Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 'Real' 4x4's

'Real' 4x4's 4 months 2 weeks ago #467854

  • fooddestroyer
  • fooddestroyer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 26
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey guys.

My wife wants me to tow her food trailer (a converted horse box). It's heavier than my touring caravan and we are considering changing our lovely Honda CRV 2009 2.2 CDTi for something a bit more masculine even though the Honda has a decent tow ability [towcar.info/GB/outfitmatch.php].

I haven't a fortune to spend, and baulk at the idea of having to fork out a load more on fuel and tax, especially as the vehicle we have to be used a general family vehicle also. But I understand overall costs will be more with this type of change.

I've started the hunt for used 'real' 4x4's that 'won't get pushed around' and find myself coming back to look at
- Mitsubishi Shogun
- Landrover Discovery
- Mercedes-Benz ML
- Even Jeep

Straight cash budget around 7-8k (I know, I know its low but I have spotted a few deals), and I want diesel with manual gears.

Ideas welcome! and thanks guys.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

'Real' 4x4's 4 months 2 weeks ago #467857

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6125
  • Thank you received: 1401
There are also some nice Sorentos out there. Many with relatively low mileage. The Ssyayongs. have a good reputation too. You don’t say what weight the trailer is and why a real 4x4 is required. Would a Freelander 2 do the job? Good reputation fir reliability. More info would help. Or just go nap and get a landcruiser:-)
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fooddestroyer

'Real' 4x4's 4 months 2 weeks ago #467864

  • Thingy
  • Thingy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2254
  • Thank you received: 573
I have the Shogun, its my second and I totally love it.

Kerbweight is around the 2300kg mark, depending on accessories fitted, max tow is 3500kg, with 140kg on the towball. Tax is a fraction of the Disco, and with a 3.2 diesel, it should do all you require. I wouldnt be afraid of a higher mileage shogun, they are fairly easy to work on, but dont rule out the auto, it works really well.

If I can fault the Shogun for anything, on the seven seat model, the third row folds into the floor, but the middle row dont fold flat, they fold up which shortens the load bay from what it could be. Even so, its cavernous.

You should certainly get a Shogun at your budget, and the repair costs on both the Merc and Disco would concern me. Dont know a lot about Jeeps.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Thingy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fooddestroyer

'Real' 4x4's 4 months 2 weeks ago #467868

  • fooddestroyer
  • fooddestroyer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 26
  • Thank you received: 5
otherclive wrote:
There are also some nice Sorentos out there. Many with relatively low mileage. The Ssyayongs. have a good reputation too. You don’t say what weight the trailer is and why a real 4x4 is required. Would a Freelander 2 do the job? Good reputation fir reliability. More info would help. Or just go nap and get a landcruiser:-)

I'm getting the trailer weighed on Tuesday to be clear, but I towed it a few days ago. And compared to our Compass Connoisseur 6 berth, it felt like a ton. The CRV felt 'bullied'!

I'll checkout Ssyayongs and Sorentos - thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

'Real' 4x4's 4 months 2 weeks ago #467869

  • fooddestroyer
  • fooddestroyer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 26
  • Thank you received: 5
Thingy wrote:
I have the Shogun, its my second and I totally love it.

Kerbweight is around the 2300kg mark, depending on accessories fitted, max tow is 3500kg, with 140kg on the towball. Tax is a fraction of the Disco, and with a 3.2 diesel, it should do all you require. I wouldnt be afraid of a higher mileage shogun, they are fairly easy to work on, but dont rule out the auto, it works really well.

If I can fault the Shogun for anything, on the seven seat model, the third row folds into the floor, but the middle row dont fold flat, they fold up which shortens the load bay from what it could be. Even so, its cavernous.

You should certainly get a Shogun at your budget, and the repair costs on both the Merc and Disco would concern me. Dont know a lot about Jeeps.

Great advice, thanks.

What about real mpg?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

'Real' 4x4's 4 months 2 weeks ago #467871

  • Thingy
  • Thingy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2254
  • Thank you received: 573
What about real mpg?

Mine is a somewhat newer than those referred to in your budget. Around town, ouch, 21/22 mpg. On a motorway cruise, I get into the low to mid 30's depending on how heavy my right foot is on the day. Being an ex artic driver, and working for a company that was very hot on economical driving, I am well practiced in milking every last mile from a gallon. Towing, as a comparison, I used to have the following unit

Volvo XC70 2.4 D5 towing a Swift Challenger Sport 520. I would get around 21 to 24 on a long tow.
Shogun with a caravan with MTPLM of 1734kg (far heavier than the Challenger), I get slightly more than the Volvo with lighter unit, around 24 - 25.

If I come out of Drive on the motorway, and use sequential, in 2wd mode, I can maybe get 36/37.

My road tax is £325 p.a., some of the Discos, the 2.7s i think are around £570 per annum.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Thingy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fooddestroyer

'Real' 4x4's 4 months 2 weeks ago #467872

  • fooddestroyer
  • fooddestroyer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 26
  • Thank you received: 5
Thingy wrote:
What about real mpg?

Mine is a somewhat newer than those referred to in your budget. Around town, ouch, 21/22 mpg. On a motorway cruise, I get into the low to mid 30's depending on how heavy my right foot is on the day. Being an ex artic driver, and working for a company that was very hot on economical driving, I am well practiced in milking every last mile from a gallon. Towing, as a comparison, I used to have the following unit

Volvo XC70 2.4 D5 towing a Swift Challenger Sport 520. I would get around 21 to 24 on a long tow.
Shogun with a caravan with MTPLM of 1734kg (far heavier than the Challenger), I get slightly more than the Volvo with lighter unit, around 24 - 25.

If I come out of Drive on the motorway, and use sequential, in 2wd mode, I can maybe get 36/37.

Thanks Thingy.

What's your thoughts on the mentioned Volvo - are they a 'real' (enough) towcar for heavier loads?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

'Real' 4x4's 4 months 2 weeks ago #467874

  • Thingy
  • Thingy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2254
  • Thank you received: 573
Just to add, I have had Shoguns for a little over 5 years now, and my only repair has been one rear spring, although I elected to do the pair. Ignoring of course a dent that wifey managed to do with a child seat.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fooddestroyer

'Real' 4x4's 4 months 2 weeks ago #467876

  • Raywood
  • Raywood's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 4348
  • Thank you received: 809
Not sure how big the trailer is or how far you are planning to tow the trailer, but if it is short distances then the weight issue may be less of a problem than with a caravan. If it is one of the smaller types then there should be less problem with crosswinds, so not easy to be precise on the issue.
Ray
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fooddestroyer

'Real' 4x4's 4 months 2 weeks ago #467878

  • fooddestroyer
  • fooddestroyer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 26
  • Thank you received: 5
Raywood wrote:
Not sure how big the trailer is or how far you are planning to tow the trailer, but if it is short distances then the weight issue may be less of a problem than with a caravan. If it is one of the smaller types then there should be less problem with crosswinds, so not easy to be precise on the issue.

Its approx 10ft long and 12ft (inc. chimney) high).

Feels like a brut though :(
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Pegasus Rimini - The new Pegasus is now 8ft wide, but its profile remains pretty much the same, except for smart new graphics (© Practical Caravan)