Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pegasus Bridge Normandy

Pegasus Bridge Normandy 2 months 1 week ago #440320

• GD485
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
I have just retired and have always had an interest in WW2.
As this will be our first ever trip abroad towing the caravan I thought Normandy is a good place too start. Not too much driving but enough to get a feel of what’s it all about.
I’m hoping that someone could suggest a good site in the Caen area for our stay.
Ideally the site would be overlooking the D day beaches.
We don’t need swimming pools, bars and noise. Just somewhere peaceful and relaxing.
Also can any of you that travels in France regularly please let me know of things I should be aware of when holidaying there, thanks.

Geoff
Towing is more Brains than horsepower
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pegasus Bridge Normandy 2 months 1 week ago #440327

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 222
Make sure you understand their speed limits for towing. There's a lower limit for outfits where the combined MAM + MTPLM are above 3500 kg. This is totally independent of actual outfit weight it is the sum of plated weights. In France they have truly random breath testing and a lower limit than UK. Put spare wheel in van if it's carried underneath as in event of puncture you would be trying to pull it out in traffic flow. Take short converter cable for hook up. Have enough UK gas or you will be buying Camping Gaz and converters; messy. You could get hold of a CMHC European touring guide. Lots of sites shown in France and lots of good touring info.
We've had many lovely holidays in France so hope you do too.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Pegasus Bridge Normandy 2 months 1 week ago #440328

• GD485
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Thanks for the info Clive
Towing is more Brains than horsepower

Pegasus Bridge Normandy 2 months 1 week ago #440329

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
Hi Geoff, we toured France every 12 weeks for a month at a time, whilst I was working, for tax reasons, And the biggest problem was after the French "season" closing in September was finding sites that were open all year. The UKcampsites, .co.uk is good for finding places in France. It all depends on what time of year you want to go. There are a lot of sites along the Normandy coast during the "season" but not many afterwards, There were a few places near to Ouisterham that were open due to the ferry port. If you fancy meeting up for a pint and a talk about it, I will ask Parksy to give you my Email and phone number. Bedford George is also a great French tourer and has a lot of info,
Hutch. P
Parksy could you please let Geoff have my email address and phone number.
Thanks
Hutch.
Hutch
The site must be around here somewhere.????
2014, Sante Fe, 2013 Coachman, 560, VOP, Woburn Sands , Milton Keynes
Sir Were-Rabbit.

Pegasus Bridge Normandy 2 months 1 week ago #440333

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 357
You might want to check out the CAMC site for information on www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/...id=first_time_abroad
You will also find similar information on the C&CC site.
If you are a member of either and book your ferry and/or insurance through them you should get a pack of information.
I think the point on GTW given is incorrect. As I understand it, if the cars GTW exceeds 3,500kg then the lower speed limits apply, irrespective of whether the total of the maximum weights for the car and caravan actually exceed this.
Ray
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Raywood.

Pegasus Bridge Normandy 2 months 1 week ago #440335

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
Raywood is correct, if your cars GTW is above3500kg then you are restricted to 90 kph although the French Germans and Dutch don't seem to adhere to that. And get into the middle lane on Motorways as you come upto a joining junction as the cars and trucks just seem to pull straight out.
Most of all though have fun. Remember France closes between 12pm and 3pm. For lunch.
Hutch
The site must be around here somewhere.????
2014, Sante Fe, 2013 Coachman, 560, VOP, Woburn Sands , Milton Keynes
Sir Were-Rabbit.

Pegasus Bridge Normandy 2 months 1 week ago #440347

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 602
EH52ARH wrote:
Parksy could you please let Geoff have my email address and phone number.
Thanks
Hutch.

Consider it done Hutch :)
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH

Pegasus Bridge Normandy 2 months 1 week ago #440355

• Lappy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
GD485, with regards to the comments Hutch made about motorists just pulling out from the slip lane onto the main carriageway of the motorway, I believe that the traffic coming on from the slip lane, have priority over the traffic already on the main carriageway.
Not too sure of the truth in this, as I seem to recall that I may have read it somewhere.
I have stayed right next to the canal that Pegasus Bridge crosses, but can't think of the name of the site. I also believe it's open all year.
Regards,
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Lappy. Reason: extra word not required

Pegasus Bridge Normandy 2 months 1 week ago #440356

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
No they don’t. Autoroute has priority. "Cedez le passage" But as in UK some fail to stick by the rules. My police instructor advised going into lane 2 if clear when approaching a joining slip road. One it allows joining traffic to join. Two it keeps a safe space between you and idiots. Of course with a van on the back its not always feasible so I just look at for joining traffic and ease off if required.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by otherclive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH

Pegasus Bridge Normandy 2 months 1 week ago #440358

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Heres a useful summary for driving in France.
www.giteinbrittany.com/driving.html
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 570/4

£16,499

The Practical Caravan Venus 570/4 review – 1 - Tweaked for 2018, the Venus 570/4 is priced from £16,499 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on