Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Little green tool

Little green tool 5 months 1 week ago #462536

• FrintonMike
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Just back from a week at the East of England show ground in Peterborough after helping at a Championship dog show.
Went to hook up but the plugs would not connect. The pins had moved. No problem I though just get out the little green tool and turn the pins, then remembered the wife made me leave the main tool kit at home as she says I take everything bar the kitchen sink.
Still about a dozen caravans left on site so I asked around and got funny looks as no one knew what I was talking about. Then I struck it lucky as a friend knew exactly what I was talking about and had the little green tool. So by trial and error, in the dark, managed to reline the pins.
The motto is keep the little green tool in the van not the tool kit.
As the fault is a known fault have the manufacturers fixed it on new caravans?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Little green tool 5 months 1 week ago #462537

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1232
FrintonMike wrote:
Just back from a week at the East of England show ground in Peterborough after helping at a Championship dog show.
Went to hook up but the plugs would not connect. The pins had moved. No problem I though just get out the little green tool and turn the pins, then remembered the wife made me leave the main tool kit at home as she says I take everything bar the kitchen sink.
Still about a dozen caravans left on site so I asked around and got funny looks as no one knew what I was talking about. Then I struck it lucky as a friend knew exactly what I was talking about and had the little green tool. So by trial and error, in the dark, managed to reline the pins.
The motto is keep the little green tool in the van not the tool kit.
As the fault is a known fault have the manufacturers fixed it on new caravans?

As my towbar fitting removed the cars cross member (and it’s towing hole) I need to keep my towball in the car to aid a rear recovery. So the green tool stays in the towball bag in the rear of the car. The Powertouch spare key stays there too.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Little green tool 5 months 1 week ago #462540

• DaveA1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 85
I have a tupperware box, in the van, that holds the spare thing-a-mi-jigs and the little green tool qualifies for a space in there.
Regards Dave A

Vauxhall Insignia Eilite 163 Sport Tourer CDTI Auto
Swift Challenger Sport 442 2012

Little green tool 5 months 1 week ago #462542

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 616
Not that I've needed it for ages but ours stops in the glove box , and the spare keys to the caravan are permanently where my jack and spare wheel are .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Little green tool 5 months 1 week ago #462543

• jamestaylor18
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Mines attached to my motor mover remote! I must admit I have not had to use it yet tho and had my new caravan since July.
James
Kia Ceed SW auto towing Sprite Alpine (2012)

Little green tool 5 months 1 week ago #462547

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 616
jamestaylor18 wrote:
Mines attached to my motor mover remote! I must admit I have not had to use it yet tho and had my new caravan since July.

I've only used mine once or twice about 5 years ago when we had our Bailey Orion and 13 pin socket was a push in socket not a twist like what is on our new one like yours , hopefully will never need to use it again , but is always handy if someone else needs it . :)
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Craigyoung.

Little green tool 5 months 1 week ago #462554

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 721
We have it in the boot. I had read about them before we got a caravan with the thirteen pin plug so bought one when we got the caravan. The cost was less than a pound so no problem on cost. The only time we used it was the first time with a new car when we had disconnected the convertor we had used before. The plug baffled us initially as uncoupling the convertor had moved the pins, but another caravan owner kindly helped and we were on our way fairly quickly.
It is an essential bit of gear though, so if you have the thirteen pin plugs you do need it, although you can borrow mine if you are next to me. Sods law says though that if you need one you will be on the only site where no one else has one.
Ray

Little green tool 5 months 1 week ago #462559

• CustardAvenger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 177
*13 Pin Plug Alignment Tool B)

Mine is blue... and came with the caravan. I seemingly need to use it every time I hitch up. The locating notch always seems to have rotated after a period of storage.

I have a 13 to 7 pin adapter for my old caravans 12N plug. Never had an issue with that being misaligned.
Paul
Volvo XC60 D4 AWD & Swift Sprite Major 4SB
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by CustardAvenger.

Little green tool 5 months 1 week ago #462563

• Grey13
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 150
I fail to see the need for a little green tool. My plug is a twist one and if for any reason the thing turns out of alignment I just hold the cable and turn the sheath to the right position. The cable is rigid with the pin section. The case turns.
Reborn caravanner !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung, Dodger524

Little green tool 5 months 1 week ago #462564

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 440
Grey13 wrote:
I fail to see the need for a little green tool. My plug is a twist one and if for any reason the thing turns out of alignment I just hold the cable and turn the sheath to the right position. The cable is rigid with the pin section. The case turns.

I have a little green tool :blink: .

But that is very handy to know Grey.

Cheers.

BTW, would you be up for a spring Woosie meet? Perhaps we could petition the King if we have a few indications of interest. Think we have at least 3 at the moment.
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grey13

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Unicorn Merida - The Unicorn range has expanded with the reintroduced rear-washroom floorplan of the Merida (© Practical Caravan)
Caravelair Antarès 406 - The Caravelair Antarés 406 has a revamped exterior with bolder graphics; it looks smart. Plus, there's an exterior mains socket and barbecue and shower points are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)
Explore 304SE - Comfortable L-shaped lounge benefits from elegant colour scheme and high-quality finish (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 580 - Apart from the neat silver roundel placed on the front nearside corner to mark 100 years of Eccles caravans, this exterior looks much like any other Swift model, with a black front panel and understated decals (© Practical Caravan)