Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Driving Hands Free!

Driving Hands Free! 3 months 3 weeks ago #472710

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1205
Looks like new legislation is on the way banning the use of mobile phones, even hands free, whilst driving.
I hate the idea of this especially as most car manufacturers have installed hands free software for the last twenty years.
However I must admit back in the late nineties I was driving from Nottingham to Gloucester. So engrossed in a business call I missed the A42 exit . Only at Leicester Forest services did I realise where I was :(
Is this going to be a good or bad law or just another taxation on the car owner :whistle:
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Dustydog.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Driving Hands Free! 3 months 3 weeks ago #472711

• Guzzilazz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 83
Dustydog wrote:
Looks like new legislation is on the way banning the use of mobile phones, even hands free, whilst driving.
I hate the idea of this especially as most car manufacturers have installed hands free software for the last twenty years.
However I must admit back in the late nineties I was driving from Nottingham to Gloucester. So engrossed in a business call I missed the A42 exit . Only at Leicester Forest services did I realise where I was :(
Is this going to be a good or bad law or just another taxation on the car owner :whistle:

I don't altogether get the argument about hands free, as I don't see much difference between that and talking to passengers in the car. I have NO sympathy with the idiots with the phone in their hand - especially when they have a modern enough vehicle to have hands free!

Once this bit comes in, what about radios, music players etc...
Larry from N. Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera
Kuga 2.0 Titanium 150PS 2WD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung, pensioner

Driving Hands Free! 3 months 3 weeks ago #472712

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1484
Tests have shown conclusively that even hands free dialogue elicits a different approach from the driver as compared to talking to the passengers.

When I worked for RR in 2000 they supplied mobiles and hands free systems in the company car. But even then the T&C for ownership of the company car was that the phone should be off when driving and if there was a need to phone anyone the car must be stationary. Infringement would lead to loss of vehicle.

Anyway it’s not yet proposed legislation its the recommendation of s committee who have looked at the topic.
Subaru Forester XT 240 bhp, carrying two Springers and towing a Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by otherclive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Driving Hands Free! 3 months 3 weeks ago #472713

• Beehpee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
I assume by RR you mean the posh car manufacturers, they obviously hadn’t thought things through when they provided hands free and mobile phones in the company car, why bother supplying the hands free kit if you were not allowed to use it, a bit contradictory ?

BP
Beehpee, I live in Daventry, Northants. A caravanner and love it.
Sir Sticky.....

Driving Hands Free! 3 months 3 weeks ago #472719

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1660
Anything that takes the drivers mind away from driving is dangerous. Even before mobile phones, there have been plenty of incidents where a drivers attention was drawn to something other than driving, such as changing radio channels, dealing with children, talking or arguing with a passengers. seeing something at the road side.A momentary lapse of concentration and who knows what may happen.

Soon after mobile phones became available, I witnessed a very lucky escape for some school children at a bus stop when a driver mounted the pavement holding a mobile in their hand. I vowed I would never use a mobile whilst driving and I don't. If anyone calls me it rings and rings. No message service, because if the call is important they will try again. Call me a Luddite, but I grew up in a time when we didn't even have a home phone, and we managed really very well without having constant chats with everyone.

I will usually check my phone at the end of my journey, and if its a number i recognise I may call back.

Unlike interactions with passengers, phone conversations rely entirely on the verbal message, there are no visual clues either way and that I am convinced it takes more concentration as you have to organise words to express an emotion.

I have often thought that when a car is running it ought to block phone calls, but then that's not necessarily fair on passengers.

I was walking in a street the other day, when virtually everyone who passed by had a phone to their ear, I could hear some people quite clearly and they were just passing the time of day. chatting about what thy'd seen on Netflix the night before or the colour of their underwear and spreading gossip!
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Driving Hands Free! 3 months 3 weeks ago #472720

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Beehpee wrote:
I assume by RR you mean the posh car manufacturers, they obviously hadn’t thought things through when they provided hands free and mobile phones in the company car, why bother supplying the hands free kit if you were not allowed to use it, a bit contradictory ?

BP

No the maker of jet engines and nuclear reactors.
Having hands free wasn’t contradictory in the least as you could engage in a clear conversation and if required take notes on your laptop or a work pad on your lap. But all whilst stationary.
Subaru Forester XT 240 bhp, carrying two Springers and towing a Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Driving Hands Free! 3 months 3 weeks ago #472721

• Beehpee
  • Platinum Boarder
ROFLMAO Who would think of supplying a hands free kit to use while stationary, if you asked a thousand people what a hands free kit was for and answer would be to make and receive calls whilst driving, priceless.

BP
Sir Sticky.....

Driving Hands Free! 3 months 3 weeks ago #472722

• Dodger524
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 183
Tests have shown that the level of distraction when using a telephone is much higher than during a normal conversation. I'm sure that tests can be devised to demonstrate that a telephone call is a dangerous distraction that should be banned as soon as possible. It's effect on a driver is not dissimilar to being drunk.
Regards Dave
Volvo XC70 D5 auto towing a 2012 Lunar Clubman SB wandering.me.uk/
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive, ProfJohnL

Driving Hands Free! 3 months 3 weeks ago #472723

• Beehpee
  • Platinum Boarder
I totally agree that using a phone is a distraction, so is having children in the car, having the radio playing and changing a CD while driving, talking to a passenger in the car while driving is a distraction, so are loads of other things, so are we going to ban all these things due to us living in a nanny state where every action we take is dictated by politicians, it will make no difference what so ever if all mobile phone usage is banned totally in cars, let’s face it the police haven’t the resources to stop people using a phone held in their hand so how they will have a cats chance of being able to spot a person using a hands free kit, I drive around 35k miles annually and I could probably spot a dozen people daily with a phone held to their ear, when driving I probably see a police patrol car a couple of times a week but I’m sure the nanny state will continue to bring in more and more unenforceable restrictive laws so they can say how wonderful they are, god help us.

BP
Sir Sticky.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: pensioner

Driving Hands Free! 3 months 3 weeks ago #472726

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Beehpee wrote:
I totally agree that using a phone is a distraction, so is having children in the car, having the radio playing and changing a CD while driving, talking to a passenger in the car while driving is a distraction, so are loads of other things, so are we going to ban all these things due to us living in a nanny state where every action we take is dictated by politicians, it will make no difference what so ever if all mobile phone usage is banned totally in cars, let’s face it the police haven’t the resources to stop people using a phone held in their hand so how they will have a cats chance of being able to spot a person using a hands free kit, I drive around 35k miles annually and I could probably spot a dozen people daily with a phone held to their ear, when driving I probably see a police patrol car a couple of times a week but I’m sure the nanny state will continue to bring in more and more unenforceable restrictive laws so they can say how wonderful they are, god help us.

BP

Agreed that there are always other potential distractions inside the vehicle. Some the driver has the ability to control such as changing CD if you still use such antiquated pieces of plastic, or fiddling with MFD to see driving time or real time mpg etc. But whatever you may think it has been demonstrated that engaging in a phone call even hands free is dealt with differently by your brain compared to engaging in a conversation with a passenger. Which in itself can be a hazard if you are one who feels eye contact is required.

Nowadays whilst driving my phone is generally switched off. The last thing I need if overtaking or navigating somewhere unfamiliar is an incoming call which even though I wouldn’t answer it would be a distraction. Radios don’t do that, and even passengers tend to zip it when they can see the driver is otherwise engaged. You really don’t need police enforcement arguments to challenge a concept that should be common sense.

Most recent caravan reviews

Coachman Acadia 675 - That attractive, low profile look will be familiar to Coachman fans (© Practical Caravan)
Elddis Avanté 454 - The Avanté looks good with quality moulded front and rear panels (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Discovery D4-2 - The Discovery is a quirky looking tourer, with an awning that stretches right around to the rear (© Practical Caravan)
Sprite Super Quattro EB - The EB's curvaceous exterior, with three windows, a large sunroof and smart graphics, rather belies its entry-level price band (© Practical Caravan)