Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Tyre pressure sensors

Tyre pressure sensors 1 year 2 weeks ago #460987

  • Craigyoung
  • Craigyoung's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Posts: 3027
  • Thank you received: 686
So we've had the kuga a few years now & still love it , excellent car full off muscle , no problems at all no punctures nothing but yesterday as we unhitched and left the yard, the tyre pressure sensor message to check tyre pressures came on, all the same so reset the computer and away we went , it came on 10 minutes later so I reset it again last night , my wife has took car to work and it has not come on this morning ?!
Does anybody else have problems with these , are they prone to become faulty or is it just because I've left the caravan in the yard and going over some quite uneven ground ?
Got up this morning checked all tyres , same pressures and none flat !! :unsure:

Craig
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Craigyoung.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tyre pressure sensors 1 year 2 weeks ago #460989

  • Dodger524
  • Dodger524's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 367
  • Thank you received: 183
The sensors do have batteries in them which may struggle a bit as they age, especially at low temperatures. However it is unusual for them all to display a fault at the same time; I think this behaviour points towards a monitor problem.
Regards Dave
Volvo XC70 D5 auto towing a 2012 Lunar Clubman SB wandering.me.uk/
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

Tyre pressure sensors 1 year 2 weeks ago #460992

  • Craigyoung
  • Craigyoung's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Posts: 3027
  • Thank you received: 686
Dodger524 wrote:
The sensors do have batteries in them which may struggle a bit as they age, especially at low temperatures. However it is unusual for them all to display a fault at the same time; I think this behaviour points towards a monitor problem.

Cheers Dodger , batteries !?
Thought they were all electrical sensors ? How do i get to them ?
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tyre pressure sensors 1 year 2 weeks ago #460993

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6359
  • Thank you received: 1483
Craigyoung wrote:
So we've had the kuga a few years now & still love it , excellent car full off muscle , no problems at all no punctures nothing but yesterday as we unhitched and left the yard, the tyre pressure sensor message to check tyre pressures came on, all the same so reset the computer and away we went , it came on 10 minutes later so I reset it again last night , my wife has took car to work and it has not come on this morning ?!
Does anybody else have problems with these , are they prone to become faulty or is it just because I've left the caravan in the yard and going over some quite uneven ground ?
Got up this morning checked all tyres , same pressures and none flat !! :unsure:

Craig

My dash showed a warning twice over a couple of months during early spring when the roads were particularly badly surfaced. I checked each tyre and reset the TPMS. Since then I have had no further problems. Although as I am still travelling the Fosse to Leicester each week I do notice that the authorities have done a great deal of good work in resurfacing large tracts. It is once again a pleasant road to drive.

The battery life of TPMS sensors can range from 5-12 years, or 100000 miles depending on which website you visit. Batteries are non replaceable.
Subaru Forester XT 240 bhp, carrying two Springers and towing a Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tyre pressure sensors 1 year 2 weeks ago #460995

  • Dustydog
  • Dustydog's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 10911
  • Thank you received: 1205
Craig
This is worth a read www.counterman.com/the-leading-cause-of-tpms-failure/

Maybe Ford will replace the faulty one foc?
I assume when tested the tyre pressure is correct.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tyre pressure sensors 1 year 2 weeks ago #460996

  • Craigyoung
  • Craigyoung's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Posts: 3027
  • Thank you received: 686
Thank you both .
Read the article , we are due some tyres probably early next year before we go to France at least , the car is just over 3 years old but has only done 17ooo miles so the sensors shouldn't be that worn out as it's not exactly high mileaged .

If the light should dare :angry: to come back on , I will give Ford a ring.

Thank you
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tyre pressure sensors 1 year 2 weeks ago #460998

  • Raywood
  • Raywood's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 4475
  • Thank you received: 874
My sister in law had a problem with the sensors coming on after she replaced a flat tyre. She checked with the dealer who had to reset the computer which cured the problem. They said it happens sometimes after a flat tyre although not sure if this is relevant here.
Ray
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tyre pressure sensors 1 year 2 weeks ago #461000

  • Icaru5
  • Icaru5's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 403
  • Thank you received: 242
Are you sure tour car has tyre pressure sensors Craig ?

There are two different ways in which car tyre pressures are monitored.

The first, and most expensive is to have an individual pressure sensor in the valve of each tyre. If you have this type of system, you will be able to view the pressure for each individual tyre from the onboard computer. As one would expect, if any of the pressures are above, or below a certain threshold, then you will be alerted to the anomaly.

The second, and much more common method (although I haven’t checked fords preferred solution) doesn’t measure any pressures, but rather monitors the rotation of each wheel, taken from the ABS sensors. Once set, the car’s computer relates vehicle speed to wheel RPM, which, if all tyres are at the same pressure, will the same for each wheel. If there is a significant difference between the calculated (expected) wheel RPM for any of the 4 wheels, then this will trigger an alert. The system doesn’t act immediately to prevent false triggers such as wheelspin, pot-holes and of course turning around corners. Again, this system is now by far the most common, mainly because apart from the relevan software, it has no cost associated with it, as it is using mechanical and electrical components which are already in place.

If you’ve checked that all of your tyre pressures are OK, then other probable causes could be a dirty or faulty ABS sensor, or a heavy build up of dirt around whichever rortating part of your wheel/hub assembly is fitted with the castellations which the sensor counts as the wheel rotates.

Or it may just be that now the colder mornings are here, the system was previously reset with higher pressure values, i.e. when it was warmer. For this reason, such warnings are quite common at this time of year when it starts to get colder.

I would check and adjust the tyre pressures and then reset the monitoring system first thing in the morning, preferably on a cold one, as this is when the pressures will be at their lowest.

Let us know how you get on,

Ic.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Icaru5.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive, Dustydog, Craigyoung, Dodger524

Tyre pressure sensors 1 year 2 weeks ago #461002

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6359
  • Thank you received: 1483
Icaru5 wrote:
Are you sure tour car has tyre pressure sensors Craig ?

There are two different ways in which car tyre pressures are monitored.

The first, and most expensive is to have an individual pressure sensor in the valve of each tyre. If you have this type of system, you will be able to view the pressure for each individual tyre from the onboard computer. As one would expect, if any of the pressures are above, or below a certain threshold, then you will be alerted to the anomaly.

The second, and much more common method (although I haven’t checked fords preferred solution) doesn’t measure any pressures, but rather monitors the rotation of each wheel, taken from the ABS sensors. Once set, the car’s computer relates vehicle speed to wheel RPM, which, if all tyres are at the same pressure, will the same for each wheel. If there is a significant difference between the calculated (expected) wheel RPM for any of the 4 wheels, then this will trigger an alert. The system doesn’t act immediately to prevent false triggers such as wheelspin, pot-holes and of course turning around corners. Again, this system is now by far the most common, mainly because apart from the relevan software, it has no cost associated with it, as it is using mechanical and electrical components which are already in place.

If you’ve checked that all of your tyre pressures are OK, then other probable causes could be a dirty or faulty ABS sensor, or a heavy build up of dirt around whichever rortating part of your wheel/hub assembly is fitted with the castellations which the sensor counts as the wheel rotates.

Or it may just be that now the colder mornings are here, the system was previously reset with higher pressure values, i.e. when it was warmer. For this reason, such warnings are quite common at this time of year when it starts to get colder.

I would check and adjust the tyre pressures and then reset the monitoring system first thing in the morning, preferably on a cold one, as this is when the pressures will be at their lowest.

Let us know how you get on,

Ic.

Unlike my neighbours 2004 Peugot which has now had them removed due to the cost of replacing them. As they were not mandatory at that time it still passes MoT.
Subaru Forester XT 240 bhp, carrying two Springers and towing a Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tyre pressure sensors 1 year 2 weeks ago #461004

  • Craigyoung
  • Craigyoung's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Posts: 3027
  • Thank you received: 686
Lc , cheers for that as it happens when we set off from Teesside yesterday morning it was about 2 or 3 degrees above ( but proper frozen over first thing in the morning ) slight sun shining so it was quite cold, when we dropped the caravan off and I restarted the engine it had gone up to 13 degrees which isn't bad for November and that's when it came on , now I reset it again last night and it must have been dropping to about 2 or 3 degrees again with a touch of Frost hinting in the air and reset it then , it went off , my wife took the car to work this morning it was about 6 or 7 degrees , she's driven 4 mile to work and it has not come back on fingers crossed that was the problem as for having it on each individual wheel I haven't i think , it just comes on as an all in 1 sensor alert .

Thanks .
Will keep yous posted to see what happens
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Craigyoung.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Most recent caravan reviews

Coachman Acadia 675 - That attractive, low profile look will be familiar to Coachman fans (© Practical Caravan)
Elddis Avanté 454 - The Avanté looks good with quality moulded front and rear panels (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Discovery D4-2 - The Discovery is a quirky looking tourer, with an awning that stretches right around to the rear (© Practical Caravan)
Sprite Super Quattro EB - The EB's curvaceous exterior, with three windows, a large sunroof and smart graphics, rather belies its entry-level price band (© Practical Caravan)