Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Caravan Electrics - Fridge

Caravan Electrics - Fridge 4 months 2 days ago #471129

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 686
That's what I used for my car to my trailer , an adaptor as my trailer used to have a seven-pin old plug but now have upgraded light board to LEDs so now 13 pin
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Caravan Electrics - Fridge 4 months 2 days ago #471132

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1457
I converted my 2005 Bailey two connector arrangement to 13 pin DIN and the 2004 car also. No more bad connections, burnt pins etcand a far better technical solution. Plenty of videos on YouTube or web sites on how to do it. If your not confident it wouldn’t cost that much to have it done for you. The parts are cheap so it’s basically labour.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Caravan Electrics - Fridge 4 months 2 days ago #471135

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 501
jayw wrote:
Thanks for all that, I've just found out from the tow bar fitter that if you have a 13pin (modern) on the car then you can get a 13-to-7 pin adapter for ordinary trailer work or a splitter (13-to2x7 pin for older caravans), both for about £10 each....

Or for £3.00 delivered if you shop around ;)

e.g. www.ebay.co.uk/p/13-Pin-To7-Pin-Plug-Ada...oEAkYASABEgJRmfD_BwE
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)
Last Edit: 4 months 1 day ago by Anseo.

Caravan Electrics - Fridge 4 months 1 day ago #471140

• RayS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 246
If you are happy about wiring converting a caravan with two leads to suit a car with only one 13 pins scocket is not all that difficult.
You make up a lead with a 13 pin plug on one end and then split the cables at the other end between a 12N and a 12s socket.
Then you connect this to the caravan back under the A frame faring , make sure all the connections are good and tested , then wrap up the 12n and 12s connections and secure inside the chassis members of the A frame using big cable ties. Ideally shrink wrap or otherwise protect the 12 s and 12nconnction beforesecuring in the A frame.
I've done this on two or three caravans in the past and actually found some plastic tubin that fitted over the 12 series connections, sealed the ends and never had any problem afterwards.
As has been said the quarter turn 13 pin connection is very much better than the 12 series and shoud be fine.
I did, however find that one new British made caravan had used non standard cable colours for their version of the 13 pin connection and had omitted the sealing on the plug - found this out the hard way in rural France when hitching up last day with long drive to ferry. Only Forum rules stop me naming maker but I=ve since changed caravans.

Ray S . 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dustydog

Caravan Electrics - Fridge 4 months 1 day ago #471153

• colinbal4
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
A few people have said that power should only be provided at the socket when the engine is running and the alternator is spinning.

Is it normally that intelligent? I'd have thought it was just an ignition switched relay, i.e. if your ignition key is turned on, then the power is supplied, regardless of whether or not the engine is running and alternator spinning?

It's an important distinction, because a lot of people sit in services or waiting to board ferries, with the ignition key turned so they can listed to the radio. Can they flatten the car battery because they are also running the fridge?

Caravan Electrics - Fridge 4 months 1 day ago #471168

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
colinbal4 wrote:
A few people have said that power should only be provided at the socket when the engine is running and the alternator is spinning.

Is it normally that intelligent? I'd have thought it was just an ignition switched relay, i.e. if your ignition key is turned on, then the power is supplied, regardless of whether or not the engine is running and alternator spinning?

It's an important distinction, because a lot of people sit in services or waiting to board ferries, with the ignition key turned so they can listed to the radio. Can they flatten the car battery because they are also running the fridge?

Wouldn’t they normally be using the ignition switch in its auxiliary or first position hence not activating a relay. Sitting with full ignition on isn’t advised.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anseo

Caravan Electrics - Fridge 4 months 1 day ago #471171

• jayw
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
www.amazon.co.uk/Trailer-Plug-Socket-MAS...&sr=8-22-spons&psc=1

car 13 pin to 2 caravn 7 pin....handy!!!

Caravan Electrics - Fridge 4 months 1 day ago #471173

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 501
jayw wrote:
Yes, very handy for those who need them, nice one, hadn't seen this before, thanks for sharing :)
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)

Caravan Electrics - Fridge 4 months 23 hours ago #471177

• colinbal4
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
otherclive wrote:
colinbal4 wrote:

Wouldn’t they normally be using the ignition switch in its auxiliary or first position hence not activating a relay. Sitting with full ignition on isn’t advised.

Depends what ignition switched feed its wired into, for instance my 12v cigar sockets and stereo work in ignition position 1, but elec windows etc only work in position 2

Caravan Electrics - Fridge 4 months 23 hours ago #471178

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
colinbal4 wrote:
otherclive wrote:
colinbal4 wrote:

Depends what ignition switched feed its wired into, for instance my 12v cigar sockets and stereo work in ignition position 1, but elec windows etc only work in position 2

Thanks same as mine. Years since I had a 12 volt cigar :-)

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Discovery D4-2 - The Discovery is a quirky looking tourer, with an awning that stretches right around to the rear (© Practical Caravan)
Sprite Super Quattro EB - The EB's curvaceous exterior, with three windows, a large sunroof and smart graphics, rather belies its entry-level price band (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Clubman ES - Luxurious seating and large windows help to make the Lunar Clubman ES a bright and comfortable living space (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Adora 613DT Isonzo - The popular Isonzo sees little change for 2020; we love the large sunroof (© Practical Caravan)