• Page:

TOPIC: Need help choosing a tow car, Please

Need help choosing a tow car, Please 1 week 6 days ago #463515

• Gazbut
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
:unsure:
Hi all,
I'm about to buy my first tow car prior to buying a caravan (tha'ts why i'm on here :cheer: )
Totally confused though!!!
The tow car will be for her indoors to commute in; 2 miles each way: and will pull the caravan whenever required; company car for me.
I've narrowed the choice down to Honda CRV, Nissan X Trail or Kia Sportage; all of which will handle our intended caravan. Bailey Madrid hopefully.
My worry is the dreaded DPF's on these diesel cars; reading reviews the good lady's annual mileage could kill a car like this :sick:
Have any of you guys got any advice for me? any experiences would be greatly received.
Many thanks
Gazbut
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need help choosing a tow car, Please 1 week 6 days ago #463530

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 837
Without looking to deep into the spec, which we will need, If your company car could be a Hybrid I would go for a Nissan, x trail. .
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Need help choosing a tow car, Please 1 week 6 days ago #463532

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1261
It seems your two prime needs are a bit of a strange brew. I agree the daily commute is the main concern. In particular the very short journey will not allow a normal combustion engine to get up to full working temperature. Operating at less than optimal temperatures results in poorer combustion and greater rates of wear on moving parts. On diesels this will put an extra load on dpf and certainly can lead to premature and expensive failures.

Petrol engines will also struggle to reach normal operating temperatures
on such a short commute and will see greater wear.

Consequently I concur with Hutch's reply above, a plug in hybrid might be a plausible solution, using electric range for the commute, but having the fossile fuel for the longer and more power hungry towing duties.

Sadly there have been some negative reports about the economy of some hybrids when towing, but it might still make sense, but you would have to look at the balance of milage you do solo and towing, to see if can manage the costs.

The hybrid \ EV market is advancing in lesps and strides, and I am confident that before long a practical EV tow car will be available.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Need help choosing a tow car, Please 1 week 6 days ago #463533

• ericmark
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
We had a similar problem selecting a tow car, I do very little mileage, so we bought a car in the main only used for towing, a Kia Sorento which tows the caravan a dream, and was a cheap second hand car. And I use a Honda Jazz also quite old and petrol so no problem with DPF.

However after doing this my wife bought a car for her, a Jaguar XE which in theory would also tow the caravan, however not sure it would tow it up our new house 1 in 5 drive.

Need help choosing a tow car, Please 1 week 5 days ago #463535

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 520
Gazbut wrote:
:unsure:
Hi all,
I'm about to buy my first tow car prior to buying a caravan (tha'ts why i'm on here :cheer: )
Totally confused though!!!
The tow car will be for her indoors to commute in; 2 miles each way: and will pull the caravan whenever required; company car for me.
I've narrowed the choice down to Honda CRV, Nissan X Trail or Kia Sportage; all of which will handle our intended caravan. Bailey Madrid hopefully.
My worry is the dreaded DPF's on these diesel cars; reading reviews the good lady's annual mileage could kill a car like this :sick:
Have any of you guys got any advice for me? any experiences would be greatly received.
Many thanks
Gazbut

Hi Gazbut ,
Nice choice off veichles but id go Xtrail or Sportage , like the Prof says it's not going to do it any good if she just using it for 2 miles to work and back , get a bike for her !! :P
We had problems with previous car with a DPF that was before we got a caravan but once we got the van and started towing with it , it was fine , it never happened again after that .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by Craigyoung.

Need help choosing a tow car, Please 1 week 5 days ago #463536

• mealsonwheels
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
Have a look at a Kia Sorento. They not only have loads of space to put everything, but have a 7 year Warranty too.
We have a fairly heavy caravan and it pulls it like a dream. A vehicle made for caravanners, in our opinion!

Norfolk - a county and a language   www.norfolkdialect.com

Need help choosing a tow car, Please 1 week 5 days ago #463554

• Niall_McIntosh
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I have the T31 Nissan Xtrail, which is a very good Tow Car in my opinion. I think some of the early ones (and Qashqais) had DPF issues, but I have never had a problem in the three years I have had mine.
Bailey Unicorn Vigo, Nissan X Trail.

Need help choosing a tow car, Please 1 week 5 days ago #463555

• Woodentop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 143
To the OP: the thing that most newcomers overlook is the driving licence. If you passed your test after 1/1/97 you will only have B on your licence which permits you to drive and tow up to a train weight of 3500Kg - and note that is plated weight, not actual. If your outfit comes to more than 3500Kg you will need to take an extra test to get upgraded to B+E.
If you passed your test before that date then you already have it through so-called Grandparent Rights.

Need help choosing a tow car, Please 1 week 5 days ago #463556

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1016
Your wife’s driving needs are totally incompatible with a diesel fitted with DPF. They arent great for a petrol either as the distance likely to be covered isn’t sufficient to warm the engine and oils to operating temperature. My Skoda can take 7 miles for coolant temperature to come up but on a cold day the engine oil will still be at 75deg c as opposed to 95deg c the normal non towing oil temperature.

You need to rethink the situation because dpf problems are costly to rectify and generally don’t fall under warranty on a second hand car.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Need help choosing a tow car, Please 1 week 5 days ago #463557

• Gazbut
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you for all of your replies.

I cannot change the company car as suggested so it needs to be a commuter for the good lady and a towing vehicle also.

It's the dpf that has had me worried.

From research igoing for petrol just doesn't seem a viable option.

So from your experiences just how often do I need to give a diesel a blast to look after the dpf? Weekly, fortnightly?

Another vehicle that has caught my eye is the mitsubishi outlander? Any thoughts?
Thanks again
Gazbut
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Alaria TS

£33,799

Lunar Alaria TS - The smart Alaria has subtle updates for 2019, including new graphics and front locker; self-levelling corner steadies are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)

Venus 550/4

£17,899

Venus 550/4 - The single gas bottle locker is clearly defined in graphite and the lid raises on struts (© Practical Caravan)
Compass Casita 586 - The Casita is Compass' entry-level range, accommodating a family of six in a standard width van (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Fairway Platinum 635 - The smart twin-axle has triple front windows and chrome grab handles, as well as a handle on the A-frame that makes it easier to manoeuvre (© Practical Caravan)