Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Fridge light not working

Fridge light not working 5 months 5 days ago #463710

• nicoll70
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi I have a Thetford N97 fridge, and the light has stoped working. I have checked the bulb and it works fine. I've been told that it is likely to be the reed switch? Is this a straightforward job? That I could do. Any tips would be very much appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fridge light not working 5 months 5 days ago #463711

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1291
It’s quite a common problem. I’ve lived with it not working as the fridge isn’t that large and it’s easy to find stuff in it.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Fridge light not working 5 months 5 days ago #463714

• nicoll70
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi
I was hopping that I could repair it rather than make do.

Fridge light not working 5 months 5 days ago #463715

• Niall_McIntosh
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
I found the following on Caravan Chronicles: caravanchronicles.files.wordpress.com/20...air-instructions.pdf
Just over half way through there are some instructions to replace a reed switch, not for the model you have, but for a N180, I don't know if this may be of help to you?
Bailey Unicorn Vigo, Volvo XC60 D5

Fridge light not working 5 months 5 days ago #463716

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1291
Niall_McIntosh wrote:
I found the following on Caravan Chronicles: caravanchronicles.files.wordpress.com/20...air-instructions.pdf
Just over half way through there are some instructions to replace a reed switch, not for the model you have, but for a N180, I don't know if this may be of help to you?

Thank you. That’s a useful link which whilst not directly the same as my fridge is 90% commonality. I came across a YouTube video where the chap was going to replace the reed switch but when he eventually realised it would mean removing the fridge and disconnecting the gas pipework he came to the same conclusion as me. The fridge isn’t that large and a light is a nice to have.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 5 months 5 days ago by otherclive.

Fridge light not working 5 months 5 days ago #463717

• Niall_McIntosh
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Yes, I did notice that some of the photos showed the 'fridge removed from its location but, as I am not familiar with this model, I did not know how big a job this would be.

I have just noticed that it also says "This needs to be done by a qualified competent gas engineer." Which almost certainly takes it out of the remit of most DIYers.
Bailey Unicorn Vigo, Volvo XC60 D5
Last Edit: 5 months 5 days ago by Niall_McIntosh. Reason: Add more information.

Fridge light not working 5 months 4 days ago #463728

• nicoll70
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi thanks for that, as it happens I am a gas engineer, so I wasn't to worried about that bit, it's more the location of said switch and the part needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH

Fridge light not working 5 months 4 days ago #463733

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1497
For your information, a NG gas certificate does not cover an engineer or fitter for working on domestic LPG appliances and installations. It is a separate accreditation.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Most recent caravan reviews

Swift Cruach Culmor - Built on an Al-Ko chassis, the Culmor has an AKS hitch lock but no ATC anti-snaking. Alloys are standard - as are chic graphics (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Unicorn Merida - The Unicorn range has expanded with the reintroduced rear-washroom floorplan of the Merida (© Practical Caravan)
Caravelair Antarès 406 - The Caravelair Antarés 406 has a revamped exterior with bolder graphics; it looks smart. Plus, there's an exterior mains socket and barbecue and shower points are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)
Explore 304SE - Comfortable L-shaped lounge benefits from elegant colour scheme and high-quality finish (© Practical Caravan)