Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Arrrgh - we go in a week

Arrrgh - we go in a week 3 weeks 6 days ago #471569

• Ste6t9
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Hi all.
We go abroad this time next week so now I’m trying to check everything.

My only reservation is getting on and off the ferry.

I’ve done it in the car loads of time as we use Hull regularly living so close (20 mins away)

We are crossing Hull to Rotterdam which is a HUGE ferry but I know cars definitely go in up a ramp and through a side door. Does anyone know if caravans do the same or are they round the back door with the big stuff??

Also, anything else related to Dutch/Belgian/French/Lux/German and Swiss driving will be gratefully received!!
Proud owner of a 2019 Sprite Major 6TD pulled by a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander DI-D 4

No longer a caravanning virgin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Arrrgh - we go in a week 3 weeks 6 days ago #471575

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1035
You just follow where the ferry guy put you, As for the driving in Europe, a bit slow in checking, everything is the same, check speed limits, but Switzerland you will need a Motorway pass ( Vignette) for the car and caravan about SF 40 each. And you can only take in 1 kg of meat for each person, but I have always bluffed that through.
Safe Towing, Hutch.
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.sitting in storage.
Rural Milton Keynes

Arrrgh - we go in a week 3 weeks 6 days ago #471576

• Ste6t9
  • Expert Boarder
Yep cheers for that. I’m getting more confident with the towing but I reckon the ferry will be the tightest yet!!!
Proud owner of a 2019 Sprite Major 6TD pulled by a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander DI-D 4

Arrrgh - we go in a week 3 weeks 6 days ago #471579

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1035
The ferry is the lowest problem, dont trust French Caravan parking sites on the motorways, they are too small.
Safe Towing, Hutch.
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.sitting in storage.
Rural Milton Keynes

Arrrgh - we go in a week 3 weeks 5 days ago #471582

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 647
Ste ,
don't worry mate , I ripped my battery housing door off 3 hours before we were due to go a few years ago for the first time time !!

Thursday 1st Aug' for us & cant wait this year !!

I've done three ferries ( nearly 4 ) in the last few years and other people probably more , 2 to France 1 to Holland and the two to France were & level access no problem and so was the one to Holland but on a return trip from Holland we were put on the upper level deck if that makes sense ( I'm drinking glass of wine at the same i am doing this after a midnight run ) but it was no problem apart from the bit going up the ramps but because it had been raining a bit and the ramps are a kind of metal cattle grid kind if that makes sense , the clutch was smelling a bit but others were to !! Other than that all was fine do not worry ! Enjoy . B)
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Craigyoung.

Arrrgh - we go in a week 3 weeks 5 days ago #471584

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1368
EH52ARH wrote:
The ferry is the lowest problem, dont trust French Caravan parking sites on the motorways, they are too small.

On French autoroutes there are no problems parking within the HGV areas. We always make our lunch stop before 1200 as the French nation stops for lunch soon after and getting a space can be problematic.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Arrrgh - we go in a week 3 weeks 5 days ago #471587

• Ste6t9
  • Expert Boarder
I’m more concerned about just getting it in the right place. Don’t fancy having to do any reversing inside the ferry.

As for the steel ramps, I’m at the mercy of the auto box I guess but can stick it in 4WD and low ratio so shouldn’t be a prob

Arrrgh - we go in a week 3 weeks 5 days ago #471588

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 647
Ste ,
Don't worry about any reversing malarkey , there won't be any , as you drive in and you drive out and are directed by ferry Marshall , just when they direct you around corners watch your top end on the caravan because I have heard that they don't care about bits that come down on the ferry and watch your swing when pulling out as you will be close to other vehicles but it will be clearly 1 line at a time goes out then you follow suit . :)
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Arrrgh - we go in a week 3 weeks 5 days ago #471591

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1368
Ste6t9 wrote:
I’m more concerned about just getting it in the right place. Don’t fancy having to do any reversing inside the ferry.

As for the steel ramps, I’m at the mercy of the auto box I guess but can stick it in 4WD and low ratio so shouldn’t be a prob

Despite the hectic waving forward by ships staff use your own judgment on the ramps. I tend to hover back to give very good space between me and car in front. Then engage first gear and go slowly up.

Take care disembarking don’t let euphoria overcome you and then bounce the back of your caravan on the deck.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Arrrgh - we go in a week 3 weeks 5 days ago #471597

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 795
I agree however frantic the ferry staff are, just take your time, especially if you have a steep ramp to climb or come off. Try to make sure the vehicle ahead of you is clear of the ramp as you may not want to restart on a steep wet ramp.
Other than that it should be simple and the ferry staff tend to be very precise with where they want you and give good directions.
Ray

Most recent caravan reviews

Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Cruach Culmor - Built on an Al-Ko chassis, the Culmor has an AKS hitch lock but no ATC anti-snaking. Alloys are standard - as are chic graphics (© Practical Caravan)