Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Route advice

Route advice 4 weeks 1 day ago #454577

• jallin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Hello
We are travelling down later this week from Hope Valley, Derbyshire to Pembrey Country Park South Wales. We are trying to decide which route to take - A483 or motorways M6, 5 etc. For those who have done similar trips what would you advise please and your reasons for your choice? Many thanks we have never towed this length of trip before and we have dogs with us so will need to stop periodically.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Route advice 4 weeks 1 day ago #454579

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 371
Google maps is looking at it as the M5 M6 M42 down towards the coast that way at about 5 hours but be careful when you leave Hope Valley as we were down there a few years ago and if you are using a normal car sat nav it may take you through some very thin country lanes which you don't want to be doing with the caravan on the back !
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?

Route advice 4 weeks 1 day ago #454581

• jallin
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Craig - we live in the valley so have come across some of those roads ha! Just can't decide between a motor way route or the A roads?

Route advice 4 weeks 1 day ago #454584

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 371
We were at castleton 5 year ago for the week , loved the area . Quickest route for us with the kids , no back roads . I go the way the caravan sat nav tells me to go ! It's actually set to to quickest and safest route for our outfit
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?
Last Edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by Craigyoung.

Route advice 4 weeks 1 day ago #454585

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 713
M42,M5 M4 would be the easiest towing route but of course any accidents and the motorway sytem comes to a halt. A less fragile route would be leave M5 at Strensham and take M50. The south from Monmouth to Abergavenny. Then take Heads of Valkeys road past Merthyr Tydfil and rejoin M4 near Swansea. You are then only a few miles from Pembrey. That route is a little longer in time but has the advantage of numerous diversion options should there be motorway hold ups around Bristol. It also misses the notorious Brynglas tunnels at Newport. We take it when travelling from the Midlands to our son in South Wales.
The other option is leave very early and have your ISTAR sensors on. IE satnav DAB and TP, phone traffic etc and be wise to diversion options. :-)
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dustydog

Route advice 4 weeks 1 day ago #454587

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 830
otherclive wrote:
M42,M5 M4 would be the easiest towing route but of course any accidents and the motorway sytem comes to a halt. A less fragile route would be leave M5 at Strensham and take M50. The south from Monmouth to Abergavenny. Then take Heads of Valkeys road past Merthyr Tydfil and rejoin M4 near Swansea. You are then only a few miles from Pembrey. That route is a little longer in time but has the advantage of numerous diversion options should there be motorway hold ups around Bristol. It also misses the notorious Brynglas tunnels at Newport. We take it when travelling from the Midlands to our son in South Wales.
The other option is leave very early and have your ISTAR sensors on. IE satnav DAB and TP, phone traffic etc and be wise to diversion options. :-)
This is the best and easiest route missing out the Bristol area bottlenecks. Do a Clive :cheer:
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Route advice 4 weeks 1 day ago #454591

• jallin
  • Expert Boarder
Cheers! I lived in Bristol for 11 years and so remember those bottlenecks well - a 10 min journey could take 1 hr easily :(
Last Edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by jallin.

Route advice 4 weeks 1 day ago #454598

• Icaru5
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
I take the A483 regularly, in fact every time I travel to South Wales as it’s a refreshing change from the usual motorway slog (in this case, M6, M5, M4). However, I would not take that route when towing the van.

Due the twisties, short climbs and at times, narrow roads, I think what is usually a rather enjoyable drive would be unnecessarily taxing, not to mention the burden to other non-towing road users.
Last Edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by Icaru5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH

Route advice 4 weeks 18 hours ago #454614

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 713
Icaru5 wrote:
I take the A483 regularly, in fact every time I travel to South Wales as it’s a refreshing change from the usual motorway slog (in this case, M6, M5, M4). However, I would not take that route when towing the van.

Due the twisties, short climbs and at times, narrow roads, I think what is usually a rather enjoyable drive would be unnecessarily taxing, not to mention the burden to other non-towing road users.

I think you have got your road numbers confused. The Heads of the Valleys is not the A483. It is a much improved main trunk route the A465.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Route advice 3 weeks 3 days ago #454820

• Mel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • member of the Woosie Club
  • Thank you received: 324
Our regular trip from the east mids to relatives in Wales always took us down the M50 as Clive recommends. I would agree that it is the way to go. Pembray is lovely, at least it was when we last went, which I now realise (with horror) was 10years ago. :unsure: Have a good trip.
Mel
Lady Mel

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back.....
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 640 - The Bailey Phoenix 640 is a great starter van for comfort-seeking couples (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Adora Sava 623 DT - For 2019, Adria introduces a brand new model, the 5-berth twin-axle Adora Sava (© Practical Motorhome)
The Unicorn Vigo has had a facelift - The fourth generation of the Vigo has a revamped look to the front of the van (© Practical Caravan)
Osprey 866 exterior - The Elddis Osprey 866 dealer special edition has unique decals down its GRP sides (© Practical Caravan/Andrew Jenkinson)