Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol)

Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol) 1 week 5 days ago #440423

• philip_stevens
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
WoodlandsCamper wrote:
From the figures you give MTPLM/Kerb weight is 1194/1270 i.e. 94%, not 80% quoted by towcar.info. :(

I wonder where Towcar got the figure of 1495kg from. Most confusing and misleading.

Further down the page on towcar.info, it shows Kerbweight 1295 kg user payload 200 kg for the car, and
MIRO 994 kg Payload 200kg, MTPLM 1208kg for the 460/4. Confusing.

Although within the 100%, 91% is a bit high for a novice like me.

Looks like I will have to look at the 460/2 - without the fixed bed.
MIRO 941 kg Payload 200kg,MTPLM k1131g for the 460/2.

See, this is the reason I posted here. Superior knowledge.

As they say, "back to the drawing board!"
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by philip_stevens.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Parksy

Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol) 1 week 4 days ago #440427

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 100
Hi
Is changing your car not an option as it will open up your variety off caravans , weights etc , we had a Toyota 2.2 turbo yet that was limited even more by Toyota but since changing our car we've been able to move to better things and are much happier now I am not right on my limits for the car towing

Craig
Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone)!?
The following user(s) said Thank You: philip_stevens

Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol) 1 week 4 days ago #440429

• philip_stevens
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Craig. Yes, we did consider changing the car, but we cannot get the model we want with a petrol engine. I do not want to go to diesel, even with better torque. We have had Mazda's for the best part of 20 years, and wanted a CX5, but for some reason, we cannot get a petrol auto CX5 in this country. They are made, and available all over the right-hand driving world - Aussie, Kiwi, Singapore, South Africa, etc., - but not the UK. Why, when Honda are going petrol only?? Anyway, that is a question for a motoring magazine to answer, not a caravan magazine.

Turbo. Mazda have gone for a bigger petrol engine against a smaller turbo as with many other makers.

As for the Bailey 460/4, I have worked out the figures in Towcar.info. They have added 200kg to each of the figures for the caravan (941kg) and the car (1295kg). So I believe their workings are correct at 80%. If you look at the bottom of this page, it will show - towcar.info/GB/outfitmatch.php - for Mazda CX3 Auto, and Bailey Ranger 460/2.

We may yet change cars if we can get a petrol auto of the size we want. We have already looked at Kia and Honda (though the Honda is not much heavier than the CX3). We prefer to try to stick to Japanese made vehicles.

We have a while to go before we buy the caravan, as we want to get our next holiday out of the way first. Maybe April or thereabouts. Just seen a nice one on eBay - 263249162007.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by philip_stevens.

Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol) 1 week 4 days ago #440430

• WoodlandsCamper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 491
philip_stevens wrote:

As for the Bailey 460/4, I have worked out the figures in Towcar.info. They have added 200kg to each of the figures for the caravan (941kg) and the car (1295kg). So I believe their workings are correct at 80%. If you look at the bottom of this page, it will show - towcar.info/GB/outfitmatch.php - for Mazda CX3 Auto, and Bailey Ranger 460/2.

It doesn't matter what Towcar.info add or don't add, the absolute figures are what is on your V5C for Mass in Service (nearly equivalent to Kerb weight) and the MTPLM of the van (from its weight plate). ;)
Vauxhall Insignia 2015 2.0 cdti 170PS
Lunar Conquest 462 2012
Sir WC (MNKOR) BAR - member of the Woosie Round Table

Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol) 1 week 4 days ago #440433

• philip_stevens
  • Fresh Boarder
The CX3 manual lists total trailer weight with brake at 1200kg.
CX3 car weight1295kg - plus 200kg to add.
460/4 Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (Kg) - 1208 (inc 200kg)

Still a bit tight.

With the CX3 it looks as though we shall have to go to the 460/2 without buying another car. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH

Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol) 1 week 4 days ago #440435

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 328
Towing with the MTPLM of 2,008kg would not be illegal if you kept the actual weight under 2,000, but the load allowance on caravans is very tight and I would look for something a bit lighter. The towing ratio is also very high and for a beginner I would try to get the MTPLM down a fair bit to say 1,500kg at the most. Towing at over 90% is best left to people experienced at towing.
Ray

Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol) 1 week 4 days ago #440437

• xtrailman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • xtrailman
  • Thank you received: 35
Not with Mazda.
Both the V5 figures for both my cars (cx-5) are way out, showing well under, by a lot.
I trust the Mazda figures, and actually have an email from them confirming the kerbweight of my last cx-5.

As for any comparison sites, forget every one except the caravanning and camping one, its the only site that gets my KW spot on.
WoodlandsCamper wrote:
philip_stevens wrote:

It doesn't matter what Towcar.info add or don't add, the absolute figures are what is on your V5C for Mass in Service (nearly equivalent to Kerb weight) and the MTPLM of the van (from its weight plate). ;)
175ps Mazda CX-5 with AWD & 420NM at 2K revs.
Towing a 2017 Swift conqueror 570.
Last of the HT smart Conquerors and 570 models.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by xtrailman.

Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol) 1 week 4 days ago #440438

• xtrailman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • xtrailman
  • Thank you received: 35
you could import a lhd 2.5 auto from Europe but probably only in a cx-5.

Mazda do a cx-7 or is it a cx-9, available with a stonking 2.5L turbo petrol, available in the US.
Mazda UK as importers decide which trim and engines we get, and it varies a lot from the other countries.

Petrol engines simply did not sell in the heavier cars, more suitable for towing with more power, so sometimes only a diesel is available.

Tiguan does a 180ps turbo petrol, but its not Japanese.

Irronically on the US forums they are really looking forward to them getting the 2.2 175ps diesel.philip_stevens wrote:
Hi Craig. Yes, we did consider changing the car, but we cannot get the model we want with a petrol engine. I do not want to go to diesel, even with better torque. We have had Mazda's for the best part of 20 years, and wanted a CX5, but for some reason, we cannot get a petrol auto CX5 in this country. They are made, and available all over the right-hand driving world - Aussie, Kiwi, Singapore, South Africa, etc., - but not the UK. Why, when Honda are going petrol only?? Anyway, that is a question for a motoring magazine to answer, not a caravan magazine.

Turbo. Mazda have gone for a bigger petrol engine against a smaller turbo as with many other makers.

We may yet change cars if we can get a petrol auto of the size we want. We have already looked at Kia and Honda (though the Honda is not much heavier than the CX3). We prefer to try to stick to Japanese made vehicles.

We have a while to go before we buy the caravan, as we want to get our next holiday out of the way first. Maybe April or thereabouts. Just seen a nice one on eBay - 263249162007.
175ps Mazda CX-5 with AWD & 420NM at 2K revs.
Towing a 2017 Swift conqueror 570.
Last of the HT smart Conquerors and 570 models.

Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol) 1 week 4 days ago #440442

• philip_stevens
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for all the helpful replies so far.

Viewing the weight of the smaller Bailey 460/2, at MTPLM 1141kg, it is still a bit high.

Yes, it looks as though we will have to go for a diesel CX5 - but will await to hear what the Chancellor may do against diesel vehicles.

Mazda CX3 Auto (petrol) 1 week 4 days ago #440447

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160
Well I have used Towcar.org for my last three outfits and I found the results quite accurate. But you do need to check what exactly the cars= weighs as kerb weight and what its gross weight is. I like the ability to vary car and caravan payload as well as noseweight too. Unlike the C&CC matching service you can adjust the car's kerb weight to align with your particular model, and increase the caravans MTPLM in case you have had payload increase. You can tune Towcar.org to your prosper outfit. My last outfit was a Subaru 2014 Forester 2.0 petrol towing a 1300kg MTPLM Sprite and Towcar.org was accurate regarding its performance particularly on hills. Although the outfit was very well matched for weight, stability etc and when being towed it gave no concerns. But the engine revs were just too high for relaxed towing and its overtaking performance required the proverbial calendar on motorways. Fuel economy was down in the very low 20's. Hence the replacement was a diesel.
Good luck in your selection.
Skoda Superb 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Follow us on