Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Atkinson cycle engines

Atkinson cycle engines 4 weeks 1 day ago #473257

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1177
Has anyone towed with these petrol engines?
They seem to be used mainly by Japanese and Korean manufacturers in hybrid vehicles. Looking at the animations there seem to be a lot of “big end “bearings.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Atkinson cycle engines 4 weeks 1 day ago #473268

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 501
That's news to me DD, very interesting and enlightening, good post old chap.
:)
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)

Atkinson cycle engines 4 weeks 1 day ago #473269

• camel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Why should they use a name like Atkinson Bamber bridge born and bred,

Atkinson cycle engines 4 weeks 1 day ago #473270

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1062
It is not quite as complex as the Bristol Centarus, 18 cylinder Two row, sleeve valve engine I had a happy six months on. . :P
Hutch, aka, that annoying toad.
Woosie King , Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Atkinson cycle engines 4 weeks 1 day ago #473276

• Guzzilazz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
EH52ARH wrote:
It is not quite as complex as the Bristol Centarus, 18 cylinder Two row, sleeve valve engine I had a happy six months on. . :P

Or the Deltic…
:lol:
Larry from N. Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera
Kuga 2.0 Titanium 150PS 2WD

Atkinson cycle engines 4 weeks 1 day ago #473277

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1401
Guzzilazz wrote:
EH52ARH wrote:

Or the Deltic…
:lol:

My first job after completing an Application Course was to manage the Turbine and ICE shops in Devonport. We had a steady stream of Deltics, Paxman Ventura and Valenta plus ASR1 to overhaul. Most of them were problematic in one way or another.

Then when I returned to the Naval College the dear Stirling engine was thought to be the answer to the submariners dream of silent running.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Atkinson cycle engines 4 weeks 1 day ago #473288

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1582
otherclive wrote:
My first job after completing an Application Course was to manage the Turbine and ICE shops in Devonport. We had a steady stream of Deltics, Paxman Ventura and Valenta plus ASR1 to overhaul. Most of them were problematic in one way or another.

Then when I returned to the Naval College the dear Stirling engine was thought to be the answer to the submariners dream of silent running.

Nice simple external combustion engine, very quiet, but hopelessly inefficient, and difficult to scale up from small models to produce practical output powers. Various attempts to improve them including pressurising the internal volume, but I don't know of anything bigger than about 40HP, .

The victorians had a good use for them,

www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd...ust=1566683660806625
they made dtove top versions to drive a a fan to circulate warm air around a room. Modern equivalents use a peltier thermo electric chip powering an electric motor.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Atkinson cycle engines 4 weeks 20 hours ago #473294

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
ProfJohnL wrote:
otherclive wrote:

Nice simple external combustion engine, very quiet, but hopelessly inefficient, and difficult to scale up from small models to produce practical output powers. Various attempts to improve them including pressurising the internal volume, but I don't know of anything bigger than about 40HP, .

The victorians had a good use for them,

www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd...ust=1566683660806625
they made dtove top versions to drive a a fan to circulate warm air around a room. Modern equivalents use a peltier thermo electric chip powering an electric motor.

Thanks Prof. The Swedish Gotland class have a 75kw Stirling powering a generator. They’ve been developing them since the early 1980s. Horse for courses I guess.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Atkinson cycle engines 4 weeks 20 hours ago #473295

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
For anyone more interested the link gives a good explanation of Atkinson engines. But even these are now “ hybrid” with the introduction of VVT.

everything.explained.today/Atkinson_cycle/
The following user(s) said Thank You: ProfJohnL, Dustydog

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Pegasus Rimini - The new Pegasus is now 8ft wide, but its profile remains pretty much the same, except for smart new graphics (© Practical Caravan)