Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Battery charge light glass popped out

Battery charge light glass popped out 2 months 1 week ago #453907

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Hi all, hope your enjoying the sunshine and ready for some excellent holidays in your vans.
Today we were fitting a Halfords trickle charge solar panel and when we opened the battery box the battery looked as though it had been soaked in water and the little glass charger light thing had popped out.
My partner cleaned it all and pushed it back in but I'm worried as to why it came out in the first place.
Have sent the retailer a message and he's asked for photos, what that will tell him I do not know
Any ideas please
;)
I believe that if its not fun don't do it
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan
:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Battery charge light glass popped out 2 months 1 week ago #453908

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 856
Unusual. Hard to understand why a solar panel could overheat or overcharge a leisure battery.
Did you notice a smell of rotten eggs, a swelling or distortion in the battery casing? Is the ‘flood water’ actually acidic content from the battery is dilute sulphuric acid?
The fact the ‘magic eye’ has blown out makes me think an internal pressure has built up in the battery but why ,I’m not sure. Others will have some ideas.
Please let us know the final outcome in due course.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Battery charge light glass popped out 2 months 1 week ago #453909

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 785
Know it may sound a bit basic but have the small red plugs been removed from the battery. These are usually inserted after charging by the supplier and prior to transit. They seal the battery vents and are mostly fittted on the two ends and towards the top.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Battery charge light glass popped out 2 months 1 week ago #453911

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
Can't have anything to do with the solar panel as we didn't actually get round to putting it on after seeing it covered in acid water, well looked like water but obviously acid as it made partners hand itch
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by AlexandriaUK.

Battery charge light glass popped out 2 months 1 week ago #453912

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
I will get my partner to go and have a look, I have no idea and can't remember seeing them when it arrived, will let you know, thank you for your replies both
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan

Battery charge light glass popped out 2 months 1 week ago #453914

• LG57-UPS.
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
otherclive wrote:
Know it may sound a bit basic but have the small red plugs been removed from the battery. These are usually inserted after charging by the supplier and prior to transit. They seal the battery vents and are mostly fittted on the two ends and towards the top.

Just a quickie Question!
Should those plugs be thrown away,once the battery has been bought? Or are they meant to be left on?

Battery charge light glass popped out 2 months 1 week ago #453915

• LG57-UPS.
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
otherclive wrote:

Battery charge light glass popped out 2 months 1 week ago #453916

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
Good question
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan

Battery charge light glass popped out 2 months 1 week ago #453917

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 785
AlexandriaUK wrote:
I will get my partner to go and have a look, I have no idea and can't remember seeing them when it arrived, will let you know, thank you for your replies both

They will be easy to spot and any battery sent via online, or sold by a local where the customer transports the battery should have them. If you have to send an internet battery back you will need them inserted. You will then find it incredibly difficult to find a carrier as a used battery is classed as hazardous waste and very few carriage companies are licencedvto carry them. After an experience I now buy my batteries locally.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Battery charge light glass popped out 2 months 1 week ago #453933

• AlexandriaUK
  • Expert Boarder
Hi just checked the battery and ooops 2 little red plugs one each end, have removed them, do you think this could have caused the bung thing to come out
If it is fun do it more
And do it in a Caravan
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Elddis Avante 586 2019 - As a six-berth single-axle, the Avanté is a sizeable van to manoeuvre, so Al-Ko's ATC and AKS hitch stabiliser are welcome features (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 470 2019 - The revamped layout in the new Pastiche 470 might tempt buyers looking for something a bit different (© Practical Caravan)
ph01 - The Bailey Phoenix 420 has a similar look to its siblings. There’s no front gas locker, and the graphics are quite low-key (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
Bailey Phoenix 640 - The Bailey Phoenix 640 is a great starter van for comfort-seeking couples (© Practical Caravan)