Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Loss of mains power

Loss of mains power 4 months 1 day ago #454036

• Kevdell
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all new member here with a problem with my bailey pageant Bordeaux. Currently on site and mains was working went out for couple of hours came back and no mains power, 12v working ok. Pressed test switch and nothing happened. Changed cables and had each tested. Put tester on mains inlet plug to van and only left light of 3 lit up. has anyone any ideas on what problem could be.

Cheers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Loss of mains power 4 months 1 day ago #454038

• PaulT
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Have you checked the trip on the EHU bollard?
Bailey Unicorn S4 Pamplona, Volvo XC90, Mercedes SL63

Loss of mains power 4 months 1 day ago #454039

• Kevdell
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah all fine there as running lead with extension lead connected to it from post and that's working fine

Loss of mains power 4 months 1 day ago #454040

• Grey13
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
Can you explain this Put tester on mains inlet plug to van and only left light of 3 lit up
Reborn caravanner !

Loss of mains power 4 months 1 day ago #454041

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1156
Hello Kev,

Sorry to read of your problem.

I don't have enough information to be able to offer a conclusive answer, so we need to dig a little deeper. Because we are talking about mains wiring, we do need to be quite specific about what you have done, so please bear with me. You tell us the left hand light on the tester was displayed when the cables were tested, but there are many different models of tester, so without knowing exactly what each light represents, its unsafe for me to make any assumptions about what its telling us.

From your description, it reads as though something may have caused the caravans RCD (Residual Current Detector) to trip. This will disconnect the mains supply inside the caravan. Have you checked the RCD switch?

If the RCD has tripped, then it means that something has gone faulty inside the caravan. So you need to make sure every item of mains equipment is either unplugged or turned off. Then try resetting the RCD. If it immediately trips again, it means there is a fault in the wiring or an item of fixed permanently connected equipment. Unless you are a competent electrician, Do not attempt a repair, get an electrician to investigate.

If the RCD resets, then in turn switch on each of the appliances and note if any of them cause the RCD to trip. If you find one that causes it to trip, simply leave that appliance switched off or unplugged. Of course you may be able to continue your holiday and simply not use the affected appliance.

Then you have to find out whats gone wrong in the appliance. again I'd suggest only a competent electrician undertakes investigation and repair of the appliance.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevdell

Loss of mains power 4 months 1 day ago #454042

• Kevdell
  • Fresh Boarder
Had tester unit plugged into van got 3 lights on it only 1 lit up as you look at it left hand light was only one on

Loss of mains power 4 months 1 day ago #454043

• Kevdell
  • Fresh Boarder
The rcd hasn't tripped. have pressed yellow test button and nothing happens. I'm sorry don't no make of test unit used and guy who had it has now gone. All o know is its round with 3 led lights in a row, when plugged onto my lead all 3 lights came on

Loss of mains power 4 months 1 day ago #454046

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 588
Sounds like there is a problem with the mains supply or equipment into the caravan. I would try the Prof's suggestion.
Ray

Loss of mains power 4 months 1 day ago #454047

• Kevdell
  • Fresh Boarder
Have done all that. Have been told there is no power getting to the rcd is that possible

Loss of mains power 4 months 1 day ago #454048

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1156
Hello again Kev,

I'm presently looking at two makes of plug in tester, and the left hand lamp, has different meanings, so I cant draw any safe conclusion about what the single lamp means.

But it does confirm there is a problem.

May I ask you if you are experienced with mains electrical wiring? becasue to investigate any further, is almost certainly going to require exposing connections and wiring, and that has important safety implications. If you are not experienced with electrics then this is a job for a professional.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grey13

Most recent caravan reviews

Lunar Quasar 462 2019 - This season, the Quasar's exterior has a distinctive green stripe on the decals, differentiating it from other caravans at this price point (© Practical Caravan)

Venus 590/6

£18,399

Venus 590/6 - The Venus 590/6 has had a revamp inside and out, including improved exterior styling for the 2019 season (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 480 - The sweeping black front panel incorporates flush-fitting tinted windows and complements the black and brown decals (© Practical Caravan)
Buccaneer Aruba 2019 - The Buccaneer Aruba replaces the 6-berth twin-axle Galera, thanks to feedback from NEC showgoers (© Practical Caravan)