Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Practical Caravan Car Reviews

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 3 months 6 days ago #468804

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 653
Thingy wrote:
Forgive me for asking but what is IAM & ROSPA ?

Institute of Advanced Motoring and Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents. I did the ROSPA course when driving Artics. Wasnt really much about it, and I certainly didnt learn anything new. The firm had recently had a number of accidents, one in which two people were sadly killed. I wasnt involved, but the insurance company insisted all drivers did the course.

The bulk of the course was about reading the road ahead, which in all honestly, any moderately proficient artic man does anyway.

So its similar to CPC courses that we do now where we have to have 35 hours off courses in over 5 years . Cheers .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by Craigyoung.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 3 months 6 days ago #468805

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1556
Craigyoung wrote:
Thingy wrote:
Institute of Advanced Motoring and Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents. I did the ROSPA course when driving Artics. Wasnt really much about it, and I certainly didnt learn anything new. The firm had recently had a number of accidents, one in which two people were sadly killed. I wasnt involved, but the insurance company insisted all drivers did the course.

The bulk of the course was about reading the road ahead, which in all honestly, any moderately proficient artic man does anyway.
Craigyoung wrote:
So its similar to CPC courses that we do now where we have to have 35 hours off courses in over 5 years . Cheers .

I presume the CPC you refer to is Certificate of Professional Competence, s that correct?
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by ProfJohnL. Reason: 3rd attempt to sort out quotes

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 3 months 6 days ago #468806

• Clifford_374377114
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
In my view, it is not how much Motty is qualified but how experienced he is, which is very!
Cliff

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 3 months 6 days ago #468807

• Guzzilazz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 61
Be careful with "experience"... is it 25 yrs experience or 1 yr experience 25 times over....
Larry from N. Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera
Kuga 2.0 Titanium 150PS 2WD
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 3 months 5 days ago #468847

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 653
ProfJohnL wrote:
Craigyoung wrote:
Thingy wrote:

Craigyoung wrote:

I presume the CPC you refer to is Certificate of Professional Competence, s that correct?

Yes prof .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Practical Caravan Car Reviews 2 months 1 week ago #469806

• SamandRose
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
I have returned from two weeks' caravanning in France - lovely and thankfully snake-free - ready to re-ignite this issue ...

Dusty - no offence taken at all but you raise an interesting point regarding when a driver becomes 'qualified'.

I will admit here and now that I possess none of the driver categories / licences referenced. All of my towing experience is self-taught, initially by playing with toy cars and trailers as a child - hey, don't knock it, it really does help to teach you how to reverse - observing other people's experience with horse trailers in my early teens and subsequently gained from my own experience with a small camping trailer and eventually my current caravan. So it's fine by me if you all dismiss my experience of the Hyundai as irrelevant, without substance and based on the opinion of someone ill-qualified to offer it.

However - what if the same thing had happened to Motty during his road test? If be cannot honestly report his experience, and offer his opinion based on it without facing criticism then he is quite simply being restricted from doing the job we all want him to do.

Regarding the driver categories listed: I'm sorry but I can't see how having a PCV licence is of any relevance to towing at all. I can see that having an HGV licence might, but the trailer of an articulated lorry differs from a caravan in almost every possible way. Police drivers are clearly more experienced at driving cars solo in extreme conditions, but how often do they tow? I suspect the answer is 'rarely, if ever'. And IAM and ROSPA courses obviously promote driver safety, but we aren't looking for journalists to be safe. Their tests such as the 'sudden lane change' are as close as they can get to those moments where we might have to take sudden evasive or corrective action as a result of either our own, or someone else's human error.

Final thought: I've just read this year's Tow Car awards. No spoilers, but this time I agree absolutely with the comments made on the winning vehicle, based on personal experience with an identical car. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneS, Anseo

Most recent caravan reviews

Hymer Nova 470GL - The Hymer Nova offers great build quality, meaning it's no lightweight van (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)