Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Alko 3004 stiff hitch head

Alko 3004 stiff hitch head 2 weeks 5 days ago #473641

• camel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Been having a problem when I couple up ,when the hitch head comes down on the tow ball I have tp give it a tap for the handle to go down, I had a good look under the hitch head this morning and the moving parts behind the rear brake pad looked very dry I gave them a very slight taste of graphite grease which solved the problem , dropped the hitch head on to the tow ball a couple of times and the handle moved smoothly down,
Last Edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by camel.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Alko 3004 stiff hitch head 2 weeks 5 days ago #473643

• CustardAvenger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
On a similar thought, I have to clean the towball and hitch head with brake cleaner before each trip otherwise i get a horrific creaking/grinding noise when towing. I'd cleaned them prior to a trip to Cornwall, towed down with no issue, then 4 nights later on the return, the noise was terrible. Have to take the brake cleaner with me now.
Paul
Volvo XC60 D4 AWD & Swift Sprite Major 4SB

Alko 3004 stiff hitch head 2 weeks 5 days ago #473644

• camel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Thats a common problem but last year after a four and a half hour journey to Wareham i was three miles from the site and I started to get a real creaking sound from the hitch, on inspection at the site there was a very slight mark on about 50% of the tow ball on inspection for some reason the screw that holds in the rear pad had somehow worked out about half a mil and had marked the tow ball out came the driver and re tightened the screw no problem since,
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Pegasus Rimini - The new Pegasus is now 8ft wide, but its profile remains pretty much the same, except for smart new graphics (© Practical Caravan)