Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Replacement for Ford Kuga

Replacement for Ford Kuga 9 months 3 weeks ago #459753

• Steve619
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone hoping for some advice here as i'm new to the caravan game.
I've currently got a Ford Kuga 2l diesel fwd and im in the market to change it for something long term as it is currently on PCP and i have recently purchased a swift major 6 MPTLM 1480kg. I could keep the current car but being as we are looking to keep the next car long term i would like something with a higher spec.
My issue is though that i am struggling to find another new car that equals the Kuga for :-
1. Price
2.Towing capacity
3. Reasonable everyday running cost (Commuting car)
It seems car companys dont want to make 2litre diesels any longer and short of inflating the price massively to buy top end models such as the Kia Sportage to get a 2 litre i feel kind of stuck.
Has anyone got any suggestions to an SUV i'm missing as i've been to Kia, Mitsubishi etc and it seems everything is petrol or hybrid?
Would a petrol or hybrid tow the Major 6?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Replacement for Ford Kuga 9 months 3 weeks ago #459754

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1376
Steve619 wrote:
Hi everyone hoping for some advice here as i'm new to the caravan game.
I've currently got a Ford Kuga 2l diesel fwd and im in the market to change it for something long term as it is currently on PCP and i have recently purchased a swift major 6 MPTLM 1480kg. I could keep the current car but being as we are looking to keep the next car long term i would like something with a higher spec.
My issue is though that i am struggling to find another new car that equals the Kuga for :-
1. Price
2.Towing capacity
3. Reasonable everyday running cost (Commuting car)
It seems car companys dont want to make 2litre diesels any longer and short of inflating the price massively to buy top end models such as the Kia Sportage to get a 2 litre i feel kind of stuck.
Has anyone got any suggestions to an SUV i'm missing as i've been to Kia, Mitsubishi etc and it seems everything is petrol or hybrid?
Would a petrol or hybrid tow the Major 6?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Don't VAG offer 2.0 litre diesels for their SUVs? There are tests of hybrids for towing (Outlander PHEV) and turbo petrols too, but they don't pull as well as a diesel generally requiring more revs, but if your majority of time is spent solo and not towing then they could be an option. Volvo do hybrids too but they seem to be thirsty beasts, and of course Lexus have had a hybrid SUV out for many years now. You will need to research your needs quite carefully.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Replacement for Ford Kuga 9 months 3 weeks ago #459758

• Steve619
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
VAG?

Replacement for Ford Kuga 9 months 3 weeks ago #459759

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1376
Steve619 wrote:
VAG?

Volkswagen Audi Group including Seat and Skoda.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Replacement for Ford Kuga 9 months 3 weeks ago #459761

• woodsieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
We have Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 diesel, reasonable service costs, tax and economy, are you looking for new,there are quite a few low mileage examples about on Autotrader.

Replacement for Ford Kuga 9 months 3 weeks ago #459765

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 650
What about the Ford Edge ?
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Replacement for Ford Kuga 9 months 3 weeks ago #459776

• Brasso530
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
As you've found,you'll be hard pushed to rival a Kuga on your 3 criteria.Personally if I had more cash I'd go for a new Tiguan ,very similar to Kuga in running costs and tow capacity,BUT a bit more expensive.
As with most things,only you can decide.
P.s If you don't need 4x4 don't get one ,when it goes wrong it's an expense you could do without.
2014 Kuga 2ltr tdi,2014 explore 530

Replacement for Ford Kuga 9 months 3 weeks ago #459792

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 650
Like brasso says , if you don't need 4wd dont get it , we are coming up to 2 years nxt week with our Kuga and I am proud as punch , love it , hopefully it will still be going in the next 1o years pulling the same as what you have , a major 6 . We got ours just as the Edge was getting advertised otherwise I might have thought about getting one of them .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by Craigyoung.

Replacement for Ford Kuga 9 months 3 weeks ago #459794

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1550
You are not limited to SUV's How about a Ford Galaxy, Smax, of equivalents from Volkswagen. Seat. or even Mercedes.

Big on space, comfort, and running costs more like cars than SUV's.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Replacement for Ford Kuga 9 months 3 weeks ago #459798

• Woodentop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171
Look at the VW Tiguan 2L diesel with the new chassis. Takes some beating although not cheap new. Look at VW Das Welt used cars. We have recently changed our Passat Estate for another. We got an 18 plate first registered 29 March 18 with 8K5 on the clock and nearly a third off the new price. 2½ years manufacturers warranty, a year VW Breakdown (extendable for an extra two years if wanted for about £140 at the end of the year) with full European and towing cover. The car we think had been a VW UK management car so had been well looked after and maintained. Brilliant motor.

Only issue is that the V5C says it can tow 1800Kg, the car plate says 1825Kg (which I suspect is correct) and VW (web site and car build data) says it is 2000Kg. It is now in their hands but I am told a new plate is coming. No worry, my caravan is only 1450Kg!
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by Woodentop.

Most recent caravan reviews

Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Cruach Culmor - Built on an Al-Ko chassis, the Culmor has an AKS hitch lock but no ATC anti-snaking. Alloys are standard - as are chic graphics (© Practical Caravan)