• Page:

TOPIC: Passat 2.0 140 estate towing

Passat 2.0 140 estate towing 3 weeks 6 hours ago #473578

• Dazzzzbo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Wrong section sorry
Last Edit: 3 weeks 6 hours ago by Dazzzzbo. Reason: Wrong section
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Passat 2.0 140 estate towing 3 weeks 6 hours ago #473580

• Dazzzzbo
  • Junior Boarder
Very Sorry just realised I posted in wrong section plz move as require

Cheers

Passat 2.0 140 estate towing 3 weeks 6 hours ago #473582

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1401
It’s the website idiosyncratic way the Mods tend to move messages to the correct section. Guess you’re looking for advice on the Passat as a Towcar?
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dazzzzbo

Passat 2.0 140 estate towing 3 weeks 4 hours ago #473591

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1062
Never had to tow one, they are normally pretty reliable.
Welcome Dazzzbo. :P
Hutch.
Hutch, aka, that annoying toad.
Woosie King , Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Passat 2.0 140 estate towing 3 weeks 4 hours ago #473592

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 858
Just seen this posting, or apologies for posting in New Members and have moved it to here.
I am guessing that the OP would like any info from owners of same car to advise on suitability.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Parksy, Dazzzzbo

Passat 2.0 140 estate towing 2 weeks 4 days ago #473739

• Dazzzzbo
  • Junior Boarder
Hi all

Thank you for replying I deleted as I couldn’t see how to move it :cheer:
Basically I gave a 2007 2.0 Passat 140bhp estate.
I have been towing an Elddis crown with a mpltm of 1300kg. It pulls it fine and have been away a few times. However I bought the caravan when the wife was away for the day without her permission lol and she doesn’t like it. We ended up going to look at a fleetwood/Adria sonata concerto 6 berth.
On the net all the reviews and and advert sites stated mtlpm as 1300kg. When we went to look we loved it and wanted it. The Adria booklet stated 1090kg miro and 1300kg mtlpm so happy days or do I thought. when I checked the vin plate it was 1190kg and 1500kg mtlpm I passed after 97 so I knew I couldn’t tow it.
The wife realy wanted van so I ended up ringing back and agreed the sale. I booked the B+E test and gave had the lessons just awaiting test date.
I put my Passat on a weighbridge and it is 1540kg with an empty tank.
With just me in and 3/4 tank it will be 1660kg at the kerb.
I will have the wife and kids + equipment which will make the car approx 1800kg at least.
I know I will be legal towing the van but will it be suitable ? I am already looking at Ford Galaxy’s as they are heavier.
I am not new to towing as I had a caravan a few years ago but I like to worry about stuff :blink:

Sorry for long post
Cheers.

Passat 2.0 140 estate towing 2 weeks 4 days ago #473741

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Dazzzzbo wrote:
Hi all

Thank you for replying I deleted as I couldn’t see how to move it :cheer:
Basically I gave a 2007 2.0 Passat 140bhp estate.
I have been towing an Elddis crown with a mpltm of 1300kg. It pulls it fine and have been away a few times. However I bought the caravan when the wife was away for the day without her permission lol and she doesn’t like it. We ended up going to look at a fleetwood/Adria sonata concerto 6 berth.
On the net all the reviews and and advert sites stated mtlpm as 1300kg. When we went to look we loved it and wanted it. The Adria booklet stated 1090kg miro and 1300kg mtlpm so happy days or do I thought. when I checked the vin plate it was 1190kg and 1500kg mtlpm I passed after 97 so I knew I couldn’t tow it.
The wife realy wanted van so I ended up ringing back and agreed the sale. I booked the B+E test and gave had the lessons just awaiting test date.
I put my Passat on a weighbridge and it is 1540kg with an empty tank.
With just me in and 3/4 tank it will be 1660kg at the kerb.
I will have the wife and kids + equipment which will make the car approx 1800kg at least.
I know I will be legal towing the van but will it be suitable ? I am already looking at Ford Galaxy’s as they are heavier.
I am not new to towing as I had a caravan a few years ago but I like to worry about stuff :blink:

Sorry for long post
Cheers.

3/4,tank weighing 120kg. I think at .832kg per litre for diesel you need to recheck your figures.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Passat 2.0 140 estate towing 2 weeks 4 days ago #473743

• Dazzzzbo
  • Junior Boarder
I said with just me in at 85kg plus approx 45 litres of fuel. It was just an estimate.
I weighed the car empty without me in.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by Dazzzzbo.

Passat 2.0 140 estate towing 2 weeks 4 days ago #473744

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Dazzzzbo wrote:
I said with just me in at 85kg plus approx 45 litres of fuel. It was just an estimate.
I weighed the car empty without me in.

Oops. Apologies

With kerbweight:MTPLM of 90% and if within the makers towing specification the outfit should be okay. And as you say more load will go into the car so you need to ensure that Gross train Weight is within makers spec, but knowing VAG cars you should be oaky, but check. As long as all legal boxes are ticke why not give the outfit a run out to a local site and see how it performs. The 140 bhp VAG engines pull well.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by otherclive.

Passat 2.0 140 estate towing 2 weeks 4 days ago #473745

• Woodentop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 176
The B6 estate that you probably have (bulls-eye LED rear light clusters?) has a kerb weight of 1525Kg and a towing capacity of 1800Kg so you will have no trouble - so why go for a different vehicle? The Passat is one of the better cars on the road, easy to drive, good, willing, and economical engine, and as comfortable seats as you will find anywhere.
If it does not have a towbar yet get a Westfalia removable fitted and you're laughing.

We had a 58 plate which we bought at three years old and it was one of the best cars we have ever had. So much so that we went from that to a B7 estate 140TDi and now have a B8 150 GT estate which tows best of the lot.
If you want more space but a car that also tows well, look seriously at a Skoda Superb estate - previous owners will often say that it is a better car than a VW - they certainly have very good dealers!
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Pegasus Rimini - The new Pegasus is now 8ft wide, but its profile remains pretty much the same, except for smart new graphics (© Practical Caravan)