Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight

Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight 1 week 1 day ago #475054

• Jazzhands
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all, new to the forum though had my Abbey Vogue 620 for approx 10 years now.

I am looking at a Seat Tarraco as my next tow car primarily because it is the best I can get on the Motability scheme.
The engine would be a 2.0d 150 PS and is specified at Max brakes towing weight of 2300kg.
My concern would be if this is powerful enough to reasonably tow the Vogue which has an MTPLM of 1635kg but is not usually loaded up that much.
Can anyone offer any advice on whether the Tarraco would be a good to car for the Vogue?

Many thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight 1 week 1 day ago #475056

• audiorob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 91
According to 'Carleasingmadesimple.com' website the Tarraca weighs between 1559 and 1770 kg which should be regarded as the suitability for towing - not the 2300 which relates to specific restsrting on hill testing I think. Clearly you are an experienced caravanner, but still the adage of 'the biggest car you can run and the smallest caravan that meets your need' is a good one - and aiming for somewhere between the 85% and 100% of kerbweight makes your caravan between too heavy or very heavy in comparison depending on the car model specifics.

Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight 1 week 1 day ago #475058

• Jazzhands
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply Audiorob. I am comfortable with the weights of the car and caravan and don’t believe that will be a problem.
Where I am less comfortable with is the engine power to weight ratio of the combined unit and whether the 150 PS (148BHP) is sufficient to pull the unit.

Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight 1 week 1 day ago #475060

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1610
Throughout the mists of time, the industry has suggested power to weight ratio of 40bhp HP per Ton, and that was in the days when petrol engines needed lots of revs before any useful torque was produced.

These days the majority tow vehicles still have diesel or turbo assisted petrol engines, where the torque band comes in at lower engine revs, so its my guess that a power to weight ratio of nearer 35bhp per Ton will be more than adequate to tow with.

Seat use VW group engines and the 2.0D series have always faired well in towing tests, so I don't think you will lack power with 150.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight 1 week 1 day ago #475065

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1427
Jazzhands wrote:
Thanks for the reply Audiorob. I am comfortable with the weights of the car and caravan and don’t believe that will be a problem.
Where I am less comfortable with is the engine power to weight ratio of the combined unit and whether the 150 PS (148BHP) is sufficient to pull the unit.

My Sorento (2004) and Disco 2 only had 138 bhp but were able to pull trailers heavier than yours. It’s not just power but the torque developed and the vehicles powertrain gearing. I suspect being a car derived SUV the Seat has higher gearing than my two beasts above. But as Proj John says VWG engines are well regarded. You could try Towcar.info to see what the predictions look like.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight 1 week 1 day ago #475066

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1080
ProfJohnL wrote:
Throughout the mists of time, the industry has suggested power to weight ratio of 40bhp HP per Ton, and that was in the days when petrol engines needed lots of revs before any useful torque was produced.

These days the majority tow vehicles still have diesel or turbo assisted petrol engines, where the torque band comes in at lower engine revs, so its my guess that a power to weight ratio of nearer 35bhp per Ton will be more than adequate to tow with.

Seat use VW group engines and the 2.0D series have always faired well in towing tests, so I don't think you will lack power with 150.

Its not so much the Horse power, it's the torque that the engine is producing which is more important.
10 Shetland ponies as against 2 Big old Clydesdales.
Hutch,
Woosie King , Were-Rabbit look at The Woosie Thread.
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
The following user(s) said Thank You: JezzerB

Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight 1 week 13 hours ago #475074

• Jazzhands
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate you taking the time out to respond.

Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight 1 week 13 hours ago #475076

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
EH52ARH wrote:
ProfJohnL wrote:

Its not so much the Horse power, it's the torque that the engine is producing which is more important.
10 Shetland ponies as against 2 Big old Clydesdales.

I made that point in my second paragraph.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight 1 week 11 hours ago #475080

• Jazzhands
  • Fresh Boarder
Is there a torque number that I should be looking at to give me comfortable feeling?
The spec on the Seat site says the 150PS diesel has 340 Nm / 250 lb/ft / 1750-3000 rpm.

Seat Tarraco and Power to Weight 1 week 9 hours ago #475081

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
The engine you have is more than good enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jazzhands
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Alicanto Grande Sintra - The distinctive exterior has metallic decals (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)