Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive?

Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive? 3 years 9 months ago #410306

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1655
Quite frequently the question of what driving licence entitlements you have is raised, and the usual thing to do is to go to a search engine and look for them. Im most cases the search will direct you to a government web site, and you would hope the information it contains would be correct.
Sadly the information about driving licences has been flawed and particularly in the context of caravanning. I have challenged the web master about this and some changes were made, but then they introduced new small errors or misleading information that can lead the unsuspecting caravanner to be driving illegally.

The problem is the actual underlying legislation is very complex, and in trying to make it compact enough for the web site some of the detail is lost. It is further compounded by the fact the details of what each category allows have changed over time, BUT due to the principle of ‘Acquired Rights’ or ‘Grandfather Rights’. the definition of the categories you were awarded when you passed your test remain applicable to you, and the revised definitions are not retrospective. This leads to considerable confusion about the details of what you can and can't drive.

I started to look at producing a readable guide to Driving licence entitlements, but in the course of my research, I found someone else had already come to the same conclusions and has as far as I can see managed it very well.

I have alluded to the fact it is complex, and consequently it is not a short document, but at least it does seem to allow you to navigate through the necessary details in a realistic manner.

I have no connection to this company or website but do applaud the effort they have made .

Please take your time to read it and draw your own conclusions.

www.drivex.co.uk/driving-licence-info/#BE
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by ProfJohnL. Reason: Typos
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Parksy, martindf3

Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive? 3 years 9 months ago #410328

• JamesH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I read the article via the link given and noted that it said if you passed your driving test pre 1997 you would automatically be entitled to drive cats. BE C1 C1E D1 and D1E. BUT you loose these entitlements at the age of 70.
Even more confusing is the fact that on the one hand you loose the above entitlements at 70 but having checked with the DVLA I find I am still entitled to have BE.
Surprisingly, I am still entitled to drive the largest motor cycle available but I don't think I will take that opportunity up at my age.

James H

Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive? 3 years 9 months ago #410329

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 1463
Thanks Prof, I've made your post into a sticky so that it can easily be linked to. :)
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive? 3 years 9 months ago #410334

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow Steve I feel privileged Thank you. ;)

I am really impressed with the clarity they have brought to the subject, and I do hope it will prevent some of the mistakes we sometime read about.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive? 3 years 9 months ago #410339

• JonnyG
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
good site although it does make you think,why can it not be all straight forward. having said that i noticed an error of sorts under the driver cpc.... taking periodic training to keep your driver CPC.. it gives a cut off date of 10th September 2009.. to have so called acquired rights to a driver CPC, meaning anyone who passed their C class HGV licence after that day would also need to do 35 hours of class room studies prior to being given their C class.
this was actually put on hold, for how long i do not know but as i passed my C class test on the 17th of September
2009 and did no 35 hours of classroom studies but i was always going to be issued my licence,assuming i passed the driving test ,it does raise the issue that September 10th 2009 was originally the offical date, but it was
clearly changed to a later date..
A man is judged by his deeds, and not by his words.

Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive? 3 years 9 months ago #410340

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1102
JamesH, please can you point out for me where it shows about loosing the C1 C1E etc at age 70, I can see on the Gov Uk website that you have to reapply every 3 years,. Help please.
Hutch
Hutch,
Woosie King 2019 , Sir Were-Rabbit look at The Woosie Thread.
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive? 3 years 9 months ago #410352

• JamesH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
EH52ARH. Re your question. I phoned the DVLA at Swansea today.

James H

Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive? 3 years 9 months ago #410356

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1102
Thanks JamesH, well I have another 6 years to go. Dont really want to lose any entitlments. Even if I dont use them all. And now my youngest son has me on his insurance for his Triumph Street triple, awsome bike.
Hutch.
Hutch,
Woosie King 2019 , Sir Were-Rabbit look at The Woosie Thread.
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive? 3 years 9 months ago #410358

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
JonnyG wrote:
good site although it does make you think,why can it not be all straight forward. ....
The complexity arises from a combination of the trying to harmonise the licence systems of all EU members, and the legal precedence of grandfather rights, which means revisions to entitlements cannot be retrospective. This effectively means we are running three possibly four different sets of standards at the same time.

JonnyG wrote:
ays going to be issued my licence,assuming i passed the driving test ,it does raise the issue that September 10th 2009 was originally the offical date, but it was clearly changed to a later date..having said that i noticed an error of sorts under the driver cpc.... taking periodic training to keep your driver CPC.. it gives a cut off date of 10th September 2009.. to have so called acquired rights to a driver CPC, meaning anyone who passed their C class HGV licence after that day would also need to do 35 hours of class room studies prior to being given their C class.
this was actually put on hold, for how long i do not know but as i passed my C class test on the 17th of September
2009 and did no 35 hours of classroom studies but i was alw

I suggest if you have a query about its content you actually contact the company directly.

Driving Licence Entitlements, What Can YOU drive? 3 years 9 months ago #410360

• JonnyG
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
JamesH wrote:
I read the article via the link given and noted that it said if you passed your driving test pre 1997 you would automatically be entitled to drive cats. BE C1 C1E D1 and D1E. BUT you loose these entitlements at the age of 70.
Even more confusing is the fact that on the one hand you loose the above entitlements at 70 but having checked with the DVLA I find I am still entitled to have BE.
Surprisingly, I am still entitled to drive the largest motor cycle available but I don't think I will take that opportunity up at my age.
from what i can see you loose the entitlements that you didn't actually have to pass a test on.they come as a added bonus to you passing your car test. and getting your B, licence. same applies to a A licence you passed a test to ride a motorcycle so no restrictions on CC.
A man is judged by his deeds, and not by his words.

Most recent caravan reviews

Coachman Acadia 675 - That attractive, low profile look will be familiar to Coachman fans (© Practical Caravan)
Elddis Avanté 454 - The Avanté looks good with quality moulded front and rear panels (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Discovery D4-2 - The Discovery is a quirky looking tourer, with an awning that stretches right around to the rear (© Practical Caravan)
Sprite Super Quattro EB - The EB's curvaceous exterior, with three windows, a large sunroof and smart graphics, rather belies its entry-level price band (© Practical Caravan)