Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pneumatic jockey tyre

Pneumatic jockey tyre 1 week 4 days ago #472589

• ReverendJT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading my standard plastic jockey wheel with a pneumatic tyre, as on soft grass it creates a trench (100 kg nose weight) .

Does anyone know if I will be a able to use the existing jockey pole (standard alko) or would I need to buy the whole thing?

ReverendJT
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pneumatic jockey tyre 1 week 4 days ago #472590

• camel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 82
In my case I had a split pin on the jockey wheel axle , just remove the split pin and swo over the wheels,

Pneumatic jockey tyre 1 week 4 days ago #472592

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1142
A pneumatic tyre has its problems. They puncture , deflate. Tried it once and binned it. You can buy wider solid rubber wheels . They do the job perfectly imo.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive, JTQ

Pneumatic jockey tyre 1 week 4 days ago #472594

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1037
I think you can buy solid but soft rubber jockey wheels, i think Gafferbill has one.
Hutch, aka, that annoying toad.
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.sitting in storage.
Rural Milton Keynes

Pneumatic jockey tyre 1 week 4 days ago #472597

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 839
Measure the distance between the arms that hold the wheel and compare to what you are looking for.

For very slight increase in width of arms they can be bent outwards a little, otherwise it means a new assembly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Pneumatic jockey tyre 1 week 4 days ago #472604

• ReverendJT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Thank you for all of the advice. I'll make sure I measure.

I take the point about punctures but I'm not so sure about the soft wider ones either as my non-soft current one has only been used a handful of times and is getting badly chipped. I think it's the noise weight and motor mover over gravel that's doing it - I didn't have the issue with my old single axle.

How about a halfway house of a puncture proof normal tyre type?

Pneumatic jockey tyre 1 week 4 days ago #472627

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 839
The problem is that they do not make, as far as I know, a tubeless tyre that small and I do not know of any of the wheel rims for that size tyre that do not have a hole for an inner tube connector.

Most of the time a pneumatic jockey wheel fails is that the tyre pressure has dropped and the tyre rotates around the rim, dragging the tube with it and tearing the tube, usually where the inflator is attached to the tube.

You only have a very small amount of air in those wheels so any drop is critical.

I guess the only way to minimise the problem is to check the tyre pressure before every use and ensure it is fully inflated.

Pneumatic jockey tyre 1 week 3 days ago #472636

• Gafferbill
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep active be happy and stay safe
  • Thank you received: 524
ReverendJT wrote:
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading my standard plastic jockey wheel with a pneumatic tyre, as on soft grass it creates a trench (100 kg nose weight) .

ReverendJT

.............your noseweight value is under your control.

Presumably your problem only happens when you are using a mover on a soft surface.
In those circumstances, put some weight behind your caravan's axle(s) and temporarily lower the noseweight ..... for instance a family member could sit on a rear fixed bed if you have that layout.
(Sir) Baldrick WC......I have a cunning plan!
  GB West Sussex

Pneumatic jockey tyre 1 week 3 days ago #472638

• Dodger524
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 161
I too have found the furrow plowing capabilities of the standard jockey irritating.

I've had to change our jockey wheel unit to one with a wider yoke able to accommodate a wider pneumatic tyre.

I use a Maypole Mp229 plastic wheel and tyre, which costs about £9.

I works much better than the standard wheel.
Regards Dave
Volvo XC70 D5 auto towing a 2012 Lunar Clubman SB wandering.me.uk/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Parksy

Pneumatic jockey tyre 1 week 3 days ago #472639

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1379
Gafferbill wrote:
ReverendJT wrote:
Hello,

ReverendJT

.............your noseweight value is under your control.

Presumably your problem only happens when you are using a mover on a soft surface.
In those circumstances, put some weight behind your caravan's axle(s) and temporarily lower the noseweight ..... for instance a family member could sit on a rear fixed bed if you have that layout.

I use that trick to offload noseweight when extracting the van from muddy pitches using just the mover. My noseweight is around 75 kg and Mrs OC doesn’t have to go very far back from the axle.

Dive dive :-)
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Hymer Nova 470GL - The Hymer Nova offers great build quality, meaning it's no lightweight van (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)