Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto 6 months 1 week ago #459066

• Kris_the_joiner
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello.

Looking into a new car to tow the caravan as our grand C4 Picasso is right on the limit with towing limit at 1500g our caravan max Kaden weight is 1500kg. Also kerbweight ratio is 90+ % so not ideal match. Been looking at Honda CRV that's got the best reliability record and good engine power kerbweight etc. Then really considering the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorrento. Ok they not as reliable as the Honda but bigger and more powerful. Would want post 2010 with the new 2.2 diesel engine.

Now the post 2010 are out of price range but the sister car Hyundai Santa Fe and cracking prices

What I'm interested to know is whether to get the Santa Fe in manual or automatic. I've read loads about the Kia Sorrento manual clutches burning out from towing. Just wondered if that's the same case with the santa Fe.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would go along way in helping us decide on next car
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto 6 months 1 week ago #459070

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1146
I'd surmise that the Hyundai and Kia manuals are very similar so clutch wear could be a problem on both. Although towing if driven correctly shouldn't adversely affect a clutch but manoeuvring a caravan will necessitate clutch slip and perhaps that has caused a problem. Notwithstanding that I would always opt for the auto for towing duties. The two cars of interest to you have torque converter automatics which are normally very reliable and make driving and manoeuvres so much easier. Fuel consumption differences between automatic and manual are marginal in the overall scheme of things.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto 6 months 1 week ago #459075

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 389
In a word,
auto ;)
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto 6 months 1 week ago #459082

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 923
Kris, I had a 2008 Sante Fe, AUTO, and it towed our Coachman 545 and later our 560 both max weight 1645kg, very easily. I now have a 2014 Santa fe auto. I wouldn't want to tow with a manual again.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto 6 months 1 week ago #459085

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 454
+1 for auto. Shogun power. :cheer:
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto 6 months 1 week ago #459097

• Scorpy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
I tow a Coachman 545 with a Sorento Auto 2.2
Apart from the fact I find it a bit slow pulling away on a gradient unles I give it some pedal it tows like a dream. Once rolling you don't know it's there. Uphill & down dale the auto box is spot on. Effortless driving-no arriving like you want to lay in a hot bath for a week!
Depending on what you tow, the fuel consumption does drop a bit-best I can get out of her towing is 30mpg and that's on cruise at 55/60 mph. However solo, can average 45+mpg
The main thing though is you never feel the tail is wagging the dog-total control even in high cross winds and never pushes downhill.
You can pick up a post 2010 now for about £6,500 for a good one and in my opinion a great towcar
Mike
Mike & Jackie
2010 Kia Sorento & Coachman Pastiche 545/4

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto 6 months 1 week ago #459103

• Kris_the_joiner
  • Fresh Boarder
hi everyone
thank you very much for your replies. i see its unanimous for towing with an auto.
would you agree on the honda crv auto?

fao otherclive noticed in your signiture it says you have the sKoda superb 4x4 whats that like.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto 6 months 1 week ago #459105

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1146
Kris_the_joiner wrote:
hi everyone
thank you very much for your replies. i see its unanimous for towing with an auto.
would you agree on the honda crv auto?

fao otherclive noticed in your signiture it says you have the sKoda superb 4x4 whats that like.

I’ve had Disco2, Sorento Gen 1, XC70 Gen3 and Forester SJ. The Superb is up there with any of them as a tow car, great luggage volume and by far the best solo drive and economical too. I actually enjoy trips in “Bradley, or should it be Paloma”. Mines 179 ps 4x4 so I can’t comment on the 2wd version but Skoda Superb (and Ictavua) have consistently won awards in various tow car competitions.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto 6 months 1 week ago #459169

• waffler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 49
We use auto for towing. It saves another job, it’s always in the right gear. I suspect the manuals have bimass flywheels which can be problematic especially when reversing. Check the tow limits on both boxes as the auto may have a lower maximum.
Coachman VIP565 and Kia Sorento KX3

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 manual or auto 5 months 2 weeks ago #460332

• RayS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 210
25 years back I resumed caravanning after a short absence and bought a Discovery td 200 manual. This had the grunt required but also huge turbo lag at low revs and was quite a nightmare when you encountered a necklace of roundabouts forming some town ring roads. Since then it's been all autos, Merc ML270 and E220 and currently Freelander.
No question about it, auto makes for safer and more relaxing towing.

Ray S . 
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 460/2 Deluxe - Venus 460/2 Deluxe offers sharp graphics, glazed door, smart alloys and a large front window. Service points are placed on the offside (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 520 - Clean lines and understated decals give the Pastiche 520 an elegant exterior, and Al-Ko ATC and stabiliser mean it should be an easy tow (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Altea 472 DS Eden - Maximising the window area has helped Adria create a roomy feel, and the whole interior exudes a sleek, modern look that's unusual at this price (© Practical Caravan)
Moto-trek Trek-Away - The Moto-trek Trek-Away standard exterior is off-white; our test model was a very smart silver, one of a choice of colours that's available as a £1620 cost option (© Practical Caravan)