Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Modern automatic how to tow?

Modern automatic how to tow? 4 months 3 weeks ago #461248

• ericmark
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I have towed with automatics many times, and reading the instructions there were some with special instructions for towing the Rover 3500 had two drive options one missed using 1st gear to give a smoother take off.

However the Jaguar XE seems to have 5 or so options, Sport, Normal, Eco and Snow, plus a paddle change. OK on a camp site off road then Snow option, but on the road reading the instructions can't really work out what or how the gear box should be used.

I read that the paddles can be used in Sport or Sport and Normal and it seems there is some menu to change it, I can see using the paddles could assist with engine breaking, but as yet not towed with it, and likely it will be some time before I do.

Main tow car is a Kia Sorento which as a tow car has many advantages to the Jag, easy assess and larger luggage space, can carry bikes and tow caravan, don't have to crawl on the floor to plug in electrics, and better view of country side while travelling.

However since the Jag is big enough to tow and we want to carry bikes we had a tow bar fitted, getting a little too old now to lift bikes onto roof, so tow bar bike rack required. The Kia is old so it will likely go well before the Jag, so Jag is ready.

However not a clue how good or bad they are for towing, so seems good idea to ask.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Modern automatic how to tow? 4 months 3 weeks ago #461253

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1146
ericmark wrote:
I have towed with automatics many times, and reading the instructions there were some with special instructions for towing the Rover 3500 had two drive options one missed using 1st gear to give a smoother take off.

However the Jaguar XE seems to have 5 or so options, Sport, Normal, Eco and Snow, plus a paddle change. OK on a camp site off road then Snow option, but on the road reading the instructions can't really work out what or how the gear box should be used.

I read that the paddles can be used in Sport or Sport and Normal and it seems there is some menu to change it, I can see using the paddles could assist with engine breaking, but as yet not towed with it, and likely it will be some time before I do.

Main tow car is a Kia Sorento which as a tow car has many advantages to the Jag, easy assess and larger luggage space, can carry bikes and tow caravan, don't have to crawl on the floor to plug in electrics, and better view of country side while travelling.

However since the Jag is big enough to tow and we want to carry bikes we had a tow bar fitted, getting a little too old now to lift bikes onto roof, so tow bar bike rack required. The Kia is old so it will likely go well before the Jag, so Jag is ready.

However not a clue how good or bad they are for towing, so seems good idea to ask.

Unless your Owner Manual gives specific instructions I would just leave it in drive Normal when towing as Eco may be too high a gear, and use the paddles for hill descents or for a quick change down when overtaking. Although Sport + kick down will give you quick acceleration and responsiveness. Sometime with autos they can be a bit up and down on windy ascents so if that happens i just put it into manual mode and keep it in a suitable gear. Just try different options on different roads to see what feels best for you and the outfit.

Is it a double synchro clutch gearbox or torque convertor? If its the former you should read the thread on Powershift as double synchro clutch boxes are best driven differently to a torque convertor auto. In effect they are automated manual gearboxes and driving methods can sometimes lead to wear on the clutch packs. But oil lubricated double synchro gearboxes are less susceptible than dry lubricated ones. Just something to be aware of, although manufacturers are or have moved across to oil lubricated ones for the later models including lower torque petrol variants.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by otherclive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ericmark

Modern automatic how to tow? 4 months 3 weeks ago #461258

• Dodger524
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 136
I don't have such a choice on my Volvo, its just normal, sports or manual override. I usually leave it in normal unless traversing hill terrain when I use the sport setting since this changes later. As has been said above I guess trial and error is the way to go, I'm sure it will soon be obvious which is the most comfortable setting for you.
Regards Dave
Volvo XC70 D5 auto towing a 2012 Lunar Clubman SB wandering.me.uk/

Modern automatic how to tow? 4 months 3 weeks ago #461260

• mogarage
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I just leave my X3 in normal "comfort" mode (there are four modes - adaptive, sport, eco and comfort). The car pulls well with a 90% match so haven't felt the need to change - IMO just try it and choose yourself because a lot depends on what you are towing.

Modern automatic how to tow? 4 months 3 weeks ago #461261

• Danddandy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
It's definitely a case of try it and see. On my Discover I use the sport setting as coming out of a corner or on a gradient it always selects the right gear as if it knows that there's an extra 1750kg to pull.

Danddandy

Modern automatic how to tow? 4 months 3 weeks ago #461264

• xtrailman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • xtrailman
  • Thank you received: 60
Just drive it in normal. And use the manual to engine brake if required.
175ps Mazda CX-5 with AWD & 420NM at 2K revs. Soon to be a AWD DSG 190ps Tiguan.
Towing a 2017 Swift conqueror 570.
Last of the HT smart Conquerors and 570 models.

Modern automatic how to tow? 4 months 3 weeks ago #461276

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 923
Ericmark, Review here the only letdown is the 75kg tow hitch limit.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Modern automatic how to tow? 4 months 3 weeks ago #461277

• waffler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 49
When towing use normal. Sport will stiffen the suspension, make the steering more precise and leave it later to change up. Eco changes early and slows acceleration. The only time I use the paddles are when in manual and I want to control slow downhill speed. The new car has hill descent so I shouldn't have to do anything with the padddles..
Coachman VIP565 and Kia Sorento KX3

Modern automatic how to tow? 4 months 3 weeks ago #461280

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1146
EH52ARH wrote:
Ericmark, Review here the only letdown is the 75kg tow hitch limit.

Based on the PC review and 85% caravan to kerbweight the noseweight of 75kg represents 6% of the 1254kg MTPLM which is within the recommended band. But what MTPLM is Ericmarcs caravan. I suspect since he’s been towing with a Sorento it’s heavier than 1254kg.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ProfJohnL, ericmark

Modern automatic how to tow? 4 months 3 weeks ago #461291

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1376
Like Clive, I'm not sure why Hutch thinks the cars nose load limit of 75kg is disappointing?

Assuming all other factors have been managed correctly, you only need as much nose load as the outfit requires to keep it towing sweetly.

Simply using more nose load than is required, serves no useful purpose, and of course you should never exceed the prescribed maximum nose load as that can be damaging to the tow vehicle and or trailer.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 460/2 Deluxe - Venus 460/2 Deluxe offers sharp graphics, glazed door, smart alloys and a large front window. Service points are placed on the offside (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 520 - Clean lines and understated decals give the Pastiche 520 an elegant exterior, and Al-Ko ATC and stabiliser mean it should be an easy tow (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Altea 472 DS Eden - Maximising the window area has helped Adria create a roomy feel, and the whole interior exudes a sleek, modern look that's unusual at this price (© Practical Caravan)
Moto-trek Trek-Away - The Moto-trek Trek-Away standard exterior is off-white; our test model was a very smart silver, one of a choice of colours that's available as a £1620 cost option (© Practical Caravan)