Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Total Knee Replacements

Total Knee Replacements 8 months 2 weeks ago #465629

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1205
Does anyone on here caravan, erect an awning etc, post knee replacement?
Mine are knackered. I can still manage no problem on the whole but if I have the op is that the end of caravanning?
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Dustydog.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Total Knee Replacements 8 months 2 weeks ago #465632

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1655
Not personally, but I do know several people who have had knee replacements and manage to caravan with complaints ( about the knees anyway)
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Total Knee Replacements 8 months 2 weeks ago #465634

• Danddandy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
From family experience after a bit of physiotherapy you should be as mobile as you ever were but with no pain. .

Danddandy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dustydog

Total Knee Replacements 8 months 2 weeks ago #465636

• Grey13
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
Where there's a will there's a way. In my case after 3 serious surgeries (not knee related) I still manage. Albeit taking twice as long and dragging a low stool around to sit at each peg point! The benefits outweigh the pain!
Reborn caravanner !

Total Knee Replacements 8 months 2 weeks ago #465638

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 578
Does anyone on here caravan, erect an awning etc, post knee replacement?
Mine are knackered. I can still manage no problem on the whole but if I have the op is that the end of caravanning?

Not post but pre op :woohoo: . Like you both of mine are totally knackered and my god its painfull. I know lots that have had it done and caravan, so don't let that put you off. The biggest problem I have is that my back is also knackered and bending is very difficult. Putting the awning up is no problem for me, shorthouse that I am, but pegging means I have to get down to them.Keep getting up again to move to the next peg is excruciating, but its either that or crawl about on the floor, which just looks daft. This is partially why we have bought a Magnum porch, less pegs.

Anyhoo, you can't miss me on site, Im the one with a pint of Old Pec in one hand, and a bottle of Orimorph in t'other.
And another good reason for an auto box.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Thingy.

Total Knee Replacements 8 months 2 weeks ago #465639

• SeaDog
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I believe the problem after knee replacement is that of kneeling down. My sister in Law has had a knee replaced and has been told she is not to kneel on that replacement knee.
A small stool or a double step to sit on while hammering in the pegs might be the answer
Sailing close to the wind
With a Lunar Clubman SB and towed by a Discovery 4

Total Knee Replacements 8 months 2 weeks ago #465640

• Jaydug
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 132
Dustydog wrote:
if I have the op is that the end of caravanning? )

Being just a few months away from my 90th birthday, I'm happy to say both my knees are fine. However I like to spend four winter months in Spain in my caravan. Towing there is no problem however putting up and taking down my full awning on my own is an effort. Fortunately, some good mates give me a hand. The most reliable guy had both knees done just prior to him leaving home in mid-November. His bending and dog-walking ability didn't seem to bother him in the least.

Total Knee Replacements 8 months 2 weeks ago #465642

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1480
A friend of ours had a replacement knee and the change was unbelievable. She was back to cycling, walking and activities that she hadn’t done for a long while without a lot of pain. What she was like kneeling down I don’t know but she said that she couldn’t believe the transformation. However that didn’t last more than six months. Her husband was doing some decorating and meticulous bloke that he is, Dave covered the lounge floor with a dust sheet. Chris tripped over it and smashed the new knee. She was hospitalised for six weeks and even now some two years on she’s not at all confident the second new knee and uses a stick.

So Dusty as long as you keep caravaning and keep off DIY you should be absolutely fine.
Subaru Forester XT 240 bhp, carrying two Springers and towing a Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Total Knee Replacements 8 months 2 weeks ago #465643

• audiorob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 97
My wife had a single knee replacement in November 2017. Walking was nigh on impossible up to then, and she had developed a noticeable limp over the years before the replacement. Since then walking is almost pain free, although prolonged hard surfaces can be tiring, and the limp has all but disappeared. She continues to do exercises daily, after the physio ended, but has never gained the full 90 degree bend so steep stairs can be slow. As others have commented while you retain your original kneecap you are advised not to kneel and many find this painful. However we know of others who after the initial painful bit post-op who still climb ladders and have a cracking golf swing! It will take grit and determination on your behalf, but most likely to be well worth the obtained comfort and new-found mobility, and many years happy exploring in the caravan! The very best of luck to you!

Total Knee Replacements 8 months 2 weeks ago #465662

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 501
Hi Dusty D,

My wife has had knee rplacements in both knees (twice).

Been a godsend to her earlier mobility problems.

Have a chat with your consultant (who is likely to be the one carrying out the operation), I guess you will be pleasantly surprised as to what you can and cannot do post op.

I'm sure it will go well for you, and I know you will offer to give me a hand with hammering in my awning pegs on our future meets :P
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)

Most recent caravan reviews

Coachman Acadia 675 - That attractive, low profile look will be familiar to Coachman fans (© Practical Caravan)
Elddis Avanté 454 - The Avanté looks good with quality moulded front and rear panels (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Discovery D4-2 - The Discovery is a quirky looking tourer, with an awning that stretches right around to the rear (© Practical Caravan)
Sprite Super Quattro EB - The EB's curvaceous exterior, with three windows, a large sunroof and smart graphics, rather belies its entry-level price band (© Practical Caravan)