Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Charging battery from mains at home!

Charging battery from mains at home! 3 weeks 3 days ago #475630

• GrizzlyBathplug
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
We have wrapped up pur caravan for the winter, with cover & emptied all the water to stop any split pipes hopefully.
I am looking to buy a mains plug adaptor, & extension for keeping the battery topped up, maybe charing for 8 hours a month running straight of the mains via the mains lead.
Do i need to invest in a trickle charger & leave it connected all the time, or is what i have described going to suffice.
Any help & advice would be welcome.
Cheers!
Grizzly
Jeep GC
Coachman VIP 575
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Charging battery from mains at home! 3 weeks 3 days ago #475631

• audiorob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 96
I have a short lead made up with a 3 pin domestic plug and a female blue euro caravan plug, the orange cable about 9" long cut from my mains lead. I guess you can also buy the same ready made. In my property the caravan mains lead runs from the caravan under the garage up-and-over door to the garage socket. If you wished you could set a timer plug in between to limit the hours of charging, (perhaps during the night if you have night unit tariff on your elec meter). I leave mine on permanently and have zero problems after 7 years of usage. For this you just need to check that the caravan charger is intelligent to top up the battery as needed and not to provide continuous charging thus eliminating risk of overcharging.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrizzlyBathplug

Charging battery from mains at home! 3 weeks 3 days ago #475633

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1635
As audiorob has suggested, it does depend on the type of charger that is already fitted to the caravan.

You don't tell us how old your caravan is, so we an only guess at this time as to the type of charger that is fitted.
Pre 1980's chargers were quite poor as they did not regulate their outputs and it far from uncommon to find batteries being damaged by overcharging if left connected in storage.
80's to 90's were a bit better
90's onwards were different as they were classed as power supplies rather than battery chargers. These had fully regulated outputs and did not exceed 13.8V.
Even more recently I'm told some modern units do in fact use multistage techniques,

If in doubt, you could do a lot worse than investing in a modern multistage battery charger There are several makes available typified by Ctek, and both Aldi and Lidl sometimes have quite effective models. These are specifically designed to charge and maintain a battery over long period, and would probably be better at it than many built in charger systems.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive, GrizzlyBathplug

Charging battery from mains at home! 3 weeks 3 days ago #475636

• waffler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
If your Coachman is 2009 or later it should have an intelligent charger. The VIPs come with one as standard which means you can leave it connected safely. Only doubt is if someone has replaced it with a cheaper one. I have had Coachman VIPs since 2009 and have never known a problem with a charger.
Coachman VIP565 and Kia Sorento KX3
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrizzlyBathplug

Charging battery from mains at home! 3 weeks 3 days ago #475646

• GrizzlyBathplug
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Thanks for your replies chaps, it is a 2017 Coachman, i will get leads tomorrow & leave on chrge for the day.
Jeep GC
Coachman VIP 575

Charging battery from mains at home! 3 weeks 2 days ago #475663

• Robert_374373903
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
For many years I have the motorhome/caravan hooked up with no problems. However last week about to gat caravan in position to connect up, the mover failed to work.. I had looked at the charger which said it is full. Looked again at it after the mover not working and this time it was flat. Strange, had it tested and although I had charged it again over night and had a reading of 13.5v the test showed it could not hold it .What a panic that morning of leaving by 11 am. the garage said would deliver the new battery by 8am and did not show up by 9.30am, seems their delivery man had another job so had to go to the garage myself . Anyway got away 11am .

RFC

Charging battery from mains at home! 3 weeks 2 days ago #475667

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1098
waffler wrote:
If your Coachman is 2009 or later it should have an intelligent charger. The VIPs come with one as standard which means you can leave it connected safely. Only doubt is if someone has replaced it with a cheaper one. I have had Coachman VIPs since 2009 and have never known a problem with a charger.

Waffler, My 2013 Coachman 560 Vip, had the main power unit go Unservicable on both the Charger and the 12 volt power sides. T about 2 years old, I replaced it with a new one after, a round trip, of 140 miles, one Saturday morning, I now carry a spare unit in the car/ caravan, on trips. Without the 12 volt system , nothing works, fridge or heating. Not nice.
Hutch,
Woosie King 2019 , Sir Were-Rabbit look at The Woosie Thread.
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by EH52ARH. Reason: Addition

Charging battery from mains at home! 3 weeks 1 day ago #475673

• Gafferbill
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep active be happy and stay safe
  • Thank you received: 547
GrizzlyBathplug wrote:
I am looking to buy a mains plug adaptor, & extension for keeping the battery topped up, maybe charging for 8 hours a month running straight of the mains via the mains lead.

......I store my caravan at home and have done what you propose for many years.
I don't leave the charger on permanently as I think it is safer not to have a live cable where it could be tampered with.
However being stored at home the caravan is checked daily and this involves checking the state of the battery.
For this I have a digital battery voltage monitor fitted........I charge when the battery needs it.

Here is a very cheap useful one that fits any 12 volt cigarette type socket.......and is portable.
(Sir) Baldrick WC......I have a cunning plan!
  GB West Sussex

Charging battery from mains at home! 3 weeks 1 day ago #475677

• Gabsgrandad
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 'Gerrinowd'
  • Thank you received: 454
Our first 2 vans didn't have mains chargers, however our first one with mains was bought new 1992, since then we have had 6 more (all new - 7 in total). all those vans have had the electrics left on permanently, stored at home. We have had no problems electrically/battery (apart from changing battery at 'life end') on any of them. I understood that keeping a battery 'up' is better than cycling up and down, even so called 'deep cycling' ones (con?) never had a problem with battery life, and certainly during the 90's most of our vanning was done off grid, but even in those days 5/6 years was the minimum battery life, obtained.
Sir Gab (WC)
2014 Swift Ace Statesman +
2011 Freelander SD4 GS
Broughton,
N. Lincs

Charging battery from mains at home! 3 weeks 1 day ago #475701

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1098
Gabsgrandad wrote:
Our first 2 vans didn't have mains chargers, however our first one with mains was bought new 1992, since then we have had 6 more (all new - 7 in total). all those vans have had the electrics left on permanently, stored at home. We have had no problems electrically/battery (apart from changing battery at 'life end') on any of them. I understood that keeping a battery 'up' is better than cycling up and down, even so called 'deep cycling' ones (con?) never had a problem with battery life, and certainly during the 90's most of our vanning was done off grid, but even in those days 5/6 years was the minimum battery life, obtained.

And probably in those days of old, you had Cocoa, not Hot Chocolate.
Anyway, the other thing to think about is, if the battery is a gel battery or a wet cell one, I stupidly thought mine was a gell and it was a wet cell and needed Topping up I had not checked it for three years. , it failed just after getting home at 3 AM after a trip back from France and needed the motor mover. Re hook the car and a few noisey manouvers . Thankfully the neighbours are hard of hearing, and I didn't wake them.
Hutch,
Woosie King 2019 , Sir Were-Rabbit look at The Woosie Thread.
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Elddis Avante 454 - Avanté looks good with quality moulded front and rear panels (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Discovery D4-2 - The Discovery is a quirky looking tourer, with an awning that stretches right around to the rear (© Practical Caravan)
Sprite Super Quattro EB - The EB's curvaceous exterior, with three windows, a large sunroof and smart graphics, rather belies its entry-level price band (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Clubman ES - Luxurious seating and large windows help to make the Lunar Clubman ES a bright and comfortable living space (© Practical Caravan)