Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto 1 year 3 weeks ago #444631

• michael_5111967
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
It really annoys my when I read or watch towcar test & they mark down certain models.
I fully understand Vauxhall are not up there in the BMW, Volvo Audi VW or many other expensive top makes however I tow our Lunar Venus 500 4 with our 2016 Mokka Auto & it tows a dream in fact the Auto gearbox is one of the best I have driven & towed with, i point out that I have held my HGV licence since 1984 drive 44T artics most of which have terrible semi Auto gearbox’s. Our Vauxhall is a true Auto with torque converter so non of the problems suffered with semi-autos as so many new cars are fitted with.
So ok we have to be careful how we load and watch the weight we carry & yes it does take a bit longer to reach 60mph but who cares when your towing on holiday!!
Another point if you see a Vauxhall Auto at traffic light & wonder why the driver sits with their foot on the footbrake I.e. stop light on it’s because Vauxhall Auto are neutral boxes mean with footbrake applied for a length of time the gearbox automatically drops into neutral this i great when pulling away on a hill when in conjunction with hill start assist!
My point being is We can’t all afford top brand tow cars but at work I drive Mercedes, Volvo’s, Scania’s with trailer & loads worth well over 100k
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto 1 year 3 weeks ago #444633

• zoaman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
michael_5111967 wrote:
It really annoys my when I read or watch towcar test & they mark down certain models.
I fully understand Vauxhall are not up there in the BMW, Volvo Audi VW or many other expensive top makes however I tow our Lunar Venus 500 4 with our 2016 Mokka Auto & it tows a dream in fact the Auto gearbox is one of the best I have driven & towed with, i point out that I have held my HGV licence since 1984 drive 44T artics most of which have terrible semi Auto gearbox’s. Our Vauxhall is a true Auto with torque converter so non of the problems suffered with semi-autos as so many new cars are fitted with.
So ok we have to be careful how we load and watch the weight we carry & yes it does take a bit longer to reach 60mph but who cares when your towing on holiday!!
Another point if you see a Vauxhall Auto at traffic light & wonder why the driver sits with their foot on the footbrake I.e. stop light on it’s because Vauxhall Auto are neutral boxes mean with footbrake applied for a length of time the gearbox automatically drops into neutral this i great when pulling away on a hill when in conjunction with hill start assist!
My point being is We can’t all afford top brand tow cars but at work I drive Mercedes, Volvo’s, Scania’s with trailer & loads worth well over 100k
Well not knowing excatly what model car you have but looking at the 1.4t is min 1396 kg kerb and a 2013 venus is mtplm of 1190kg(max allowance is 1200kg).so that equates to nigh on 85%.Which if i am correct with you details would be a very good match.And has supprised me.but not sure of the gtw for the comnbination of you car ability..
Buccaneer cruiser 2016,buccaneer comadore 2017,2018 swift kontiki 669.volvo awd se nav lux 67,2015 RR autobiography,mini one.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by zoaman.

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto 1 year 3 weeks ago #444634

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1016
Thank you for your post, which makes a valid point. In fact Vauxhall have over the years made excellent tow cars. Back in the late 70sca friend of mine had s Cavalier that was well ahead of my Mk 2 Cortina as a tow car and a solo drive. The subsequent Cavaliers and Vectras were all good. The current Insignia has had some very good reviews as a tow car.
Glad to see your car has a sensible autobox!
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto 1 year 3 weeks ago #444641

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1261
I have had two Vauxhall Opel Manta's and a Vauxhall Carlton back in the 1980's all of which I rated over the equivalent Ford models of the time. All towed very satisfactorily.

However I do have reservations about the latest Vauxhall models which are now of course owned by PSA. given a couple of years they will basically be rebadged Peugeot's.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto 1 year 3 weeks ago #444642

• zoaman
  • Senior Boarder
The only thing that i did notice (prob not just vauxhall) was with a auto box there was a significaant drop in there tow ability and kerb weight.Many years ago it was the oposite way around.auto cars whereable to pull heavier trailers.But maybe to do with keeping the gear box cooler ,as older carsand prob recent too ,needed a oil cooler to be fitted.alot of folk didnt know this .and as some forgot at a great expense when they went pop.
Buccaneer cruiser 2016,buccaneer comadore 2017,2018 swift kontiki 669.volvo awd se nav lux 67,2015 RR autobiography,mini one.

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto 1 year 3 weeks ago #444643

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 520
We met a family in France back in 2o14 who was pulling a twin axle Bailey Unicorn I think , it was one of the 4x4 specs but said it pulled no problem .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto 1 year 3 weeks ago #444644

• zoaman
  • Senior Boarder
:SCraigyoung wrote:
We met a family in France back in 2o14 who was pulling a twin axle Bailey Unicorn I think , it was one of the 4x4 specs but said it pulled no problem .
There is another 4x4 in the aux range called a antara.which is quite a bit bigger and has tow ability of 2000kg and kerb near 1900kg in some editions
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by zoaman.

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto 1 year 3 weeks ago #444645

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 520
Apologies , that was a model I meant , thank you for the corrections ! :blush:
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto 1 year 3 weeks ago #444651

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 648
I have towed with a few Vauxhalls and all were excellent tow cars, have had very little trouble and was always happy with them. It is possible that we might still have one, but when we went to get a quote on another Vectra the salesman just did not seem interested. It was near the end of the month and raining heavily so it may be he had had a good month and was not bothered about selling any more cars in case they put his targets up.
I had looked at a number of makes that had been given good reports in the magazine tests and looked at those and settled on the Mazda and are now on our third. It appears reliable, comfortable and value for money. I have driven a BMW 5 Series and frankly I cannot see why I would want to pay over £10,000 more for the badge, and a less comfortable car with less equipment, which is possibly less reliable, but comparable to mine.
As far as I know nobody looks down on us and I am happy in the knowledge that I think I have a far better deal than many.
Ray

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4T Auto 1 year 3 weeks ago #444677

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 345
What model of Mazda are you using Ray?
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)

Most recent caravan reviews

Alaria TS

£33,799

Lunar Alaria TS - The smart Alaria has subtle updates for 2019, including new graphics and front locker; self-levelling corner steadies are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)

Venus 550/4

£17,899

Venus 550/4 - The single gas bottle locker is clearly defined in graphite and the lid raises on struts (© Practical Caravan)
Compass Casita 586 - The Casita is Compass' entry-level range, accommodating a family of six in a standard width van (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Fairway Platinum 635 - The smart twin-axle has triple front windows and chrome grab handles, as well as a handle on the A-frame that makes it easier to manoeuvre (© Practical Caravan)