Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Air awnings.

Air awnings. 2 weeks 4 days ago #473760

• Dazzzzbo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi all.

Just wondering what people’s take are on air awnings. I can see the massive advantage of weight but are they just as strong or should I say strong enough. I’ve seen some Kampa ones that look excellent and will be in the market for a new awning next year.

Cheers
Last Edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by Dazzzzbo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Air awnings. 2 weeks 4 days ago #473764

• Mel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • member of the Woosie Club
  • Thank you received: 535
Oh Dazzzzbo, you are opening a can of worms. There are now more arguments about whether poled Is better than air, than when actually putting the beast up. Dan Trudgian recent video and the generated comments being a case in point.
I can only say that I have had nothing but good experiences of my Kampa Rally Air which we have had for 7 years and is well used. It has withstood really strong winds and never leaked. Similarly good but less tested is our Vango Rapide Air.
The disadvantage with air awnings is that they are generally hard to pull through the awning channel as you are pulling the weight of the air beams as well as the canvas.
Some folks report all sorts of issues with leaking Air beams and leaking canvas. I can only say, it has not been a problem for us.
Not sure that they are necessarily quicker to put up than a poled awning ( after you are well practised with the poles) but imho they are more straightforward.
We do have a full poled Walker awning which we use sometimes and is great, but the Kampa is our go to awning most of the time.
Mel
Lady Mel

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back.....
Last Edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by Mel. Reason: Spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dustydog, Dazzzzbo

Air awnings. 2 weeks 3 days ago #473780

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1401
I still prefer a poled awning. One reason being that I can spread the weight of awning and poles around more flexibly.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dazzzzbo

Air awnings. 2 weeks 3 days ago #473783

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 678
Short & sweet , but poled awning for me to !
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Air awnings. 2 weeks 3 days ago #473784

• Clifford_374377114
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
We have had a Vango air which is easy to put up. Slightly more weight to pull through the channel but heavy to carry as canvas and 'poles' are all together.
Cliff

Air awnings. 2 weeks 3 days ago #473792

• SeaDog
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I agree with all that has been said, over the years we have had about five full sized poled awnings, three porch poled an then we purchased a Kampa 400 Ace with poles. We found that this model pooled water on the roof so returned it and are now on a Ace Air 400. It is heavy pulling the awning through the channel but a bit of furniture polish on a rag, pulled through certainly helps.
We remove the sides which takes some weight off, but once through it takes the same amount of time to peg it down.
We had a pole explode whilst on a CL, I contacted Kampa and they delivered a replacement to the CL the next day.
All in we are pleased and while I can still pull it through the channel we will continue, the hardest part is getting it out the car and placing it near the caravan. Hope this helps.
Sailing close to the wind
With a Lunar Clubman SB and towed by a Discovery 4

Air awnings. 2 weeks 3 days ago #473794

• JTQ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 96
Dazzzzbo wrote:
Hi all.

Just wondering what people’s take are on air awnings. I can see the massive advantage of weight but are they just as strong or should I say strong enough. I’ve seen some Kampa ones that look excellent and will be in the market for a new awning next year.

Cheers

I am not understanding the claim of massive weight saving?

If a light duty poled awning or a light duty air awning are compared they will be way lighter than a heavy duty canvass air or poled awning, which is little surprise.
There are some very light flexi glass fibre rod poled awnings out there and there are some very heavy steel poled awnings, then again there are some light pole sets made of carbon fibre reinforced tubes. Being air or poled the weight choice is wide, weight saving is not the territory of one technology.

Where weight is a direct issue is with all the air ones I have seen the weight of the bladders or at least the rafter bladders is built into the canvass, so like for like canvass weight used, the air type version is that much heaving to feed through the rail.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by JTQ.

Air awnings. 2 weeks 3 days ago #473795

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1177
Apologies to Mel but my Kampa Rallye Air is in the loft, been there four years now with one punctured leg and spares! It is very heavy to pull through the awning, suffers condensation even with the extra roof lining.
My carbon x Isabella poled unit has never ever let me down, is pretty easy to erect, I do it myself, and has withstood some very severe weather.
I too am a pole man :)
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

Air awnings. 2 weeks 3 days ago #473801

• mogarage
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Not sure this will help, but we bought a Kampa Air Expert (I think that's right) to replace our Isabella Magnum - mainly because I have very poor co-ordination and didn't want to ding the caravan side any more when I lose control of a pole! Not having the heart to get rid of the Isabella (fantastic quality and has weathered some severe storms with no issues) it found a spot in the garage to retire to. Fast forward to this year - new van, GRP sides, less prone to "dings", we took the Isabella out for an airing - so that we could decide if we were going to keep it. Up it went no problem - so now, should we get rid of the Kampa? Next outing came with the Kampa in the boot. Yes it's heavy, but I use an awning pulley to get it in the rail (I've replaced the rubbish cord with decent para chord). So up it went, no problems - and no decision to get rid of either. In summary, we like them both - and are keeping them both.

Air awnings. 2 weeks 3 days ago #473802

• Kevin2306
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
Isabella Minor with carbon x poles for me. Just loaded it in the car actually and pretty light per bag to be honest. Easy to erect and with correct pegging and a suitable storm strap, faces all the weather I’ve encountered.
We did have a Kampa fiesta air pro, it’s was heavy, bulky and always looked scruffy, never could peg it down correctly.

Kev
2019 Audi Q5
Towing 2017 Swift Corniche 15/2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dustydog

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Pegasus Rimini - The new Pegasus is now 8ft wide, but its profile remains pretty much the same, except for smart new graphics (© Practical Caravan)