Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nose Weight

Nose Weight 2 weeks 13 hours ago #440308

• Lappy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
With regards to M30bdg's visit to his Citroen Dealership and the manager not knowing the unladen weight of his caravan, begs the question of how many of us actually know the unladen weight of our vans.
I have never taken my van to a weighbridge, as the local one to me at the Bath/Stroud junction of the M4, does not accept caravans. I have always relied on the information I have been given on the plate below the door.
I trust Adria and I have had no concerns, that would justify verification by an independent body. I have checked the noseweight, but do not recheck on a regular basis.
regards,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Nose Weight 2 weeks 13 hours ago #440309

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160
Lappy wrote:
With regards to M30bdg's visit to his Citroen Dealership and the manager not knowing the unladen weight of his caravan, begs the question of how many of us actually know the unladen weight of our vans.
I have never taken my van to a weighbridge, as the local one to me at the Bath/Stroud junction of the M4, does not accept caravans. I have always relied on the information I have been given on the plate below the door.
I trust Adria and I have had no concerns, that would justify verification by an independent body. I have checked the noseweight, but do not recheck on a regular basis.
regards,

There's one near Chippenham at Allington and another on the Longleat estate which is for lighter vehicles not 40 tonne HGVs. The one on the M4 A46 junction is an official VOSA vehicle check point.
Skoda Superb 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 13 hours ago by otherclive.

Nose Weight 2 weeks 13 hours ago #440310

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 100
Lappy ,
There must be someone in your area that will be able to offer a car and caravan on a weighbridge the one beside us you just drive in and around press a button and drive your axles over the rollers slowly and it gives you your weights at the end, no need for unhooking the caravan and weighing separately , the one we use is also unmanned .
Craig .
Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone)!?

Nose Weight 2 weeks 12 hours ago #440312

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160
Lappy wrote:
regards,

Whilst you may trust Adria, do you know what the `MRO includes as it is not the unladen weight of the caravan? Or does your caravan pre-date MRO? Also as most people choose caravans with a MRO, or Unladen Weight within the car's capability surely the weight that is key to your safety and legality is the laden weight. Seeing what some people arrive with on site I venture to suggest that there are a sizeable number of caravans on our roads that are overloaded. How do you know that your caravan is within its MTPLM when you are touring?
Skoda Superb 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 12 hours ago by otherclive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WoodlandsCamper, Martin24, Craigyoung, EH52ARH

Nose Weight 2 weeks 8 hours ago #440336

• M30bdg
  • Fresh Boarder
Lappy, my post referred to the manager not knowing the LADEN weight of his caravan, not the UNLADEN weight. The unladen weight is immaterial in terms of towing limits, it's the actual weight of the trailer being towed that matters, but you're right, a trip to a Weighbridge could be in order for him. Perhaps there's a lesson for all caravanners here, if you don't know the laden weight and noseweight of the caravan you're towing, and the towing limit and noseweight limit of the vehicle you're towing with, how do you know you're not breaking the law when you're towing ?
Last Edit: 2 weeks 8 hours ago by M30bdg.

Nose Weight 2 weeks 8 hours ago #440337

• Lappy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Otherclive, Thanks for the info about the weighbridge at Chippenham.
I have checked the MiRO stated in the owners manual and it's given as 1560kg The MTPLM is given as 1800kg
The MiRO figure on the plate is given as 1675kg but this I assume, includes the spare wheel, leisure battery and two 11kg gas bottles.
I will see how much they charge to use the weighbridge, but as I get around 17/18mpg towing this is not one of my priorities at present. Service due end of month around £230
Regards,

Nose Weight 1 week 12 hours ago #440595

• M30bdg
  • Fresh Boarder
No call from the Dealer Principal on Monday or Tuesday, despite the Fleet Manager promising that I'd get a call on Monday ! I wonder if the dealership thinks I'll just forget about this & leave them alone if they ignore me ? Err, wake up, Evans Halshaw & Citroen, I am most definitely not giving this up without a fight !

Finally spoke to the DP late on Tuesday, but he, quite reasonably, doesn't understand all the intricacies of towing weights, although admitting that there is obviously an issue that needs resolving. Turns out a Citroen UK after-sales guy was due @ the dealership yesterday , but when the DP showed him my letter, he was stumped as well, so he's passing it on to a 'vehicle-specific manager' @ CUK. I've also emailed CUK directly, as suggested by the DP.

Reluctantly, I think we've pretty much decided that whatever happens, we will definitely be changing the C3 Picasso for something that will actually tow the Ranger legally. Although it's ideal as an everyday car, loads of space for passengers & luggage, easy to drive and lots of useful stuff like panoramic roof & parking sensors, the fuel economy is poor, about 41 mpg on a mix of about 40% urban, 20% country roads & 40% Motorways. We've lost all confidence in its ability to tow the 'van - even if CUK claim that it's a misprint, clerical error or whatever, there must be a genuine reason for them reducing the towing & noseweight limits for the 'new' engines. I'm not prepared to risk breaking the law or trying to prove that Citroen's published figures are wrong. Car search time, then, deep joy ! :S
Last Edit: 1 week 12 hours ago by M30bdg.
  • Page:

Follow us on