• Page:

TOPIC: Caravan exterior cleaning products & technique

Caravan exterior cleaning products & technique 4 months 2 days ago #448754

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 368
HNB ,
I'll take your word for it !! But I will not be going on my hands knees on my roof !!
2o16 Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Caravan exterior cleaning products & technique 4 months 2 days ago #448755

• HNB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Each to their own i guess. Last caravan i wouldnt of tho.

Caravan exterior cleaning products & technique 4 months 2 days ago #448763

• CustardAvenger
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
I'm 6'3 and the wrong side of 20 stone... I shan't be going onto the roof!
Paul
Volvo XC60 D4 AWD & Swift Sprite Major 4SB

Caravan exterior cleaning products & technique 4 months 2 days ago #448767

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 368
CustardAvenger wrote:
I'm 6'3 and the wrong side of 20 stone... I shan't be going onto the roof!

Ha ha ! I would go for the inside step ladder technique with your height !!
2o16 Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?

Caravan exterior cleaning products & technique 4 months 2 days ago #448769

• CustardAvenger
  • Gold Boarder
I could probably get away with just the door step! My head hits the plastic surround of the front roof vent.
Paul

Caravan exterior cleaning products & technique 4 months 23 hours ago #448879

• pensioner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I use a similar technique to "Thingy" except that I have a sheet of alloy about 15 inches square; with 2 inch thick sponge glued to one side, a couple of holes bored through it and then it is hung from the top of the ladder on the caravan side, so if it does wobble and lean into the van, the sponge protects it.
Works well for me,,and I'm lucky enough, as it's small van to be able to get the ladder inside,open the sun roof and get up the ladder to wash and polish the parts I can't reach from the outside.
Last Edit: 4 months 23 hours ago by pensioner. Reason: added info

Caravan exterior cleaning products & technique 4 months 23 hours ago #448880

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 711
The area that I find most difficult is the caravans front panel. It is grp and unlike the rear ABS panel it weathers into a matt appearance, and even at 6ft 4in it’s difficult to access. I have not really come up with a means of really being able to polish it as the front of the caravan curves right up to the roof line. A combination of step ladder used in A-mode, or as a ladder with foam pads against the caravan side makes getting effective access to the central highest section very difficult. As such that area doesn’t get a decent polish. The van is somewhat grubby after its recent trips out so I will be looking at a better way to do the front grp panel.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 4 months 23 hours ago by otherclive.

Caravan exterior cleaning products & technique 4 months 3 hours ago #448905

• CustardAvenger
  • Gold Boarder
otherclive wrote:
The area that I find most difficult is the caravans front panel. It is grp and unlike the rear ABS panel it weathers into a matt appearance, and even at 6ft 4in it’s difficult to access. I have not really come up with a means of really being able to polish it as the front of the caravan curves right up to the roof line. A combination of step ladder used in A-mode, or as a ladder with foam pads against the caravan side makes getting effective access to the central highest section very difficult. As such that area doesn’t get a decent polish. The van is somewhat grubby after its recent trips out so I will be looking at a better way to do the front grp panel.

Perhaps that's part of the reason Swift applies a black decal to that area on their entire range now, as it is difficult to reach without access platforms.
Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 640 - The Bailey Phoenix 640 is a great starter van for comfort-seeking couples (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Adora Sava 623 DT - For 2019, Adria introduces a brand new model, the 5-berth twin-axle Adora Sava (© Practical Motorhome)
The Unicorn Vigo has had a facelift - The fourth generation of the Vigo has a revamped look to the front of the van (© Practical Caravan)
Osprey 866 exterior - The Elddis Osprey 866 dealer special edition has unique decals down its GRP sides (© Practical Caravan/Andrew Jenkinson)