Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: what3words

what3words 4 months 3 weeks ago #466075

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1379
There’s a new system for mapping the world that subdivides it into 3x3m squares, each with a unique identifier comprised of three words. A recent news report described how a lady,s car left the road and couldn’t be seen from the road. The police used the “what3words” app to locate her exact position. She wouldn’t have been able to work out how to use Google maps or Apple maps to determine her longitude and latitude and for someone possibly in shock just saying three words that precisely define your location is a potential life saver.

Here’s a link to the BBC report

Three-unique-words 'map' used to rescue mother and child www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47705912
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

what3words 4 months 3 weeks ago #466081

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1038
Its been out a couple of years now, but you have to be very precise with the spelling.

If you enter //. Intro.nurture.universal. you get the blue Lias pub and caravan site.

Enter // . Intro. Nurture.universals. And you end up in The Labrador sea a couple of hundred miles off of Greenland.
The App is very good from Playstore.
Hutch, aka, that annoying toad.
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.sitting in storage.
Rural Milton Keynes

what3words 4 months 3 weeks ago #466082

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
EH52ARH wrote:
Its been out a couple of years now, but you have to be very precise with the spelling.

If you enter //. Intro.nurture.universal. you get the blue Lias pub and caravan site.

Enter // . Intro. Nurture.universals. And you end up in The Labrador sea a couple of hundred miles off of Greenland.
The App is very good from Playstore.[/quote

I think even the British police would question the location of your crash if you got it that wrong :-)
App is useful and it’s satellite view is more up to date than Google or Apple maps. I think the verbal exchange of the words are it’s strongest feature as you are more likely to be trying to talk to the emergency services. Assuming the phone is charged or has a signal but that works for all comms.

A number of car makes are now incorporating it into the cars accident response outputs.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by otherclive.

what3words 4 months 3 weeks ago #466083

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
You can be just as precise on Google maps, by using the Plus codes. Ie, on the map search type in 7JHF+76 and you will find a caravan pitch at the Blue Lias Caravan site, where as the pub in 7JHF+9J.

The plus code for a location can be found on the left hand side when you drop a pin mark on the map its the four little dots in a cross.

Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Rural Milton Keynes

what3words 4 months 3 weeks ago #466084

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
EH52ARH wrote:
You can be just as precise on Google maps, by using the Plus codes. Ie, on the map search type in 7JHF+76 and you will find a caravan pitch at the Blue Lias Caravan site, where as the pub in 7JHF+9J.

The plus code for a location can be found on the left hand side when you drop a pin mark on the map its the four little dots in a cross.

Yes but what3words doesn’t require you to know where you are in order to drop the pin. It immediately gives you your location

what3words 4 months 3 weeks ago #466086

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
EH52ARH wrote:

Yes but what3words doesn’t require you to know where you are in order to drop the pin. It immediately gives you your location

what3words 4 months 3 weeks ago #466102

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1553
I must admit I'm fascinated by maps and mapping, and the advent of Google Maps (other map systems are available) was a revelation to the mapping industry. I still love paper maps as well.

This thread was the first I'd heard of "What3words" and it's a fascinating project. Having looked at a few adjacent squares, there is no immediately obvious relationship in the word selections, so it's not something you could use instead of grid references on a paper map for planning orienteering routes, unless you have a computer loaded with the map data also.

I can see the advantage for the emergency services, as in difficult situations it's easier for most humans to remember three words rather than a long string of numbers and letters. It can also help if communications are poor.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

what3words 4 months 3 weeks ago #466103

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
ProfJohnL wrote:
I must admit I'm fascinated by maps and mapping, and the advent of Google Maps (other map systems are available) was a revelation to the mapping industry. I still love paper maps as well.

This thread was the first I'd heard of "What3words" and it's a fascinating project. Having looked at a few adjacent squares, there is no immediately obvious relationship in the word selections, so it's not something you could use instead of grid references on a paper map for planning orienteering routes, unless you have a computer loaded with the map data also.

I can see the advantage for the emergency services, as in difficult situations it's easier for most humans to remember three words rather than a long string of numbers and letters. It can also help if communications are poor.

Prof
I agree with your views on maps and when on holiday I will spend ages just looking at the OS, or foreign equivalent, map of the area as its so useful in planning days out , walks, and just giving an understanding of the area, which even OS loaded onto a phone doesn't give you.

What "what3words" will do is stop Dominos delvering to your neighbour :whistle:

what3words 4 months 3 weeks ago #466111

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
Or it can help deliver to the bottom of your garden if you wish. I suppose " delivery Drones" will be using it. The Application for Smart phones is very easy to use.
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Rural Milton Keynes

what3words 4 months 3 weeks ago #466127

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1553
I suppose Yodel could use it to tell you which (or whose) rubbish bin they've left your parcel in! :whistle:
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by ProfJohnL. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive, Craigyoung
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Hymer Nova 470GL - The Hymer Nova offers great build quality, meaning it's no lightweight van (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)