the rated supply you will be OK.

Watts v amps? 2 months 5 days ago #466806

• WinnieSophie
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks, think I've got it.

Watts v amps? 2 months 5 days ago #466812

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 975
Cath, it's very easy to overload the caravan power supply, eg, you have the heater on in the morning, because its nippy outside, maybe you have used the hot water in the caravan and that's reheating, the tV on to see the news and your using an electric kettle, click it all goes off, as you have suddenly drawn to many amps for the, say 10 amp power from the campsite power.
In France it is common on some sites to only have 6 amp power. You just have to be carefull.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Watts v amps? 2 months 4 days ago #466819

• WinnieSophie
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks hutch, think I was over complicating maybe. Will just be careful then how much I'm using at any one time.
Cath

Watts v amps? 2 months 4 days ago #466821

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1074
Cath
The attached from The Caravan Club will you appreciate how may amps each item uses.

www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1026258/hookinguptothemains.pdf
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Watts v amps? 2 months 4 days ago #466822

• WinnieSophie
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you, that's very useful. :)

Watts v amps? 1 month 4 weeks ago #467133

• RayS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 222
Some microwave ovens take more current owhen switching on than they do when running and you may cause a trip by using the microwave when you have heating etc switched on as well.

Suggest you make a card showing the amps taken by each appliance or device by dividing the watts shown for each device ( found on the duty plate or from the instruction book) by 230 volts ( ( in UK) and then , given the amps available at each site, you can work out what combinations are within this figure. Don’r Forget to allow for the fridge and the battery charger which is built in to the caravan electrical system.
If you take the caravan to Europe be aware that many sites offer only 6 amps and often at lower than UK voltage typically down to 210 or less in Spain. This increases the amps taken slightly but, for example you can only use the Truma Combi 6 system on the Electric 1 setting.
Also check whether the site supply breaker can be reset by you or whether it has to be done by the warden. If by you, switch off heating oven etc before attempting to reset.
If in doubt ask another camper, we’re a pretty friendly lot and happy to share such information

Ray S . 
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH, WinnieSophie

Watts v amps? 1 month 4 weeks ago #467162

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1460
RayS wrote:
Some microwave ovens take more current owhen switching on than they do when running and you may cause a trip by using the microwave when you have heating etc switched on as well.

Suggest you make a card showing the amps taken by each appliance or device by dividing the watts shown for each device ( found on the duty plate or from the instruction book) by 230 volts ( ( in UK) and then , given the amps available at each site, you can work out what combinations are within this figure. Don’r Forget to allow for the fridge and the battery charger which is built in to the caravan electrical system.
If you take the caravan to Europe be aware that many sites offer only 6 amps and often at lower than UK voltage typically down to 210 or less in Spain. This increases the amps taken slightly but, for example you can only use the Truma Combi 6 system on the Electric 1 setting.
Also check whether the site supply breaker can be reset by you or whether it has to be done by the warden. If by you, switch off heating oven etc before attempting to reset.
If in doubt ask another camper, we’re a pretty friendly lot and happy to share such information
Sorry Ray,

The vast majority of the electric power in caravans goes into resistive heating elements, and motors, a reduction in Voltage has a corresponding reduction in the current or motor speed.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
Last Edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by ProfJohnL. Reason: To complete comment

Watts v amps? 1 month 4 weeks ago #467166

• Grey13
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 150
Get someone to fit an amp meter in your van. Very simple and no power wiring interruption. Something like this sending the signal to a small panel mount current indicator. uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/current-transducers/0198835/
Reborn caravanner !
Last Edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by Grey13.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WinnieSophie

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Unicorn Merida - The Unicorn range has expanded with the reintroduced rear-washroom floorplan of the Merida (© Practical Caravan)
Caravelair Antarès 406 - The Caravelair Antarés 406 has a revamped exterior with bolder graphics; it looks smart. Plus, there's an exterior mains socket and barbecue and shower points are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)
Explore 304SE - Comfortable L-shaped lounge benefits from elegant colour scheme and high-quality finish (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 580 - Apart from the neat silver roundel placed on the front nearside corner to mark 100 years of Eccles caravans, this exterior looks much like any other Swift model, with a black front panel and understated decals (© Practical Caravan)