Welcome, Guest
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: 7 seater ??non-diesel

7 seater ??non-diesel 2 months 1 week ago #463683

  • Turps
  • Turps's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 13
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all! I currently have a galaxy but it’s 14y old and probably going to need replacing soon. My husband reckons diesel is being demonised by govt with increased price and tax etc.. so keen to avoid. We’re a family of 5 (but often end up as 6 with my mum) currently towing a too small coachman Amara 520/4 which is also going to need upgrading in the next year or two.. help?!?!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

7 seater ??non-diesel 2 months 1 week ago #463692

  • Raywood
  • Raywood's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 3976
  • Thank you received: 681
I think you may need to decide what you are going to be towing next, or at least settle on a weight limit for it. You can then look at the budget to get options, but in general they are pretty limited. My solution was to buy a copy of What Car which has all the petrol specs in it and whittle them down based on weight and power and torque.
Ray
The administrator has disabled public write access.

7 seater ??non-diesel 2 months 1 week ago #463700

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 11745
  • Thank you received: 1373
I agree with Ray, until you know a bit more detail of the caravan, it will be difficult to know what you need to look at for the car.

I did google "Petrol 7 seater's" and there are some current models out there but what I could not determine was what their towing capacities were without doing a lot more research.

Also you might find some good secondhand units. For example Ford used to do the Galaxy with a 2.3L Petrol, Renault used to do their Espaces with a range of petrol engines, but these may now be too old for you.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

7 seater ??non-diesel 2 months 1 week ago #463705

  • Woodentop
  • Woodentop's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 623
  • Thank you received: 150
This diesel thing IMO is just another part of Project Fear. Diesel will be around for a long time yet and if you get a new vehicle it will be Euro 6 (needs AdBlue is the giveaway) which makes it one of the cleanest vehicles on the road. Remember fuel consumption goes up like a rocket when towing with a petrol engine.

Another good place to look for data and grounded opinions on vehicles is www.honestjohn.co.uk - he is the motoring correspondent of the Saturday Telegraph and will reply quickly if you mail him with any queries.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

7 seater ??non-diesel 2 months 1 week ago #463712

  • Craigyoung
  • Craigyoung's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Posts: 2591
  • Thank you received: 575
Our Kuga is a Euro 6 but not with AdBlue
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

7 seater ??non-diesel 2 months 1 week ago #463713

  • Guzzilazz
  • Guzzilazz's Avatar
  • Online
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 97
  • Thank you received: 20
Craigyoung wrote:
Our Kuga is a Euro 6 but not with AdBlue

Yep, quite right. AdBlue isn't an essential part of Euro 6, a subset of vehicles don't need it.
Larry from N. Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera
Kuga 2.0 Titanium 150PS 2WD
The administrator has disabled public write access.

7 seater ??non-diesel 2 months 1 week ago #463719

  • Raywood
  • Raywood's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 3976
  • Thank you received: 681
Woodentop wrote:
This diesel thing IMO is just another part of Project Fear. Diesel will be around for a long time yet and if you get a new vehicle it will be Euro 6 (needs AdBlue is the giveaway) which makes it one of the cleanest vehicles on the road. Remember fuel consumption goes up like a rocket when towing with a petrol engine.

Another good place to look for data and grounded opinions on vehicles is www.honestjohn.co.uk - he is the motoring correspondent of the Saturday Telegraph and will reply quickly if you mail him with any queries.

I agree diesel will be around for a good bit yet, but at what price. I may be wrong but I suspect diesel may get taxed rather more in the future and the 10p price difference between that and petrol is wiping out the mpg difference. Having said that given haulage and buses still rely heavily on diesel increasing the tax may be a problem, so you have to make up your own mind on this and hope you are correct.
Recent news though suggests that diesels have lost 20% of their resale value so this is another thing to take into account.
Ray
The administrator has disabled public write access.

7 seater ??non-diesel 2 months 1 week ago #463720

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 5446
  • Thank you received: 1142
Raywood wrote:
Woodentop wrote:
This diesel thing IMO is just another part of Project Fear. Diesel will be around for a long time yet and if you get a new vehicle it will be Euro 6 (needs AdBlue is the giveaway) which makes it one of the cleanest vehicles on the road. Remember fuel consumption goes up like a rocket when towing with a petrol engine.

Another good place to look for data and grounded opinions on vehicles is www.honestjohn.co.uk - he is the motoring correspondent of the Saturday Telegraph and will reply quickly if you mail him with any queries.

I agree diesel will be around for a good bit yet, but at what price. I may be wrong but I suspect diesel may get taxed rather more in the future and the 10p price difference between that and petrol is wiping out the mpg difference. Having said that given haulage and buses still rely heavily on diesel increasing the tax may be a problem, so you have to make up your own mind on this and hope you are correct.
Recent news though suggests that diesels have lost 20% of their resale value so this is another thing to take into account.

You see so many reports re diesel prices that its hard to know what to believe. I read one recently that said although new diesel sales were down the residuals for pre-owned were holding firm. The price difference between petrol and diesel is hard to explain. It would be interesting to see what it is in other EU countries where the mix of cars is similar to UK Ive just come back from a week in Iceland and there the price of both fuels was virtually identical.

PS Edit Link to Europe fuel prices.
fuel-prices-europe.info/
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

7 seater ??non-diesel 2 months 6 days ago #463742

  • EH52ARH
  • EH52ARH's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Posts: 4419
  • Thank you received: 920
I can not afford to change my 5 year old Sante Fe to anything else, and carry on our desire to caravan outings, the range of pure electric cars is despicable, Hybrids are too expensive. So what are my option, stay with what I have , to tow with or buy a very old Range Rover diesel exempt from road tax. ;)
Or go back to an old Rover 3.5 P5. Lovely but expensive tow car, sorry not a 7 seater.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
Last Edit: 2 months 6 days ago by EH52ARH.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

7 seater ??non-diesel 2 months 6 days ago #463748

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 11745
  • Thank you received: 1373
EH52ARH wrote:
...the range of pure electric cars is despicable...

The range of pure EV's has been poor, and that has been a real concern because of the relatively small number of public charging points. But, enormous amount of development is taking place on the cars efficiencies, battery capacities and charging points available. The some of the next generation of EV's will have up to 350kw charging capability meaning a stop at a charger could take as little as 15min for a 75% or more refill.

Obviously the charging network needs and will grow, but presently it a bit of Mish mash in the UK., Too many different systems, and incompatability. The suppliers need to get their act together to make it as simple as going to a petrol station, and not just a particular brand.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 460/2 Deluxe - Venus 460/2 Deluxe offers sharp graphics, glazed door, smart alloys and a large front window. Service points are placed on the offside (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 520 - Clean lines and understated decals give the Pastiche 520 an elegant exterior, and Al-Ko ATC and stabiliser mean it should be an easy tow (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Altea 472 DS Eden - Maximising the window area has helped Adria create a roomy feel, and the whole interior exudes a sleek, modern look that's unusual at this price (© Practical Caravan)
Moto-trek Trek-Away - The Moto-trek Trek-Away standard exterior is off-white; our test model was a very smart silver, one of a choice of colours that's available as a £1620 cost option (© Practical Caravan)