Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now?

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 3 months 1 week ago #435391

• DrZhivago
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
colin-yorkshire wrote:
... if I cannot post a item direct to the server interface [on a forum post] I don't bother. I never liked the idea of someone having my photos on their site then deciding I had to pay to see them. or use them elsewhere.
I have no objection to a straightforward deal with a professionally oriented web hosting company - ie not the likes of the free offerings of Photobucket, Google, Amazon, or Microsoft Azure, etc, none of whom I trust. You can get several Gb of space from around £2.50 pcm from LCN or 1&1 just for examples, and from many other small companies. You dont have to create a web site with them, you can just use them to place pictures and link to them. Much cheaper than Photobucket are becoming.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 3 months 1 week ago #435392

• Mogwyth
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Indeed Colin, and some services have just ceased with a consequentially loss of pictures, with the low cost of server storage and bandwidth I fail to understand why any commercial site won't allow uploads (even if size limited) and expects a third party to pick up the hosting bill for images displayed on their site.
Discovery 3 4,4 V8 :cheer: followed by a Swift Charisma 610

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 3 months 1 week ago #435395

• colin-yorkshire
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 210
Mogwyth wrote:
Indeed Colin, and some services have just ceased with a consequentially loss of pictures, with the low cost of server storage and bandwidth I fail to understand why any commercial site won't allow uploads (even if size limited) and expects a third party to pick up the hosting bill for images displayed on their site.

my point exactly. in most cases the site server has Terabytes of spare capacity photos and document attachments of less than say 300kb could be stored easily if needed.
sometimes a photo or drawing explains something that a thousand words cannot but if you want to post one and have to go through a 3rd party to get it up rather defeats the process.somewhat.

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 3 months 1 week ago #435404

• TheTravellingRooster
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi to you all again. I posted a plea of a fashion the other day regarding this very issue and the topic was locked and because of duplication - of which I was unaware - fair enough but I was directed as such :-- If you check the original topic you'll see that the present arrangements still apply.
There's no point having two topics about the same subject running at the same time so I've now locked this one.

I am unsure whether that was a reference to this one or a referral back to the original notes on how to initiate Photo Bucket.
I am at a complete loss as to how to post images (when required) onto the site since my total inability to open any of my Photo Bucket accounts - I actually had three - each was specific to a particular forum that would not facilitate images from ones own PC.
Yes,I have lost images to Photo Bucket but I also had back-up on a huge External Hard-drive.
I have always been a firm believer in 'Never put all of your eggs in the one basket'
Especially in the current climate of hi-jacks & ransoms.
I am not wealthy by any stretch of ones imagination and/but I would rather trash my PC than pay hard earned pensions/income to some faceless individual hiding behind the mysteries of the internet.

It is my considered opinion (for what it is worth) that this issue with Photo Bucket is only the start of further activity with other such image hosting sites.
What is more simplistic than posting images from ones own computer with safeguards put into place on the Practical Caravan site - ones that would restrict only Thumbnails being uploaded therefore taking up much less bandwidth.
Ignorance, can be Bliss,It is No Defence & Certainly not an excuse,Stupidity can be expensive and when combined, they can be disastrous.

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 3 months 1 week ago #435419

• DrZhivago
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
TheTravellingRooster wrote:
I am at a complete loss as to how to post images... onto the site since my total inability to open any of my Photo Bucket accounts ..
I understand that you can no longer link your photobucket pics from an external website (like practicalcaravan.com), which they call third party hosting. Photobucket don't like it because people seeing your pic on the external website are not also seeing the adverts that are part of Photobucket's income. From Photobucket's website :-

... new and legacy free account users will NOT have third party hosting available. If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017, you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your subscription. Non Plus 500 Account subscribers that purchased after June 1, 2017 will not have access to 3rd Party Hosting.

There is no way that Photobucket should have disabled your accounts with them, free or not. They would be open to being sued if they made your photos inaccessible to yourself without good notice. Despite that, I would never have stuff with a hosting service (including clouds) without a backup copy safely in my own possession.

I have always been a firm believer in 'Never put all of your eggs in the one basket' .. Especially in the current climate of hi-jacks & ransoms.
Exactly. And outfits like Photobucket can go bust, be hacked, or accidentally wipe everything, and you lose everything that is with them. Some cloud companies have done just that. Ironic that putting ones data in the cloud has become fashionable just when hard drives are bigger and cheaper than ever.

... I would rather trash my PC than pay hard earned pensions/income to some faceless individual hiding behind the mysteries of the internet.
You are being too hard there. It is fair enough to pay a hosting company for storage space on their drives and for their high speed connection to the internet, which will be much faster than any home connection. But it should cost far less than $399 pa, and it should be under your control and advert free. I have accounts with Aquiss and UNO on that basis, both small British companies that I don't think of as faceless, and they answer the phone too.

It is my considered opinion ... that this issue with Photo Bucket is only the start of further activity with other such image hosting sites.
It is part of a general move to get rental from internet users. Windows 10 will move to a rental model (bear it or be left behind), like Microsoft Office 365 (but what did Office 2003 not do?) and Adobe Photoshop. The idea of "Apps" on tablets is to put a layer of the software provider's control between you and your data (obscuring even the basic unit of coherent data - the file) and once having this control thay can, ultimately, make you pay for all activity. You won't need to remember to pay - for your "peace of mind" they will have your debit card details :lol:

What is more simplistic than posting images from ones own computer ... into place on the Practical Caravan site.
Simple, but it uses the site's bandwidth which gets quite expensive as traffic goes up. Every time one of us sees someone's picture, which could be a thousand times altogether, the whole file size would be downloaded from Practical Caravan's servers - but by linking to Photobucket (or elsewhere) that data flow bypasses those servers and Photobucket has to do the work - which is precisely why Photobucket don't like it..
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by DrZhivago. Reason: Clarification

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 3 months 6 days ago #435474

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 537
Hi to you all again. I posted a plea of a fashion the other day regarding this very issue and the topic was locked and because of duplication - of which I was unaware - fair enough but I was directed as such :-- If you check the original topic you'll see that the present arrangements still apply.
There's no point having two topics about the same subject running at the same time so I've now locked this one.

When similar topics which deal with the same subject appear on this forum, the duplicates are locked or removed to avoid the possibility of forum members having to look all over the message boards to reply or to read the replies.
Until we have further information from admin there's not much else that we can do about uploading pictures. Photobucket have placed restrictions on third party use so unfortunately the previous instructions can no longer be followed.
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: terence1, TheTravellingRooster

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 3 months 6 days ago #435482

• TheTravellingRooster
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Would it be fair to suggest that the age-old-adage of a Picture/Image is worth a Thousand Words - could now be reinterpreted as Picture/Images held/located on Photo Bucket can cost a great-deal of money in World Wide Blackmail Fees.
Ignorance, can be Bliss,It is No Defence & Certainly not an excuse,Stupidity can be expensive and when combined, they can be disastrous.

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 3 months 6 days ago #435487

• Tukums
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Use Flickr, no charge and you get 1TB.

Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by Tukums.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Parksy

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 3 months 6 days ago #435488

• Gafferbill
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep active be happy and stay safe
  • Thank you received: 287
........or any of these other sites

There is more than one way to skin a carrot :huh:
(Sir) Baldrick WC......I have a cunning plan again!
  GB West Sussex
The following user(s) said Thank You: Parksy

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 3 months 6 days ago #435489

• Mogwyth
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Or a commercial company that runs a website with advertising could host them themselves, the charity I run a forum for does and we don't have advertising and our users tend to post far pictures than on here due to the nature of the subject. The Land Rover forum I am on hosts its own pictures and has just one small banner ad at the top.
Discovery 3 4,4 V8 :cheer: followed by a Swift Charisma 610

Most recent caravan reviews

The Practical Caravan Coachman Pastiche 565 review – 1 - The exterior’s red graphics are reflected in detailing in the soft furnishings, while alloy wheels, a glazed entrance door and sunroof lend an upmarket feel (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan 2018 Bailey Unicorn Madrid review – 1 - There's a new look for the fourth-generation Unicorn range of Bailey caravans – here's the Madrid with a 1453kg MTPLM (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Swift Sprite Major 6 review – 1 - The rebranded-for-2018 Swift Sprite Major 6 has an MTPLM of 1468kg, while the new nose takes its aerodynamic cues from the top-of-the-pile Elegance range (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Airstream Missouri review – 1 - It couldn't be anything else, could it? And Swift's UK-spec Airstreams are approved by the NCC and are CRiS registered, for owners’ peace of mind (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on