Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: What is the attraction of an Airstream?

What is the attraction of an Airstream? 2 months 2 weeks ago #440005

• GD485
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
I can see it’s a great bit of PR for Swift group and it will get potential customers on the forecourt but there will be some customers for the Airstream. I have problems in why will a few buy one. Surely people aren’t just motivated by Shiny bodywork?
If that’s true I’ll have to get the Brillo pads out on the Coachman when I get to p/x it. I try anything to bump up the price:-)
Towing is more Brains than horsepower
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What is the attraction of an Airstream? 2 months 2 weeks ago #440006

• Martin24
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 402
Exactly what is so wrong with UK design? Yes there are a huge amount of quality and reliability issues but if they're so very ugly people wouldn't buy them. If they were impracticable in the application of normal every day use people wouldn't buy them. I actually think the designs and exterior appearance have stayed the same for so long because the majority of purchasers like the look of a particular van and are comfortable with the design. Most layouts available today are the ones people want, enjoy and make the most of a very limited space.

If we look at Fleetwood for example, they dared to be different with what I myself liked both inside and out. Did these models sell? No they didn't the company regretfully folded. For a UK caravan manufacturer they were bold they were different but caravan buyers on the whole don't want bold different stand out design we prefer comfortable designs that are understated and low key.
2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Turin towed by 2017 DFW WAV converted 316 Sprinter

Sir Outnumbered BAR WC (4:1) WEI dragging along Lady Therapy

What is the attraction of an Airstream? 2 months 2 weeks ago #440010

• tuffty
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Well like you say most people want reliablity, functionality and practicality out of a caravan - I know I do. That and no other choice is why they buy the vans which are out there. Your average white box is not really aesthetically pleasing though. Much as I love mine and what it allows me to do, I do think it's a bit of an eyesore.

There doesn't seem to be much alternative out there though. I've not heard of the other manufacturer you mention but if I could buy something that looked like an Airstream but was well built and comparatively priced to UK vans, I would in a heartbeat.

But then I'm probably the wrong person to answer as Mrs Tuffty is an American, I married her and imported her to the UK based mostly on good looks so I'm obviously pretty shallow :P
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by tuffty.

What is the attraction of an Airstream? 2 months 2 weeks ago #440011

• GD485
  • Expert Boarder
Caravans in this country suit the use and users needs.

I don’t personally find the Airstream body design appealing. The segmented sheet metal work used to form the curves and the SS Great Britain riveting adds nothing to the looks.
I also have doubts about the aerodynamic claims made for the body shape. It maybe more aerodynamic than a square box but most modern European style caravans have made attempts to reduce drag.

What is the attraction of an Airstream? 2 months 2 weeks ago #440014

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 145
So the airsream is distinctive with being the colour it is and all of the rivets on show , imagine what it would look like the same shape same material but white , :ohmy: maybe not the same material but the alutec stuff that we have got ours or was that me just sounding stupid , could a British builder not build a caravan to the airstream body shape and have that kind of spec & market ? Imagine it white - or maybe not ? ! ? ! :blush:
Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone)!?

What is the attraction of an Airstream? 2 months 2 weeks ago #440016

• GD485
  • Expert Boarder
Craig
You’ve nailed it!
Just think if it was black, all those ripples and riveting!
Most U.K. caravans would still sell in other colours although at greatly reduced numbers. It’s been tried but not too successful.
So, the attraction of an Airstream is less than skin deep!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

What is the attraction of an Airstream? 2 months 2 weeks ago #440018

• Martin24
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 402
Plenty of 80's vans were different colours and quite successful. Elddis kept the green theme for many years, ABI the blue theme. Now of course the Explore group still have coloured sides on some models.
2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Turin towed by 2017 DFW WAV converted 316 Sprinter

Sir Outnumbered BAR WC (4:1) WEI dragging along Lady Therapy

What is the attraction of an Airstream? 2 months 2 weeks ago #440027

• Mikek777
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Well Andrew Ditton has one and that's good enough for me, where did I leave my 80K????

What is the attraction of an Airstream? 2 months 2 weeks ago #440030

• camel
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Brit built caravans will not last two minutes out in the States, US trailer pullers, well they tend to go in to places that we would not dream of going in to , just look at the construction of a US made trailer , corrugated construction, big running gear,

What is the attraction of an Airstream? 2 months 2 weeks ago #440036

• Mogwyth
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
tuffty wrote:
I
Must be the same reason Ford now import the Mustang into the UK. Hardly anybody in the UK is going to spend almost £40k on a 5.0 litre V8 that manages sub-20mpg, scores incredibly poorly in Euro NCAP tests and won't fit in most supermarket car parks. .

Same width as my discovery and as long as other drivers park centrally in thier bay, i have never had any parking issues and there are cheaper more economical ones 2.3 does 30+ and is still manages sub 6sec 0-60.
Discovery 3 4,4 V8 :cheer: followed by a Swift Charisma 610

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 570/4

£16,499

The Practical Caravan Venus 570/4 review – 1 - Tweaked for 2018, the Venus 570/4 is priced from £16,499 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on